Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through many of the sliding door problems on these forums and have yet to find anybody with the same problem I'm having...
Hoping somebody with more mechanical experience than me may have an idea of what might be the cause of my problem.

Symptoms - when using either the key FOB or the button on the driver left side dashboard, the door will not open. It will sound like it's trying to open, then go "click click click click click" and do basically nothing.
The door can be opened manually from the inside/outside handles. When I say manually, I mean that when you pull the handle, it will make the same clicking noise described above but as long as you hold the handle and kind of "help" the door open it will "catch", you can remove your hand from the handle and it will open normally. Same thing for closing. Pull the handle and as long as you continue to hold/pull the handle it will click for a bit until it catches and then close automatically all the way.

Asked the dealer about it last time I was there and all he could tell me was that it was hundreds of dollars to even diagnose because of the labor involved in opening up the door.

Hoping somebody can help?
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spend hours learning about our 99 odyssey door problems. There were a lot of TSB on the power doors. I dont know if there are any on the 05's. Do you own a servie manual. I just purchasd one for my 05 touring. It's bigger than a phone book, well work the money.

When I serviced both of my doors, I had to replace rollers, closer motor, fix both handles and do troubleshooting. The panels are easy to remove, remove the seat to give you more room. I would buy a honda service manual, You will have hundreds or thousands of dollars in future repairs with it.

My quess your problem is the closer motor. It's reponsible for releasing and completeing the final "close" or the door as it pulls it's self in to the jamb. The service manual will give you step by step directions and voltages to check. You could purchase a new closer motor from your rip off of a honda dealer, try the part and if it doesn't fix it, return it.

When you remove the interior door panel, the closer motor is located in the lower rear (towards the rear tire) of the door panel. There's only a 6 or so bolts holding it in and a few cables attached.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can someone look (and listen) - this is the problem I am facing, and it is almost exactly like OP had. Odyssey LX 2003. I couldn't video that, but it looks like a roller is trying to pull the door open, but can't. Here's the link to my video:

I replaced a lock mechanism (72610-S0X-A52, LOCK ASSY., R. SLIDE DOOR), initially thought this is the one that gives me trouble, but that changed nothing - same sounds, and the door still can only be opened using handle

Any suggestions what could it be?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks and sounds like the latch motor, only motor that is used in the initial opening of the door and the same motor that closes the last few inches. Easy to fix, took me about 30 minutes each side.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks and sounds like the latch motor, only motor that is used in the initial opening of the door and the same motor that closes the last few inches. Easy to fix, took me about 30 minutes each side.
What is latch motor - is it this part ? I just swapped that part, and no happiness...

·
Registered
104 Posts
yep that is the latch motor. Hm, is the door opening and closing smoothly?
Closing fine... Opening is where the problem starts. I don't think the latch opens at all. Also: when I pull the door manually, if I use the inner handle to open the latch (basically: just pull it quickly and hear the latch opening), but don't physically push it another inch, then it won't open. It would make the same sound, then reverse and close the door back.

·
Registered
375 Posts
One other thing to check is the center roller- that is the hinge in the middle back of the door, you can see it when it opens, try lubricating that, i just changed mine and they were almost seized thus making it harder to open and close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Door Problems

I had a similar issue with my 06 EXL passenger slider. After researching on here I decided to try and replace the actuator motor. Replaced about six months ago and hasn't happened since. I expected to see some worn gears or missing teeth when I opened the original part, but everything "looked" fine. Here is the part I replaced.

72623-SHJ-A21 Actuator Assembly Passenger 72623-SHJ-A21
1 $28.82 $28.82

Good luck if you decide to try this, it worked for me, but YMMV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have this same problem but on the driver's (Left) side. The part number for that is: 72663-SHJ-A21
I hope to fix that this weekend, along with the HVAC lights that have burned out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts