Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased a used 2005 Ody Touring. Everything was working great until just recently. The driver side power sliding door stopped working. We had it in the shop to get some work don on the front bumper (touch ups). They washed it and put it outside for us to pick up. I live in Saskatchewan, so the weather is very cold up here up to. My wife picked up the van and used the power sliding door. It would open fine, but would not shut completely. She did it a few times with no luck shutting the door, so she drove it home that way. I tried, with no luck. I ended up turning off the power to the sliding doors (manual mode) to close it and it closed, but after that, the doors wouldn't work at all. I would push the button and it woudn't even make the noise like it was working at all. I had to turn to sliding doors to the off position and I have stopped using that door at together for now.

The new warning light I get is the "!" symbol on top of the door symbol.

Has anyone else seen this? If so is there a way to fix or trouble shoot this issue?

I took it back to the place that worked on the bumper of the van to see if they might of done something, but they had nothing to say. They did grease up the door for me. It still doesn't work. Could be the cold (being washed and put into the cold after,or something else?)

I did see the one post about the "Moisture on the door position switch freezes, causing the power sliding door(s) not to function properly." Could be the problem?

I want to hold off taking it into the dealership in hopes someone can help me.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
What you have is slightly corroded sensors/contacts. Open the door, locate contacts on both the door (front facing part) and van's frame, use WD-40 to spray and clean them. Make sure they are dry before closing the door.

Also, there is proximity sensor on the rear side of the door opening - on the frame itself. Make sure there is no dirt on it!

Happened to me as well, especially after car washes in cold weather. If you take van to car wash in below-freezing temps, make sure to wipe clean those contacts on both sides immediately after the wash.

P.S. I have not had my van for 3 years at this point, I might be wrong about location of the contacts/sensors panel, but it is somewhere on the door & frame, just look ! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just had a similar experience. My driver's side door refused to work. Trying to open the door via remote or the dashboard button would just get me the slow beep warning from the door. Even stanger still was that the lock on that door insisted on staying locked. Even when moving the plunger by hand, it would spring back down to the lock position. I finally forced the door open by switching to manual and holding the plunger up while forcing the door open by hand. Then it wouldn't close by power. I realized later that the fuel door wasn't closed. There is an interlock which disables the sliding door so it doesn't rip the fuel door if it's left open. By the sound of your story, it doesn't sound like just a case of the fuel door being open, but maybe there is a problem with the interlock...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Holy cow! A real legend returns!! Alexmish, great to hear from you.

I do believe however, that you're probably thinking of your 01 Ody. The 05 generation did not have those clusters of exposed contacts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem described by rpetrinc. Its a 2005 Ody Touring I got on Thursday. The sliding door worked only for me to get home and it refused to work automatically. I've had to be opening and closing it manually. Did anyone eventually find an answer to the problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same problem here, I got a 2005 honda odyssey touring and my the driver sliding door is not doing nothing no sound at all !!! The dealer wants 80 just to check it out!! I think this is going to be a expensive repair :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same issue with sliding doors,both driver and passenger side.The driver side is a more frequent issue.If I disconnect the battery and reconnect the door will operate.The door very quickly goes into the check door mode after a few uses or just goes into the mode without the use of the door.I cleaned contacts from fuse boxes,no improvement.With so many complaints one would think HONDA would create a recall.I hate to think my next van will be a Toyota or Town and Country.Any other thoughts would be appreciated.My dealer Delia in Glens Falls NY offered to change "The Switch" each side $300."My next visit they offered to do an analysis,$189.00.No thanks,I guess I will be pulling it open and slamming it closed.
Many thanks,
Denis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts