Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, my wife is doing well with bumps and bruises and a right ankle fracture.

She was hit head on by an 84 yr old man in a small pickup truck, he crossed the center line and went right in to her. Both were going the speed limit or under (40),... police said there were no skid marks but my wife remembers hitting the brakes. We don't know much about the other driver, just that he may not be doing well, his little '92 ford truck had no air bags.

Here's the '05 had 130K, was in excellent condition and just a couple months from being paid off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad that your wife is not seriously hurt, hope that the man driving the truck is doing ok. What will be your next ride to replace the Odyssey.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad that your wife is not seriously hurt, hope that the man driving the truck is doing ok. What will be your next ride to replace the Odyssey.
Thanks. We're thinking a '11 Odyssey ex-l w/ navi.

Nothing else on the list. The '11 would be our third.

We're all hoping the best for the man in the truck.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The '11 got high safety marks. Hard to argue against getting another one.

Pictures and stories like this remind us all why we drive Odysseys! Glad your wife is OK. Best for the other driver.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Thanks to God your wife didn't endure worse.

This stuff scares me greatly. I find myself more and more moving away from the fast lane on undivided high-speed surface streets just because of this...and one can still endure the horror of a head-on collision no matter how far over you move from the double yellow, because there just isn't time to get out of the way when somebody quickly crosses a couple of lanes. :frown:

Praying for the other guy, too.

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Glad to see that the Oddy did its job and protected your wife splendidly. Hope the old guy recovers too and then hands over his keys and his license.

Hoping for a speedy recovery of your wife and the old guy.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
No body damage past the firewall! The engineers did a terrific job of protecting the most important part of the van - the occupants. Glad your wife is doing well. Lucky the other guy didn't hit another '92 Ford truck. Hope he too is doing well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, this happened on a fairly busy two lane road w/ a speed limit of 40. I've driven by the area a couple times and have seen the markings that the police painted on the road after the accident. We're still waiting on our insurance company to tells us what they'll pay us for the '05 Ody and still no word on the other driver.

We visited the local Honda dealer yesterday and I drove an EX-L. Nice improvements to the navi system and seats. Honda has rearranged some buttons and controls to make better sense for the driver. Included some things that my '02 Saab 9-5 has, one touch passengers elec windows and one touch moonroof controls, both nice changes.

The sound of my wife walking around on one crutch, unlike Capt. Ahab is a welcome and comforting sound.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Glad to see your wife's all right. Best wishes to the other guy. I would push for them to total it. As much as I love mine and even considering the fact I can't easily replace it (2011 out of the question), I don't think I would want to repair and drive it after recovering from that kind of damage. There are just too many things that could go wrong mechanically, even if it was never in another accident.

Also, I'm in the market for a key fob. PM me if your interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fellow from our insurance company, Safeco called today after he viewed the van. (So far Safeco has been great to deal with).

No question that it is a total wreck. Motor mounts broken, motor all messed up, inside of the dash all crunched. She took quite a blow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Amazing to see the results of a 40mph crash.

I hope your wife recovers soon!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We did hear about the other driver today. He has several serious injuries, still in the hospital but his wife says he's doing better everyday. We're thankful for that.

My wife is doing well, each day a bit better. We're dealing with insurance companies and car dealers at the same time. Something I wouldn't wish on anybody but it does occupy our time.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Amazing to see the results of a 40mph crash.
It's actually the equivalent of an 80 MPH crash. (each car at 40 MPH)

Glad to hear that everyone's getting better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's actually the equivalent of an 80 MPH crash. (each car at 40 MPH)

Glad to hear that everyone's getting better.
Well yes but the energy is of the crash is transfered to the mass of both objects pretty much halving it. So if you look at a 40mph static front end crash shot it would look pretty much the same.

Hope both drivers are doing ok.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Well yes but the energy is of the crash is transfered to the mass of both objects pretty much halving it. So if you look at a 40mph static front end crash shot it would look pretty much the same.

Hope both drivers are doing ok.
Actually, force increases exponentially with speed, not linearly. So two cars colliding at 40 mph would hit with 10 times the force of one car hitting a stopped car at the same speed.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That makes sense. Thanks for the additional post.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad to see the Ody perform so well. So glad your wife is doing fine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Glad the van protected your wife!

On another note, my used '06 is missing something from the tool kit for the spare, do you possibly have access to yours? I bet you have moved on already, but worth a shot.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey sorry Dirkdaddy, the insurance company owns the '05 now. Don't know were they taken it.

Even though my wife can't drive yet (guess I'll have to) we're picking up our fresh new '11 EX-L navi in Alabaster Silver Metallic later today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts