Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing a slight whine from my automatic transmission ('05 LX). It only happens when the transmission is in 4th gear and I am accelerating. It is a fairly high-pitched whine. It almost sounds like a high-pitched vacuum leak but since it only happens in 4th gear I believe that rules out a vacuum leak. I am guessing it is a bushing or bearing in the transmission. I have no codes and the transmission shifts and runs fine else wise. Anybody have similar noises?

I purchased the vehicle with 93,000 and it is now approaching 97,000. I hadn't noticed it until a couple of weeks ago. It has gotten colder here and I am thinking the cold might be what made it show up. I am the second owner and have no warranty on this vehicle so if it fails I am guessing Honda isn't going to do anything for me.

I am planning to do a full flush and fill. I found good information in a Honda Technical Bulletin that I will use. (I am posting it under the title, Automatic Transmission Flush and Fill). Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. I think my 4th gear whine started shortly after the oil jet was installed at 22K, or possibly after the 30K service. It initially sounded like a vac. leak, and as it got worse, sounded more like a jet engine spinning up. The dealer did the normal d/f at 32K and 64K. At 86K and 2 days into a 5200 mile trip, I got a flashing D light - no codes. Fluid looked a little darker than normal. Shifts started getting a little rough. When I got home at 90K, I did a 3x d/f with Honda ATF-Z1 and changed the external filter. I cut it open and it didn't look that bad. My whine did not improve, but shifts are a little smoother. At 96K I pulled pressure sol. A/B and C and checked the screens. Looked fine. At 96K and 102K I did d/f's with ATF-DW1. I'll do one more d/f with DW1 at 108K, but nothing is helping. Outside temp. has no effect on my level of whine.
Looking at the AT diagram, 3rd, 4th, & 5th gears are on the same shaft. It would seem since I don't get the whine in 3rd or 5th, it must be the 4th gear bearings alone that is going bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts