Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I crashed my 06 into a car stopped that short in front of me. 96k miles trying to decide to fix or total if the adjuster gives option.

Along with both fenders, bumper, hood, radiator, etc...does severe crash like this damge motor or trans in unseen ways ?

It is not steerable so steering is shot along with aligment etc. Motor probably shifted back too.

Has anyone successfully repaired such a basket case ? and have it not vibrate or pull/drift ?

thanks, OS

·
Registered
404 Posts
Even if they could bring it back to like-new condition... which they probably could if they throw enough money at it, but still... I've never understood why people don't use such an opportunity to advance to an undamaged, more-advanced, newer, less-trouble-prone model, instead of opting to repair a six- or seven-year-old vehicle.

Use this as a stepping stone to a better ride...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boogety the issue is money ie lack thereof. Plus, i just put new tires on it, a starter, brakes and replaced a stone-cracked windshield.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Anything can be fixed, but it's a matter of cost. Have you had a professional body shop (estimator) look at the vehicle yet?

If the damage is limited to the area forward of the firewall, it may be cost-effective to fix it. And to answer your question, yes, items on the engine can be damaged, such as the air conditioning compressor, and possibly engine/transmssion mounting points - these need to be inspected carefully for any signs of cracking.

Are you going through your auto insurance on this, or trying to do this on your own?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello jp,
The ins adjuster is inspecting it tomorrow. If damage is 75% of book, by state law here they total it. I can choose to accept the payment or buy it back for 'total' price less salvage value.
Everything in front of the motor in center is destroyed. Motor/trans mounts probably shot too. engine runs but sounds wierd.
Can't open the hood to see anything.
Not sure where the ac comprsssor is.
If it is totalled and I choose to repair it, my main concern is lost highway smoothness, tracking, tire wear etc..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Probably totaled. Start doing your homework on values of similar models and pricing. Also if you have service records that show its in 100% it can raise the value, evan as simple as tires that are next to new can net an extra $1000 for value. Any acc added to the van are additional to the value, usually at 75% value

Al

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear about that. Did the airbags deploy? I know someone who had a kid pull out in front of her and put 16K in damage to the front end of her 2005 Ody. This was back in the spring of 2009, so the car was newer, but the insurance company fixed it. I was talking to her husband about it and he said he was explained how they can replace the car in three sections. I don't know if this is true, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. Neither of them had any complaints of how the car ran afterward. I was in an accident where I sideswiped the median and the wheels were knocked out of alignment. It seems to be as good as new, but then again I get paranoid sometimes and think its not. I think for me at least, the smoothness is more of a mental thing than an actual defect. I know my damage was much less severe than yours, but if your in Southern NJ and want to take it for a test drive your welcome to. ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Boogety the issue is money ie lack thereof. Plus, i just put new tires on it, a starter, brakes and replaced a stone-cracked windshield.
Then take the settlement money and put it on a new/er vehicle. You'll probably spend as much as you would have fixing up your older beat-up vehicle, but get better peace of mind. Your insurer will take into account the improvements you have made in the very immediate past (tires, brakes, windshield) and figure that in your favor... I mean, if money is an issue, why oh why would you want to throw good money after bad, fixing up a damaged vehicle, instead of stepping up at this time?

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Our 2008 Ody Touring was involved in a front end collision in December 2011. My wife rear ended a Ford Explorer with a tow hitch. My wife and two kids were OK. The airbags did not deploy, as the impact was above the bumper. It took out the entire front end (grill, lights, radiator, power steering reservoir, fuse box, hood, front side panels, etc.) After the collision shop put things back together with used/recycled genuine parts, they filled up the cooling system and found a leak. Turns out the coolant leak was due to a cracked block in the lower timing belt area. This required the installation of a used engine from a 2008 Ody EX-L with 55,000 miles at the Honda dealer. I am not sure if they reused my original engine mounts or not (or if the used engine already came with the mounts), but I now have an excessive steering wheel/chassis vibration at 70 mph/~2100rpms which is coming from the engine or torque converter. We also have a noise at first startup that I have not been able to capture on video yet to show the dealer. Still troubleshooting that one.

So, given all of this, I would do an extremely thorough visual inspection and also pressure test the cooling system for leaks. You may have a cracked block as I, and another member did, after our front end collisions....not good :nothappy:

My 2008 FrankenOdy will never be the same as before. I wonder if I got the used engine from another member?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EE my repair estimate came in at 6500. I am going to have a shop cut off the hood and view on a lift so they can assess if the amount is too low. I'll relay the info on cracked block, thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
EE my repair estimate came in at 6500. I am going to have a shop cut off the hood and view on a lift so they can assess if the amount is too low. I'll relay the info on cracked block, thanks.
WOW for what you describe as damaged it seems extremly low, was this estimate from a Honda shop? are Honda parts being used?. In Canada not many know you have the right to have factory parts replaced by factory parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
akesj1, yes the parts are Honda but not a dealer doing the work. It was not as bad as I thought, the mounts are ok the motor did not get impacted. May be ready Wednesday.

Not liking what I read about our torque convertors now. My fuel economy has gone down and trans started to feel odd at times recently. Can't describe exactly what is different sometimes but I felt slip or shudder more than once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts