Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a ticking noise at idle this morning and can feel a "tick" when I place my fingers on top of the coil 4 but not the others. I won't get a chance to pull that coil and plug until I get home today but had a few questions. Is this just a loose spark plug ? Valve noise ? anyone experience something like this ? I have 160K miles and I don't think the valves have ever been adjusted that I am aware of, purchased this used at 130K.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Easiest place to start would be to pull and replace all of the plugs. If it continues, try swapping the coil with another one on the engine to see if it has gone bad. Not likely, but possible. Then, if you still hear it, look into a valve adjustment.

Has the timing belt been done on the van? It could be from the tensioner (not likely considering you said specifically cylinder 4, but a thought).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
It could be as simple as a cracked plug grounding to the head and not combusting.

Do you smell raw fuel from the exhaust?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No fuel smell, the car runs well and NO misfire codes. Keeping fingers crossed that it's just a loose plug that I can take a closer look when I get home from work.

·
Registered
435 Posts
At this age, it's probably worth just replacing them. I'd at least get a set in case the one is cracked. Had it happen a few years ago on my old Avalon

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has the 100K maintenance been done? Plugs, belts, tensioners, pulleys, pumps, etc.? Check the plug gap when you pull that cylinder. Gaps worn out of spec will stress the coil on plug. Gap should be around .044 inch or 1.12mm and they should be Denso or NGK iridiums.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ashrim 98 is 80% correct. These(NGK/OEM) were replaced about 15K ago so I'll just replace the one.

Scrounged up a socket set at work and pulled the plug and the ceramic insulator is free spinning letting compression escape through the plug.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty sure I didn't over torque. I finger tighten with extension then maybe a 1/2 turn after I feel any resistance. Anecdotal evidence of other online complaints of NGK plugs insulators coming loose. If I grab the insulator it is still connected to the center and the electrode spins with it. I think it's a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
636 Posts
OP. Did you save the plug? Compare it to a new one very closely. Can you verify if it's OEM quality or fake.
Where (site) and how much did you pay for the set of plugs you installed earlier. ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did compare and the failed one looks like a genuine according to what I found on the NGK site. I can't remember where I sources these buy I did inspect them and the packaging. Why would I replace the other 5 ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 05 started a ticking noise that sounded like lifter. Had a shop check out the noise and they thought it was a rod. I started looking for a engine replacement when I decided to investigate further, only to discover that I couldn't remove the no. 3 spark plug. After several days of fishing bits of spark plug out of the engine, I installed a coil sert and a new plug and saved the cost of a engine replacement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice work. Maybe they were over-torqued?
I just hope you did not tighten that new cold plug strongly into a warm engine. If so, let’s hope you never have to remove it. My son in law is still working on a broken off plug with the threads still in the hole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts