Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a high mileage 05+ odyssey and I was looking to hear how many miles some of you are up to with these newer models.

Please post up your:

YEAR
TRIM
MILES
Any major problems you have had with the tranny or engine or substantially expensive part.

Look forward to purchasing soon.

·
Registered
755 Posts
05 touring res/nav with 117k miles. Only problems I've had was the ps pump, rear engine mount, and a cat converter. Now my car shudders a little bit, but since some ppl had success with changing the oil, I'm going to try that route and see how everything goes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
LX

We bought the van a month ago and have put 1k miles on it ourselves. The previous owner did a decent ammount of driving.

I don't have any real complaints.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have an 06, and am up to 90,000. Got it new in March of 06. I do however now go over 30,000 miles a year. (Not evenly spread out over the vehicle life.) The highest numbers I remember was someone going over 50,000 a year in the DC area and someone going in the high 40,000. "Mr. Courier Route" in Ohio tops all I've ever heard on here. Maybe he'll weigh in on the specifics. (Sorry I can't remember who that is.):(

·
Registered
60 Posts
2005 EX-L

Bought new, no problem whatsoever with the engine/drivetrain
(only one problem was rear auto door when it was 6 months old - it was fixed under warranty, and the issue never came back)

·
Registered
516 Posts
2005 EX-L
98k miles
no major problems whatsoever.
Windshield cowl was replaced by dealer early on because of the whine and brake groanings were fixed under warranty via the TSB

oh yea, our ody has been parked outside for six years under the socal sun..paint and plastics still seem fine also the headlights seems like they are starting to yellow

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
We've only put 70k miles on ours so far. Good driving vehicle...has the power steering issue that doesn't like to go away for long...but otherwise everything else runs quite smooth. Had a few first-year issues that were all fixed under the 3/36 warranty. Beyond the power steering, the only other repairs we've paid for is an adjustment to a sliding door and a loose connection on the DVD player. So about $300 for power steering issues and $100 for the others. Pretty cheap in my book.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2007 EXL
79 000 miles 125 000 kilometers
Torque Converter replaced at 60 000 miles 99 000 kilometers.
Driver Seat Cover repalced early wear. The second seat cover is wearing out now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
high mileage

2006 LX
117K miles
No issues - Keeps going without any problems. I do oil change every 3K and regular maint. Have replaced belts and waterpump just as routine maint.

·
Registered
804 Posts
2005 EX-L/Nav/RES purchased 10/2004
89,000 miles
Replaced Struts, A/C Condensor replaced, and of course other things I can't remember. Overall, I'm very happy with it and keeping it for at least another 2 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2006 touring model
original owner
68,XXX miles

major-major repairs cost were just to "De-Pax" and to get new wheels and tires. otherwise regular maintenance has been done with fluids etc. next up is timing belt and water pump related stuff.

·
Registered
121 Posts
125,324. Timing belt being replaced today. Possibly wheel bearings. Way too much money at once. Oh, also may need a new rear motor mount too :mad:

Power steering is noisy. Needs a new pump to fix problem but I have way too many miles for Honda to replace it for free even though it has whined for 80,000 miles.

Dealership drove me home in an Odyssey and I can't believe how quite it was compared to mine. I also have a high pitched whine that is not the PS unit, transmission or wheel bearings.

The passenger mirror broke of for no reason. Thankfully found a replacement on RockAuto for $48 instead of the $249 a dealer quoted.

Had an air bag sensor under the passenger seat that needed repair. Was $99 to fix (Now it is covered under a recall or TSB should anyone else have the same issue).

Other issues too, glove box breaking, rear seat cover keeps coming off, squeaking doors, dash vent breaking, roof vent breaking, etc.

Less issues than other brands but I thought this would be better. It's paid off now and we will probably keep it since our income is down substantially due to the economy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my dad has a '05 ex-l and has 202k miles at the moment. i think he's shooting for another 200k before he's ready for the next ody/sienna.

so far, timing belt and water pump has been changed. vcm motor mounts are shot (being replaced). transmission is also on its way out so we're swapping in another one with 20k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 Ody RES/Navi
98200 miles
Factory replaced carpet at 8K due to defect, PS pump repl under warranty, front wheel bearing under warranty, nothing else major. A/C condenser replaced 2x, but I've installed a grille protector to keep that from happening again. Regular maintenance every 5K or so and scheduled major maintenance. Left rear shock is beginning to leak, and rear rotors (they say) are warping, so those will be next items to replace. On 3rd set of tires (love that Tires For Life program!), 3rd set of brakes.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hit 100k!

Had the timing belt done, coolant changed.
on the 2nd set of tires, 2nd battery, 2nd set of front brakes, rear pads are still original but almost done.
I think that's about it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
h2ofreeze said:
2005 Ody RES/Navi
98200 miles
Factory replaced carpet at 8K due to defect, PS pump repl under warranty, front wheel bearing under warranty, nothing else major. A/C condenser replaced 2x, but I've installed a grille protector to keep that from happening again. Regular maintenance every 5K or so and scheduled major maintenance. Left rear shock is beginning to leak, and rear rotors (they say) are warping, so those will be next items to replace. On 3rd set of tires (love that Tires For Life program!), 3rd set of brakes.
Tires for life?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Nor_Cal_Guy said:
Tires for life?
A lot of dealers offer "extras" when selling a car. It's pure marketing for the most part, particularly free oil changes. It pretty much guarantees they're going to get you back in their service bay every xx miles and you'll be more likely to have them perform other more lucrative service. Statistically they make out on these programs....otherwise they wouldn't offer them. My family used to own some dealerships so I'm pretty familiar with them. The tire programs many times were underwritten by an outside source. So the dealer basically bought the tire program and many times buried it somewhere in the cost of the car. Sort of like a warranty or prepaid item.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Tires for Life...
We purchased a pre-paid maintenance program, which was about a wash, since we use this vehicle a lot. The tires for life was 'thrown in', and I was careful to make sure they didn't add in the cost somewhere else when we made the deal, and they didn't. I'll bet they didn't anticipate us keeping the Ody this long, as they've offered to buy back/trade in several times. We do need to do the regular scheduled maintenance at the dealer (oil changes, air filters, flushes, etc) to keep the Tires for Life benefit, but I don't think I've ever paid their 'full' price for maintenance, as I bring in competitors ads, coupons, etc. Sure, I bet I'm not saving any $ compared to doing it myself, but on those occasions that there is a questionable 'warranty' repair, even outside of warranty, they'll usually make it work so it's covered. Their service dept is convenient and not too far out of the way. No complaints about our experience with them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I currently have 240,000 miles ( give or take a few thousand) on my honda. I've done routine work on the car ( oil changes-synthetic oil, spark plugs-120,000 miles, timing belt and water pump-150,000, new front rotors- 210,000, new pads 210,000, air filters every 40,000 miles, etc...) The only issue I had was that front bearings should only be done at the dealership. I had guy do them and he messed them up. To save $200 from the dealership I ended up an addtional $500 after everything done. Other than this I have found the odyssey to be an ideal courier vehicle. Oh and I always seem to need a wheel alignment every 5 months.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts