Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago i thought my tranny was slipping, so i added a bottle of lucas....seemed fine. only cause i drive 15min to and from work...ody never reached over 50mph..last week my brother borrowed van for a trip to pa....an hour into ride trans starts slipping...so he pulled over and called me... when i got there i saw it was leaking all over the top of trans. called a tow truck, and took it to mechanic..he filled up trans with fluid, i waited a few days, no leaks... to day i got to ody start it put it in gear and no problem....it seems to be driving normal acceleration, shift points and so on...any ideas on what happened? did i over fill, do i need trans cooler? car has 130k.. please help...

·
Registered
28 Posts
2 weeks ago i thought my tranny was slipping, so i added a bottle of lucas....seemed fine. only cause i drive 15min to and from work...ody never reached over 50mph..last week my brother borrowed van for a trip to pa....an hour into ride trans starts slipping...so he pulled over and called me... when i got there i saw it was leaking all over the top of trans. called a tow truck, and took it to mechanic..he filled up trans with fluid, i waited a few days, no leaks... to day i got to ody start it put it in gear and no problem....it seems to be driving normal acceleration, shift points and so on...any ideas on what happened? did i over fill, do i need trans cooler? car has 130k.. please help...
Fluid will puke out if you overfill some transmissions, not sure about yours. How much fluid was in the transmission when you added the Lucas? Was it low? Did the fluid foam out?

What makes you think the transmission is slipping? What gears is this happening in?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like it was overfilled and then you added junk to it. Often overfilling isn't noticed until the trans gets up to operating temp or a little higher and the fluid expands causing issues. You're lucky you didn't end up with a car fire.

Also check the engine oil and coolant condition and level. You don't want one leaking into the other.

Get the trans up to temp (20 minutes of high speed driving) then find a nice level spot (Gas station near pumps) and check the fluid carefully (Car idling with trans in park). If still high drain to fix.

I would eventually drain all the current fluid (and trans additive) out but would check level first and drive for a while to rule out a larger issue before putting $100 of new DW-1 in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts