Honda Odyssey Forum banner

05 trany shudder / judder...the fix

13K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  nicomtl 
#1 ·
I thought I would make a new post on this since the big one is getting heavy with all the reflash hoo ha on the newer vehicles. Basicaly, I replaced the rear engine mount since it did not have the recomended 1/4" spaceing suggested in the TSB. The mount still "looked" good once I had it off but I replaced it with the $400 dollar unit any way. That did little to nothing in retarding the trany vibration. Next I did 3 full trany drainings and a trany filter replacement on the last trany refill useing Amsoil Universal trans fluid for all 3. Then it was time for vacation. NY to VA, SC to TN and back to NY over a period of 3 weeks in August heat. At first, the trany seemed to be shifting better with less shudder and as time went on I could definately say the trany shutter was becomeing less and less an issue. I cant say its completely gone since the parameters the shuttering was in has closed to such a small window of luging/engine speed, the slightest steping in of throttle or backing off puts a end to whats left of a very faint sign of judder. And that is now only on rare occassion. Its actualy completely out of mind now so it would be a surprise if I feel a hint of it. Before this Amsoil change, the dealer did a trany service 6K earlier. The trany would shutter so bad at times, it felt like the trany was dam near bounceing off the pavement! It was REAL bad. The 3 gallons of Amsoil cost me just over $100 bucks. But now, judder shutter is a non issue and the van still gets 19/23 mpg, unlike the mpg beating you will get from the reflash as reported here. Oh, the van had 117K on it when I did the Amsoil and now we have 127K.

See less See more
#3 ·
From what I see with the 05, the fresh ATF- Z1 that "was" in the trany worked like crap. This is the first time I ever bought Amsoil anything, and it was the ticket. It has eliminated our agravation over this whole issue of installing a new TC and doing the reflash thing. Its over. Now I will see if it holds out over the long run.
Many thanks to the guy that first posted this Amsoil thing. I know he also had a cooler installed and a in line filter. At this point I dont see a need to go that far since we dont use a trailer and temps are not bad here in the north country.

#4 ·
xtriggerman...has your tranny ever been worked on by Honda or anyone else or is it all original? Ever had the torque converter replaced or the pcm reflashed?

I really do wonder what the long term affect (if any) the Amsoil will have since Honda insists that nothing but the ATF Z1 be used.

#5 ·
I've been running AMSoil for almost a year...I had a big time problem with the judder...I can also confirm that AMSoil saved me thousands in not replacing the TC. Good old american fluid!!! My 2006 EXL runs smooth as silk.

#6 ·
OdyDa-Da said:
xtriggerman...has your tranny ever been worked on by Honda or anyone else or is it all original? Ever had the torque converter replaced or the pcm reflashed?

I really do wonder what the long term affect (if any) the Amsoil will have since Honda insists that nothing but the ATF Z1 be used.
We bought the Van w/ 109K on it but the local dealer sold it new and did all the serviceing on it. The work history showed nothing but interval serviceing on the trans. So I would have to say it was in its original 05 configuration.
HondaVWguy is not BS-n you guys. The stuff worked for me also.

#7 ·
From what I have read the Honda fluid is too thin and will cause the TC lock up, which causes the shaking - shudder whatever you want to call it. AMSoil is somewhat thicker and will not heat up to a point that will cause TC lockup.

No reason to BS...and I don't work for AMSoil. lol

#8 ·
Ok...I am just trying to keep up on this subject regarding the transmission topics. My wife and I just purchased a brand new 2010 Odyssey EX-L and I want to make sure I am as informed as possible. So far the van only has 500 miles and it drives really nice with no abnormal behavior and we are hoping it stays that way. However, we do plan on keeping the Odyssey for a long time and given some of the common transmission issues I am looking into a Honda Care warranty for the long haul. I think it's cheap insurance should something occur outside of the factory warranty.

Does Amsoil list compatibility anywhere for their fluid?

Thanks.

#9 · (Edited)
OdyDa-Da said:
Ok...I am just trying to keep up on this subject regarding the transmission topics. My wife and I just purchased a brand new 2010 Odyssey EX-L and I want to make sure I am as informed as possible. So far the van only has 500 miles and it drives really nice with no abnormal behavior and we are hoping it stays that way. However, we do plan on keeping the Odyssey for a long time and given some of the common transmission issues I am looking into a Honda Care warranty for the long haul. I think it's cheap insurance should something occur outside of the factory warranty.

Does Amsoil list compatibility anywhere for their fluid?

Thanks.
If you are that new...I wouldn't worry about it. Just change the fluid with Honda brand as not to void your warranty. 3years 36k miles. I know some here on this site change it every 10k miles. It's almost as easy as changing the oil.

Another option is to install a tranny cooler...that will help with heat that will cause TC lock up. Esp if you are hauling trailers, boats, etc with your van.

AMSoil does not state on the bottle it's compatibility but I will tell you it's working for me and many others. AMSoil that I use is a universal fluid meant for cars/vans.

#10 ·
I also would say stick to the Honda fluid until you have a problem. If the Amsoil fixes it....fine go on with life. But I wouldn't run it just for giggles at least during the warranty period. We're coming up on 80k miles and haven't had any issues. We do the drain/fill at 30k intervals.

#14 ·
Since Honda doesn't publish what the specs for ATF Z1 is no one can say that they are Honda compatible. If they do say they are compatible, what would they be compatible with?

I stopped using Z1 four years/80,000 miles ago and haven't regretted it. I use RLI BioSyn ATF, which I change out every 30K? Why that often? The Honda automatic transmissions are really hard on ATF.

Wishing you the best with your Honda. (I've had one small repair in 120,000 miles.)

Dan

#15 ·
#16 ·
I experienced similar symptom as described by the OP. Mine is a '03 Ody which developed the shudder issue around 100K. This happened even after 3X drain and refill with Z1. I decided to do 2X drain and refill with RP Max ATF (AAP got it on sale) and the problem has been gone for the last 5K and counting. The shifting is not as smooth in lower gears but can't complain about the problem being gone and the gas mileage seems to improve a hair (might be my imagination but I have a Scan Gauge to prove it).

I haven't tried Amsoil or any other types of ATF but I would never go back to the original Z1 now.

#17 ·
I too can +1 on the Amsoil change. I bought the fluid separately from Napa and brought it to the dealer (I have connections at the dealer so I get pretty good pricing). They did 3 drain and fills with the Amsoil and so far the judder is greatly reduced.

I can still detect the places where the judder was commonplace (about 40-43mph and about 51mph) but it's more like a very very slight presence and nothing like it was. I think it's really more my knowing what to look for than a real judder now - as someone not familiar with these Odyssey's would probably not notice). In the end, I'm quite pleased with the change and no regrets thus far.

As an aside, I also changed the spark plugs (I'm at 121k miles - 2005 Ody Touring) and it too made a great difference. This was the van's first spark plug change and it seems to drive with improved power and responsiveness.

Thanks again to those who have posted their experience - it's been of great help to me!

- zesty

#18 ·
amati5 said:
Replacing rear motor mount fixed the problem completely for me. Still on Honda fluid with no problem and shifts like brand new.
Well, I take it back. The weather turned a little cold last week and I felt the symtom slightly coming back, shifting back and forth. I don't drive the car everyday but my wife said she felt it too. May Amsoil is my next move.

#19 ·
This may not be related (AHEM!) and may not validate the AMSOIL solution, but Honda came out with a new AT fluid in September: Honda ATF DW-1.

From the Service Letter announcing its availability:

DW-1 is capable of maintaining a lower viscosity at lower temperatures resulting in less energy required to move the vehicle during the warm-up period.
Again, from Service Letter, it can replace ATF-Z1 and it can be mixed with it. All 2011 Hondas with automatics come with the new fluid.

Nicolas

#21 ·
Good info here - a couple of questions...

1. For the OP (or someone else who had the issue), can you describe exactly what the issue was? I've read lots of different descriptions of this "judder" and I'm not sure if it's the same thing I'm experiencing or not. I tend to feel it when cruising along at a constant speed, very light throttle - there's a sort of hesitation, almost like the tranny's trying to change gears, then it picks back up. I don't have a constant vibration (at least not since I replaced all the engine mounts :) )

2. Has anyone tried this new Honda fluid in an 05/06 transmission with good results? I was going to do the Amsoil fill, but maybe now I'll try the new Honda stuff. Is it fully synthetic?

Thanks!

#23 ·
c_b said:
Good info here - a couple of questions...

1. For the OP (or someone else who had the issue), can you describe exactly what the issue was? I've read lots of different descriptions of this "judder" and I'm not sure if it's the same thing I'm experiencing or not. I tend to feel it when cruising along at a constant speed, very light throttle - there's a sort of hesitation, almost like the tranny's trying to change gears, then it picks back up. I don't have a constant vibration (at least not since I replaced all the engine mounts :) )
On my car the little that I felt was chugging at constant speed, as if the transmission had upshifted too much and the RPM was too low. This seems to be less present with the new Honda fluid, even if only 3+ quarts of it were put in.
c_b said:
2. Has anyone tried this new Honda fluid in an 05/06 transmission with good results? I was going to do the Amsoil fill, but maybe now I'll try the new Honda stuff. Is it fully synthetic?

Thanks!
The packaging says Synthetic, so I guess so.

Nicolas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.