Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did try to search and did not find my specific problem.

My right side power sliding door occassionally makes a loud 'pop' sound when opening. It always opens/closes; never stuck or halfway. But about half the time (the occurrence has been increasing), there is a slight mili-second delay and a 'pop' noise as it is opening. No issues on closing (at least, I don't hear any problems).

Upon visual inspection of the latch (loop) that is on the door frame, it appears there may be some rubbing and one side is not completely flush against the frame (body). I'm sure some contact and friction is normal, but I don't know how to further troubleshoot or fix.

I am original owner, never in accident. Does not seem to be a cable or motor problem (like I've read on other threads).

Any ideas/suggestions? Thx.

·
Registered
47 Posts
06Ody_Joe said:
I did try to search and did not find my specific problem.

My right side power sliding door occassionally makes a loud 'pop' sound when opening. It always opens/closes; never stuck or halfway. But about half the time (the occurrence has been increasing), there is a slight mili-second delay and a 'pop' noise as it is opening. No issues on closing (at least, I don't hear any problems).

Upon visual inspection of the latch (loop) that is on the door frame, it appears there may be some rubbing and one side is not completely flush against the frame (body). I'm sure some contact and friction is normal, but I don't know how to further troubleshoot or fix.

I am original owner, never in accident. Does not seem to be a cable or motor problem (like I've read on other threads).

Any ideas/suggestions? Thx.
have you resolved your issue? i'd be curious because i also have an 06 with the same exact problem (driver side door though). lately it's getting worse, sometimes it makes the popping sound and it opens, but other times it just gets stuck and i have to try it 2-3 times to get the door to open.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2006 EX-L is also having the exact problem. Now it also seems to be spreading to the passenger side. However, the "Pop" noise is not as frequent. The symptom on the passenger side seems to follow the path of the driver's side.

I have brought the issue to my local Honda dealer attention two times. The 2nd time was this weekend. The service advisor was able to witness the problem. However, by the time the technician got to servicing the vehicle, he was not able to reproduce the problem. We hear this "Pop" daily on the driver's side. At times, it has prevent the door from opening. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
jimmy-rigged solution

The door still makes the popping sound, in fact it has gotten a lot worse - sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to finally get the door open...

HOWEVER, through some trial and error, I found that when opening the door by the handle, either the inside or the outside handle, if I pull and HOLD the handle until the door starts to travel, the problem is GONE. So the act of holding the handle in the open position seems to do the trick.

This solution doesn't work when I use the remote or the button on the dash.

Hope it helps some folks with the same problem.

This is the only dark spot in my otherwise-happy experience with Honda.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine was doing something similar to this, but not quite a "popping" noise. What I did was thoroughly clean the tracks (top & bottom) that the rollers travel on and in. If you look, they are prob very dirty, as there is really nothing to keep the junk and dirt from getting to the track easily.

After I sprayed and wiped everything off with WD-40, I cleaned UNDER the bottom track. This where I found all sort of filth, including very small pieces of gravel. And make sure that the tracks are screwed down solid.

After all the cleaning I coated everything liberally with white lithium grease and ran the doors several times and recoated.

Once completed, the doors are quiet, smooth, like brand new.

Note: I did the same type of clean and grease to the moon roof assembly, makes a difference in the speed and sound of closing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check Rubber Gasket

Right sliding door is used majority of time for my little passengers. Left side door not an issue. Noticed that the right-side door rubber gasket on the "lip" of interior edge (and above rail track) is pressed down by foot track of passengers over time. Applying any pressure to door handle overcame resistance in my case. Door handle was not the issue, it was the resistance of rubber gasket. I gently straightened the rubber gasket to eliminate the problem. I agree with previous post to clean and apply white grease, but will do so when weather warms in my climate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you checked the plastic bushings on the rollers inside the track? One of mine just broke, and the door has to be closed manually, until I can fix it. If the bushing is cracked, it will get stuck, and if it has a flat spot, it will make that popping noise as it rolls over the crack/flat spot. It also cause the door to not line up properly, because the roller bar doesn't stay level in the track.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Try lubing the rubber gaskets with some silicon lub designed for rubber. The gen 2 had the problem with the seal sticking making the door hard to open. There were several discussions a few years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure out the cause of your problem?

I have a 2008 EX-L, bought in November of 2008, with about 60k miles on it (its our only car, and gets a lot of use).

When it was still under warrantee, we started getting a "pop" noise on the passenger side door. Every time we brought it to the dealer's attention, they would grease it and send us on our way. Back then it was more of a light "pop", so I wasn't too concerned.

Lately, however, its been getting worse and worse. My wife brought it in Wednesday for an oil change, and NOW they say "Oh, well, we can fix it for $300". I am usually skeptical when a mechanic all of a sudden decides they know what the problem is after we have repeatedly brought it to their attention. It makes me wonder if they were putting us off before, and honestly, this isn't the first time I have butted heads with this dealer.

To describe the symtoms a little better, when operating the door, either by using the handle or buttons, the door cocks out slightly, pauses for a split second, makes a sound like something is turning inside (I am guessing some sort of safety lock/latch), and then makes a loud popping sound before jerking slightly and continuing to slide back. Its as if whatever should be releasing the latch before the motor pulls the door back isn't releasing it quick enough, and the motor is putting tension on trying to pull back the door, so when the latch releases it snaps open abruptly.

I found this post on another forum suggesting replacement of an actuator, but it doesn't mention which. I am not a "car guy" per say, meaning I dont speak official car-lingo, but I am very mechanically-inclined, and did tones of work on my 2003 Jetta and a 2000 Dodge Durango using the respective Bentley Service Manuals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anyone ever get resolution on this issue? I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey with the power sliding doors. My driver's side door makes this same "popping" sound prior to opening. Not always, but sometimes. After researching it, I believe it is the actuator, but I hate to spend the $30 on it if it isn't the correct part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts