Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the oddy in for the brake cylinder recall and fianlly got around to getting the Power Stearing resivour swaped out. While they had it in, I asked about brake life left. they mentioned the rear pads are about shot. rotors are fine. Would you recommend swaping out the rotors ar this point, or just put on a good set of pads? Also, what is the recommended pad, semi-metalic, or ceramic? I havn't used ceramics yet. Thanks for the input. I did notice some of the other threads, but just wasn't sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would just replace the pads myself. Those rotors are bullet proof and barring any noticeable issues. I just replace if a known problem exist. I put in Posi quiet ceramic pads after listening to some of the post from odyclub members and they work great. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I would evaluate condition of the rotors first.
First, do you have any body vibrations when you step on your brake pedal?
Does the rotor surface look ok. How about rust on non contact surfaces?
Whats the mileage on the car?

If rotors look and feel ok, leave them be. If you have high mileage and plan to keep the van for just as long, consider replacing the rotors now. If you are doing the work yourself, its about extra $80 in parts cost added to your job, but you know that your rear brakes will be ok for a long time.

I left the rears alone on my van, but the friend's van I worked on had a wicked vibration that I finally nailed down as "warped" rear rotors. Replacing them with AutoZone's Duralast rotors did the trick. I also like Centric premium 120 series rotors.
For pads, I got 106 Centric and while they work fine, they have a small groaning noise coming to a complete stop. I hear 105's don't do that, so I would go for those.
good luck
Max

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The van just turned 70K. The dealer said the rotors looked real good. i don't have any vibrations or pulsating. When the fronts go, they will get some new rotors. these are my 1st change on the oddy, I just havn't done much research on it yet.
thanks for the input

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
You mean the rear pads are "about shot" yet the front pads are still original? I would get a second opinion on the rears. The fronts work much harder and so always wear out long before the rears.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
- Learn how to wrench
- Or at least learn how to inspect the brake pad. It is a very easy thing to learn.
- If you want to DIY, there is a DIY in forum.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
rears have about 3mm left per dealer. Fronts are good.
In virtually 99.99% of cars out there, 2mm is the thickness when they replace the brake pad; 1mm is the absolute minimum before the brake pad backing plate eats into the rotor.

With 3mm, you have another 2000-3000 miles before you need to replace the brake pads.

My suggestion is to go with Autozone "Duralast" pads. I have them in my car.
Autozone has a L.T. warranty on the pads, so if and whenever the pads are worn, take the old pads in for an exchange for free, no questions asked.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...diy-2007-honda-odyssey-front-brake-rotor.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts