Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I just bought an 05 Odyssey EX (no leather). Under the hood on the motor it states 3.5 L I-VTEC VCM. Just wondering if they made EX with VCM engines? Also, I haven't noticed the ECO light on yet (I see where it is in the display), but I have only been driving a couple of days and haven't been looking hard.

Also mine has a 2" hitch and the electrical hookup for a trailer (looks factory) not sure if the towing package makes a difference in the engine? Whats the ballpark figure for adding a towing package anyway?

THanks everybody (this is my first post,I Just joined!)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Can you post pictures of the engine and the interior center console and dash?

No, the EX model should not have come with VCM. Only EX-L and Touring! So something is wacky there... Either someone swapped engines on you or they swapped all the seats! We can help you with pictures!

The other thing you can do is go to OwnerLink at https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda
Sign up and add your VIN. The site will tell you based on the VIN, what year, model, and trim your van is so you know for sure what it was originally!

Let us know what it says! I'm curious now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the quick reply. So Attached are the pictures, it is an EX as per CarFAX (statement below). I have also attached the pics requested. I agree it could have been an engine cover swap, although not sure why one would do that. IMG_4642.jpg IMG_4643.jpg IMG_4644.jpg

2005 HONDA ODYSSEY EX

VIN: 5FNRL38445B500386
Body Style: SPORTS VAN
Engine Size: 3.5L V6 MPI SOHC 24V
Drivetrain: FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
S

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
On a related note, it is sad that Honda now includes this failed technology VCM on all 2011 models.
If you buy a 2011 model, you get this VCM junk.

Maybe this is the end of Honda for me...

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
The OP (RicoPet) is from Canada and Canada has different configurations. So, perhaps Canadian EX does indeed came with VCM?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Nope, same as the US, no VCM on LX and EX. EX-L came with leather and a sunroof, which is hard to conceal... :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
On a related note, it is sad that Honda now includes this failed technology VCM on all 2011 models.
Why is VCM a failed technology? The issues with the 2000-2005s are many (transmission, power steering, power doors...) but VCM does not seem troublesomes so far.

Nicolas

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think he means a failed technology in that it provides only a miniscule improvement in fuel economy. For all the complexity involved in implementing VCM, you don't get much benefit from it and it adds some problems as well like vibrations and rumbling sounds and the various other things other members here have reported. It is fine mostly fine until things go wrong later in the van's life. Like all things, increasing complexity = more things to go wrong. I would much rather have the normal non-VCM motor in my Ody, but unfortunately, they didn't make that available in the upper trims of the 05-08 and now it's in all models! They could probably have gotten the same mileage improvements by spec'ing 0w-20 oil in the non-VCM motor back in 05!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think he means a failed technology in that it provides only a miniscule improvement in fuel economy. For all the complexity involved in implementing VCM, you don't get much benefit from it and it adds some problems as well like vibrations and rumbling sounds and the various other things other members here have reported. It is fine mostly fine until things go wrong later in the van's life. Like all things, increasing complexity = more things to go wrong. I would much rather have the normal non-VCM motor in my Ody, but unfortunately, they didn't make that available in the upper trims of the 05-08 and now it's in all models! They could probably have gotten the same mileage improvements by spec'ing 0w-20 oil in the non-VCM motor back in 05!
I stand explained to. :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Why is VCM a failed technology? The issues with the 2000-2005s are many (transmission, power steering, power doors...) but VCM does not seem troublesomes so far.

Nicolas
In my line of work, we use a lot of technology because it makes things better. So I like new technology with a caveat.

If a new technology makes things better, then do it.
If a new technology makes things worse, get rid of it.

------------
Back to Honda:

1- VTEC was a good invention, so the VTEC technology was a good innovation.
2- VCM: the idea is nice (saving fuel) but in reality, it does not. I have yet to see independent proof that VCM saves gasoline. The basic law of Physics sated that at a particular speed (such as 60mph on highway), the vehicle needs a certain amount of gasoline to overcome friction (from tire friction and air drag). Turning off a few cylinders (2-3 cylinders) now creates more strain on the other 4 cylinders, and perhaps these 4 cylinders require more gasoline to run, so the end effect is the same.
The better approach is to allow all 6 cylinders to run (when car is on cruise control) but lean the mixture a bit.

------------
Do a google search on "Honda VCM issue". And you will see.

Many people on the internet think VCM should be phased out.

Honda Accord VCM - Car Forums - Edmunds

"Yea, the VCM is an irritant but even I wouldn't call it a downright catastrophe. Like I said, if it doesn't bother you I'm happy for you, although I sincerely believe that Honda needs to phase this technology out"

"If you google Honda Pilot VCM you will get tons of posts complaining about it as well. In fact its even mentioned in Wikipedia."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Everyone, THis is a great site and I appreciate all of the responses. Next time I have it in the shop I will confirm if it is VCM or not and post it.

Cheers

Rico

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
In my line of work, we use a lot of technology because it makes things better. So I like new technology with a caveat.

If a new technology makes things better, then do it.
If a new technology makes things worse, get rid of it.

------------
Back to Honda:

1- VTEC was a good invention, so the VTEC technology was a good innovation.
2- VCM: the idea is nice (saving fuel) but in reality, it does not. I have yet to see independent proof that VCM saves gasoline. The basic law of Physics sated that at a particular speed (such as 60mph on highway), the vehicle needs a certain amount of gasoline to overcome friction (from tire friction and air drag). Turning off a few cylinders (2-3 cylinders) now creates more strain on the other 4 cylinders, and perhaps these 4 cylinders require more gasoline to run, so the end effect is the same.
The better approach is to allow all 6 cylinders to run (when car is on cruise control) but lean the mixture a bit.

------------
Do a google search on "Honda VCM issue". And you will see.

Many people on the internet think VCM should be phased out.

Honda Accord VCM - Car Forums - Edmunds"Yea, the VCM is an irritant but even I wouldn't call it a downright catastrophe. Like I said, if it doesn't bother you I'm happy for you, although I sincerely believe that Honda needs to phase this technology out"

"If you google Honda Pilot VCM you will get tons of posts complaining about it as well. In fact its even mentioned in Wikipedia."
I'm with you all the way, except for the last sentence about leaning out the fuel when cruising. Good idea, but there's a limit to how lean it can go. I say, hang the few drops of gas saved and run on 6 cylinders all the time. I also sacrifice fuel economy and drive in D3 when in stop-and-go traffic - a little more fuel but less wear and tear on the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
RICO

Did you see my post? Wouldn't a VCM motor have the light on the dashboard flashing back and forth when it kicks in and out? The 2005 I am getting has it.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I also call it a nice idea, old and with a poor execution, but not a failure. Until there is another similar van with the mileage many of us get on the highway I'm willing to put with the side effects of the VCM, and Honda will not consider it a failed technology (PAX?). It is getting old though, Hyundai, Mazda have better, less intrusive, more efficient technologies nowadays. There is a link with some people hitting 29.2 MPG highway (long, averaged numbers)

No scientific proof, but if I compare to my current and past rides through the same trip (much lighter cars, 4 cylinder, manual transmission) and actual rentals, the Odyssey pretty much beats them. That to me is enough :dunno:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/151788-post-picture-your-best-mpg.html

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Until there is another similar van with the mileage many of us get on the highway I'm willing to put with the side effects of the VCM, and Honda will not consider it a failed technology (PAX?).
I know where cnn is coming from. In the prior gen, EX and LX had the regular motor and the EX-L and up had the VCM crap. MPG was virtually the same with only a mile or 2 a gallon different and the VCM added this whole extra lugging and what not issues. Yes the LX and EX lug too due to the tranny logic but the complaints are far far less than the VCM equipped vans. I too would be in the VCM is a failed technology camp unfortunately based on what I have read on here. Now, granted, I have not driven a 3rd gen LX or EX and all my gripes come from my EX-L ownership but since the MPG gained is virtually zero with this VCM stuff, it fails in my book with or without the lugging, droning, shaking, vibrating complaints.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I have not driven a 3rd gen LX or EX and all my gripes come from my EX-L ownership but since the MPG gained is virtually zero with this VCM stuff, it fails in my book with or without the lugging, droning, shaking, vibrating complaints.
Is it that bad in your van? If you are a forum member since 2001, currently own a 2007 with VCM, and the VCM showed up since the 2005 MY, Why did you still take the plunge on one? At least you should have waited for the 2008 VCM MY improvements ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Is it that bad in your van? If you are a forum member since 2001, currently own a 2007 with VCM, and the VCM showed up since the 2005 MY, Why did you still take the plunge on one? At least you should have waited for the 2008 VCM MY improvements ;)
You have a valid point. BUT. The chronic lugging/droning issues didn't pick up heat and I wasn't that much regular between 2004 - 2007. I knew all about the tranny issues and still bought the Ody as Honda was standing behind the tranny and goodwilling a LOT in 2006/2007 era. Didn't know about the VCM2 with the 2008 MY till after the first one appeared on the lots. Honda was sort of secretive on that one. And yes, I feel its that bad in mine. But then I am picky as hell and can feel every little imperfection/rumble/vibration etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As i put more miles on the van, VCM-related lugging, vibrations become more noticeable.
I don't know if the 4th generation Ody's VCM is better than my 2008's version.
I just wish Honda would publish a way to turn off VCM.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts