Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently had an aftermarket iPod accessory installed into my 07 EX (the Dice Silverline Pro). The unit is made specifically to plug into the back of the Odyssey factory radio and takes the place of the XM "channel"

Anyway, within a day of installing it, I noticed that, on starting the van, there was excessive cranking before the engine would actually ignite. I wrote it off as a fluke at the time. Two days after sitting in the garage unused, however, I found the battery almost completely dead.

Obviously, the Dice unit is the prime suspect. The store technician that installed it pointed out that, since it plugs directly into the factory radio, a wiring error is not even possible. He went on to say that he's never seen these Dice units be the source of a parasitic battery drain in the dozens of units he's installed.

To be fair, I had him unplug the unit from the radio and drove the van as normal for 5 days. Unsurprisingly, no battery issues.

Still , i had a local auto store perform a free battery test and the guy said the battery looked bad based on the fact that it only generates 460 CCA at a full charge. I have no idea what this means. If this indicates that the battery is ready to die, and the installation of the Dice unit simply hastened its demise, I'll keep the unit and get a new battery. Otherwise, I'll have the unit removed and move on with my life.:D

What's the consensus?

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can measure the current draw of your dice unit with the right kind of tool. Radio shack likely sells it along with the auto parts store.

If your battery is only producing 460 now when it gets cold its going to be in the 200s 300s and may not be enough to start the van.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, gregersonke. I've searched high and low for the required CCA for an 07 Odyssey but can't find them. The owner's manual only states the requirements in terms of amps. Do you know where I can find CCA numbers?

·
Registered
119 Posts
From Honda Parts

2007 EX-L:

Honda Part 31500-SD4-100M
Genuine Honda BATTERY ASSY. (24F/550AMP)

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Replace the battery with a higher CCA rating than the origonal battery. Honda supplies a marginal battery to supply all the electronics in the Ody.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Science tells you that when you are moving, you really want the alternator to supply all the current to all the loads and plus little bit to recharge the battery. If alternator does not have enough, you will eventually drain the battery. Battery is nothing but the storage tank. When you are cranking the starter, your battery needs to be sized enough so that it will spin the engine easily. Once started, battery should not supplying the electricity to the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sontakke,

I just went to AutoZone to have both my battery and alternator tested. The battery tested fine, however the alternator did not. The tech stated that it's only generating 12 volts (or was it amps?) under load. Hopefully, that means something to you.

This might explain the power issues I was seeing after the addition of the iPod accessory. I assume that the additional power draw is preventing the alternator from fully charging the battery.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes indeed, your alternator needs to be replaced. It should be generating at least 13.7V at about 2000 RPM.

Did your red battery light ever come on while the engine is running?

- Vikas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just had my alternator tested at a different place (O'Reilly's Auto Parts) and this time the alternator tested fine (generated in excess of 14 volts). lol

So now I have AutoZone and O'Reilly giving me two completely different test results. I don't want to have the aftermarket device removed if it's really not at fault. How can I conclusively find out if the Dice is a parasitic drain?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My battery died at 37 months and 34K miles.

Put in a new battery from Autozone, all is fine.
(Tell them the competitor sells it for $75 and they will price-matched!).

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
MitchieA said:
I just had my alternator tested at a different place (O'Reilly's Auto Parts) and this time the alternator tested fine (generated in excess of 14 volts). lol

So now I have AutoZone and O'Reilly giving me two completely different test results. I don't want to have the aftermarket device removed if it's really not at fault. How can I conclusively find out if the Dice is a parasitic drain?
If you are running the original battery in the 2007, it most likely is your battery. There are two very long threads on Honda battery problems. Perhaps you can read up. The fact that your's lasted so long is good. Get yourself a good battery (the highest CCA you can get) and be done with it once and for all.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Re: From Honda Parts

pvp said:
2007 EX-L:

Honda Part 31500-SD4-100M
Genuine Honda BATTERY ASSY. (24F/550AMP)
Honda betteries are not that great and are too expensive. I wouldn't buy a Honda battery after reading the big battery threads. I and my friend both have 2007 Oddys. He drives a lot more than I. His battery and my battery both died around the same time which was less than 2 years. We both got free replacements as we were within the 3 years warranty but I am not holing my breath for the replacement to last that long. Once it goes, I am getting the hight CCA battery from wally mart or a duralast based on the pricing of either.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Of all the electrical things that can go wrong, battery is the cheapest item. Cleaning all the connections is assumed before doing anything else.

It is NOT cost effective to spend lots of diagnostic dollars before putting a new battery. If the new battery gives you trouble, then you start worrying.

It does not matter if the battery is 3 years old or 1 year old.

Obviously, this does not apply to you if you have the tools and inclination to do your own diagnostics. But then you will NOT be asking these questions on this forum but rather answering them :)

- Vikas

·
Registered
95 Posts
Which battery thread?

Originally posted by dvpatel There are two very long threads on Honda battery problems. Perhaps you can read up. The fact that your's lasted so long is good. Get yourself a good battery (the highest CCA you can get) and be done with it once and for all. [/B]
I do NOT intend to be snarky here. If I search on Battery I get over 2000 hits. Can you help me ID the two you have in mind?

I always read up before posting.

Thanks... Bob

·
Registered
539 Posts
Also, consider installing an on-board battery charger/maintainer and keep it plugged in overnight, or at least on the weekends. You can get these at most auto parts stores for $30-50. Or you can just use a conventional battery charger as well (slightly less convenient).

These vans are electrical pigs and during short-trip driving esp. during winter months, the battery will NOT get fully recharged.

Topping off the battery charge overnight even just once a week will extend your battery life by years.

A bigger battery will help somewhat, but the root-cause issue is that there is more energy being taken out of the battery than is being put back in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts