Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Ody has been going over speed bumps like a granny for a while now. When her rear end goes over bump she comes down hard. Like smack your a$$ hard. I go at an angle over bumps, doesn't help. I go close to 0 mph over bumps doesn't help.
What needs repairing so my life doesn't require a chiropractic visit soon?!

Shocks, struts, alignment, CV boots?

Thanks from The Mom Uber in the rainy PNW

·
Registered
2005 Honda Odyssey... for towing, camping, & fetching parts for the German cars. :-/
49 Posts
Hi The Mom Uber in the rainy PNW-

We bought an 95 from a good friend a couple of years ago. ~200k miles. Ours was pig-ish in that it wallowed & bounce, but the front in our case. Over time, we've replaced struts, lower control arms (soooo cheap, why replace the bushings???), sway bar tie rod, outer steering tie rods, and both CV axles. Now it drives like a NEW van. :cool: Oh, new shocks in the back, too.

That might seem a little daunting, but if one uses aftermarket parts (1aauto.com is our fave), it's not even $1000. Also, you don't need special tools for that stuff (ok... an axle nut socket, but auto parts stores have those as loaners; you "buy" the loaner & they give your $ back when you return it). YouTube has ALL these procedures & almost anybody can do the procedures. Way slower than a mechanic? Sure, but the labor to do all those probably probably exceeds what you paid for the van.

But... the REAR end... you need to crawl under & look. A spring could be broken (though not likely). Replace your rear shocks; it's near certain that they're shot they're so cheap you should just do this one preemptively. Finally, the trailing arm bushings could be shot. "Eric the Car Guy" has a great video about this
(it's not an Odyssey, but is a Honda & the basic design is similar). This repair is a bit tougher, but still do-able by enthusiastic amateurs.

Good luck! Also, don't sweat spending $1k or even $1500 on an old van. It'll buy you reliable transportation & doesn't even amount to the down payment on a new (or new-ish) replacement!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
If the sound if coming from the rear then the best thing to do is to pull the rear wheels off and inspect the suspension components.
Most likely your shocks are blown and your spring plastic and rubber cushions are gone. Also check the bumpstop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi The Mom Uber in the rainy PNW-

We bought an 95 from a good friend a couple of years ago. ~200k miles. Ours was pig-ish in that it wallowed & bounce, but the front in our case. Over time, we've replaced struts, lower control arms (soooo cheap, why replace the bushings???), sway bar tie rod, outer steering tie rods, and both CV axles. Now it drives like a NEW van. :cool: Oh, new shocks in the back, too.

That might seem a little daunting, but if one uses aftermarket parts (1aauto.com is our fave), it's not even $1000. Also, you don't need special tools for that stuff (ok... an axle nut socket, but auto parts stores have those as loaners; you "buy" the loaner & they give your $ back when you return it). YouTube has ALL these procedures & almost anybody can do the procedures. Way slower than a mechanic? Sure, but the labor to do all those probably probably exceeds what you paid for the van.

But... the REAR end... you need to crawl under & look. A spring could be broken (though not likely). Replace your rear shocks; it's near certain that they're shot they're so cheap you should just do this one preemptively. Finally, the trailing arm bushings could be shot. "Eric the Car Guy" has a great video about this
(it's not an Odyssey, but is a Honda & the basic design is similar). This repair is a bit tougher, but still do-able by enthusiastic amateurs.

Good luck! Also, don't sweat spending $1k or even $1500 on an old van. It'll buy you reliable transportation & doesn't even amount to the down payment on a new (or new-ish) replacement!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy piggish Cow! That's a lot of parts/repairs. Did any of it reduce road noise, improve gas mileage or at least reduce the bathroom needs of your riders- the whole "I know it was a short ride mom but it was so bumpy I gotta pee again!" Issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear shocks are probably the culprit. Not hearing a noise so much as feeling the distinctive Ouch each time there is a bump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my 2007 EX, I replaced most of the front and rear suspension parts myself over a 2 year period: Front (Quick Struts, Lower Control Arms, Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends) & Rear (Shocks, Upper & Lower Control Arms, Springs). When I replaced the Rear Springs, I also installed AirLift 1000 system (See installation video) for ~$80 from Advanced Auto after coupon. Other than the drilling part shown (I broke my step bit), it was an easy install. My Odyssey definitely rides better when I have a bunch of stuff or people in it now, and when I go over bumps.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Have a friend follow you on the highway, and watch what is happening with the front and rear wheels. If the struts or shocks are blown, the wheels will be bouncing all over the place.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Odyssey... for towing, camping, & fetching parts for the German cars. :-/
49 Posts
Holy piggish Cow! That's a lot of parts/repairs. Did any of it reduce road noise, improve gas mileage or at least reduce the bathroom needs of your riders- the whole "I know it was a short ride mom but it was so bumpy I gotta pee again!" Issue?
Yes, ma'am... all that work makes the old Odyssey ride & drive like a new-ish van. And as for "a lot" I boil it down to dollars. We haven't spent much actual money - since I'm able to do the work myself, ALL those parts don't add up to quite two car payments on a new van.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should have asked if the rear shocks being dead could be the culprit for less than amazing gas mileage?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I should have asked if the rear shocks being dead could be the culprit for less than amazing gas mileage?
Really wouldn't affect gas mileage but it will make the tires wear out...and make you pee after a short ride lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts