Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just blew my engine in my '06 odyssey with less that 77k miles! Honda did nothing for me. Wouldn't even chip in 20% for a replacement. I'm the second owner of this van, and did buy it at a dealership, but they said I'm over the 5 year/ 60k mile warranty, so no assistance was offered. I would not have expected this from Honda. What happened to the old Honda quality, and standing behind their loyal customers. I'm 34 years old, and this is the second Honda I've owned. I loved my civic, had it for 9 years with never an issue. Had this Odyssey for 18mos, and have to replace the motor! Crazy. I would expect that Honda would help me out a little, as this isn't normal for a vehicle with so little miles. Hondas used to be known for being able to go beyond 300k miles, guess the quality has gone to the birds, as well as their customer service. I've heard the same about toyota, so I guess my next car will be a Hyundai or Kia, something with a 100k mile guarantee. :nothappy:

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
That is pretty ****ty. No more Honda's for me either.....

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
@dvpatel...I started that thread yesterday about the new owner with blown engine. I am slightly confused to your reference there...I did just have a beer though:DD

@sabbott...I am sorry to hear of your blown motor. Did you try calling a district or regional honda service manager for "goodwill consideration"? I wish you lived closer as I would gladly put a motor in your van far cheaper than Honda could.

I am curious though...is it an ex-l or touring van (J35A7 engine)? How did it begin failing and ultimately fail? Did they provide you with an explanation as to what happened to the engine?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just blew my engine in my '06 odyssey with less that 77k miles! ... :nothappy:
Details. Was it Honda... or you? The only reasons an engine would fall apart in such a brief service life would be lack of maintenance, abuse, or sabotage. And it would give plenty of warning something was happening (noise, smoke, gauges, CELs, whatever) before it lunched itself. I'm not buying a Honda liability here... :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
@dvpatel...I started that thread yesterday about the new owner with blown engine. I am slightly confused to your reference there...I did just have a beer though:DD
Oops. My bad. The OP of this thread had posted the exact message in a yet another engine died thread: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/103582-head-gasket-blown-new-engine.html and bumped it a mere minutes before they opened this thread. :)

I would think your (91h22a) experience wouldn't count as you bought the Ody with the bad engine. There is no telling what the prior owner did to cause the damage though Honda engines should NOT fall apart this quick in either this OP's your's or the other OP from a year ago's case. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is really a blown engine as in engine blok is toast? Or do you need a cylinder head rebuild due to warped head? wacked valves? etc. Are these motors non-interference motors? If you just need need a cyl head job....that shouldn't be anywhere near $6500!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just blew my engine in my '06 odyssey with less that 77k miles! Honda did nothing for me. Wouldn't even chip in 20% for a replacement. I'm the second owner of this van, and did buy it at a dealership, but they said I'm over the 5 year/ 60k mile warranty, so no assistance was offered. I would not have expected this from Honda. What happened to the old Honda quality, and standing behind their loyal customers. I'm 34 years old, and this is the second Honda I've owned. I loved my civic, had it for 9 years with never an issue. Had this Odyssey for 18mos, and have to replace the motor! Crazy. I would expect that Honda would help me out a little, as this isn't normal for a vehicle with so little miles. Hondas used to be known for being able to go beyond 300k miles, guess the quality has gone to the birds, as well as their customer service. I've heard the same about toyota, so I guess my next car will be a Hyundai or Kia, something with a 100k mile guarantee. :nothappy:
I can appreciate your frustration. If you have service records documenting that all of the oil changes were completed per the service schedule than I would do as someone mentioned above and ask that the service manager at the Honda dealership you're dealing with contact the regional representative with Honda to speak with him and present your case for possible goodwill. If you don't have the records, than lack of maintenance would be the main reason for this type of failure. Also, Kia as well as Honda or any other manufacturer would not cover a blown engine if it failed under the factory warranty due to a lack of maintenance. They have plenty of posts on blown engines if you want to read up on them.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Details. Was it Honda... or you? The only reasons an engine would fall apart in such a brief service life would be lack of maintenance, abuse, or sabotage. And it would give plenty of warning something was happening (noise, smoke, gauges, CELs, whatever) before it lunched itself. I'm not buying a Honda liability here... :tongue:
+1. Engine just melted, smoked or starting acting up? What blew? How did the oil look/smell last time it was checked?

As per Honda pitching in a % of money when out of warranty, it has to be a very valid reason (i.e. Honda dealer installed an OEM defective part during an earlier service and THAT caused the engine to blow). Not a Honda fanboy here, I know they have their customer service and quality issues, but not sure how a Hyundai or KIA would be very any different once out of warranty (or even within warranty if it is found that the engine has been neglected for example) :dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts