Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We just picked up a beautiful 06 Touring, black on black...well after a week of rain I decided to get it washed for my wife and after I got it back home and armor'alling the tires I decided to clean the windows so I sprayed the inside of the windows with regular rubbing alcohol and OMG I have white stains where the alcohol dripped..please help

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have never seen straight alcohol stain interiors before where water won't wipe it off. I would get a fresh towel and some clean water and wipe everywhere its marked up. you might have to bring it to an upholstery shop and have them look at it and give you solutions for the repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response....it seems I permanently stained the affected areas, including a large area on the dash. Certain plastics react to Isopropyl Alcohol, and the result is a white haze which is actually the bare plastic as the surface color was removed. I'm going to buy a dash cover for it for now until I can figure out how to fix it...It's very troublesome to me to see the damage as this thing was a creampuff.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Ouch. There are older threads of people asking their dealer for the information of getting their interior panels repainted. IIRC there were a couple of happy folks. Dealers do have third-party companies they contact when they want to rid a van of scratches and what not. I am sure your local dealer has a contact you can work with to get your dash (and panels) repainted to get back to the creampuff quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dvpatel.....thanks for the advice, I went to my local pro paint shop and picked up a couple of cans of SEM interior paint, but I think we better have a pro at doing this type of work take care of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
dvpatel.....thanks for the advice, I went to my local pro paint shop and picked up a couple of cans of SEM interior paint, but I think we better have a pro at doing this type of work take care of it.
I have used the SEM vinyl dyes before and they are great. If you decide to do it yourself, I have a bit of advice. 1) Try it on a junk panel so you can practice. 2) Take your time... 3) Prepping is the most important part of the process. 4) Don't spray too much at one time, it will run and look like crap. go for a second coat if you need more coverage. 5) Check the color of the dye before you spray the whole thing, make sure it matches. Not all colors match the lid.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do... And welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So it's surprising that isopropyl alcohol damaged the dash (IPA is one of the things you can use to get marks off of plastic from pens, etc. without damaging the plastic as you would with a stronger solvent like acetone) - have you tried taking a paper towel, mostening it with isopropyl alcohol and rubbing off the stains? There's a chance that what you did is dissolve some sort of plastic dressing/coating which the previous owner put on there, and you are seeing that. (I'd definitely try that before removing your dash and having it painted...)

If it did indeed damage the plastic, it probably either made the surface craze or chalk a bit (the pigment is through the entire plastic - you can't remove a color layer - however, with some solvents you can get the polymer to expand a bit (actually forming tiny cracks) so that it appears white.

If it is damaged, you can try using a decent dressing material (303 aerospace protectant is nice as it isn't high gloss, but something like armor all would work, too) and see if that clears it up. There are other things to try, too, but they carry a pretty sizeable risk of damaging the plastic more severely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts