Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed yesterday that the cowl cover, the black plastic piece that is at the bottom/front of the windshield and has holes for the wiper arms, is lifting in two places where it meets the windshield.

The cowl cover seems warped in those two spots and that leaves two 1/8 inch high and 2 inches wide gaps. It looks like it is letting water in to the area where the wiper motor is located. (I will take and post pictures later)

Does anybody else have this? I know there was a TSB for the cowl cover, but my car is not in the relevant VIN range and I am not even sure that was the problem...

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture where the tow gaps I noticed are visible. Another smaller gap, that I had not noticed before, is out of focus but still visible at the top of the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Same issue

I have the exact same issue - looks just like what I have on my 2007 exl. I had taken the van to the dealer on two separate occassions and aske them to check out for the wind noise issue, but both times the dealer said "could not duplicate". Now I'm out of the (3yr) warranty and such things will not be covered.

I wasn't aware of a TSB for this.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Same issue

pvp said:
I have the exact same issue - looks just like what I have on my 2007 exl. I had taken the van to the dealer on two separate occassions and aske them to check out for the wind noise issue, but both times the dealer said "could not duplicate". Now I'm out of the (3yr) warranty and such things will not be covered.

OK, I just noticed something odd: There are two TSBs, one TSB for the side trim on all 05-10 Odysseys (TSB 09-051) and one TSB for the side trim and cowl cover of *some* 05-06 Odysseys (TSB 04-078).

I knew that, and so far so good, even thought they overlap.

The odd thing is that the side trim-only TSB, 09-051, references the Odyssey cowl cover part (P/N 91570-SHJ-A01) as a "failed part". However, it is not mentioned elsewhere in that TSB.

Confused... :confused:

BTW, is your VIN in the second TSB, the one for the cowl? I doubt it, as it seems to only be 06s, but still...

Nicolas

·
Registered
755 Posts
Re: Same issue

pvp said:

Since you have taken your car to the dealership twice due to the same reaosn, they should have those records on their system, which they should be honored to take care of your problem even though it's out of warrenty. Well at least that's what my dealership does if the mileage is not too much off from the last record they have on a certain problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the same situation on my 06, and that gap between the cowl and the windshield was the cause of the whistling sound I was hearing abound 30-45MPH.

My ody was out of warranty when I bought it, and I didn't feel like forking over the dough to replace the cowl even though there is a TSB on it. I just ended up filling the gap with some silicone caulk....problem (and whistling) solved.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: Re: Same issue

nicomtl said:
BTW, is your VIN in the second TSB, the one for the cowl? I doubt it, as it seems to only be 06s, but still...
Nah, double-checked my VIN against the TSB, but mine is "...7Bxxxxxx" ("7" for 2007, I suppose); whereas the TSB is all "...6Bxxxxxx".

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Mine's lifting a tiny bit under the driver's windshield wiper only. I took some instant adhesive glue and glued it down to the windshield and used a single edged razor blade to scrape off the excess dry glue. Works great and looks like new. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems later on.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll take advantage of the last few days of nice weather to take the cowl off and check if I can see what is causing it AND what part number it is. The part number changed in the part that was replaced as part of the side trim/cowl TSB.

Nicolas

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Curious to see what the end result of this is - we had our cowl replaced under warranty when it buckled/lifted, that worked for a little while, then it did the same thing... I was wondering if the clip locations were in the wrong place or something and that stressed the cowl, resulting in it warping...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I was at the Honda dealer this afternoon getting the oil changed in our Civic. I checked out 5 new 2010 Ody's outside and the one in the showroom. All but one had cowl covers that were slightly warped or lifting in 2 places. I thought that the TSB's would have fixed the newer models by now but it looks like it's still a problem. One of the sales guys asked me what I was checking out and I told him about the problem and he said that it's the first time he has heard of it. Seems to me that there is a problem with the fit of the part. Hopefully mine doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
jackrabbit000 said:
I was at the Honda dealer this afternoon getting the oil changed in our Civic. I checked out 5 new 2010 Ody's outside and the one in the showroom. All but one had cowl covers that were slightly warped or lifting in 2 places. I thought that the TSB's would have fixed the newer models by now but it looks like it's still a problem. One of the sales guys asked me what I was checking out and I told him about the problem and he said that it's the first time he has heard of it. Seems to me that there is a problem with the fit of the part. Hopefully mine doesn't get worse.
Interesting. This raises the question: is this more than a cosmetic problem? If new ones have it, it may not be.

Really want to open it up now...

Nicolas

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
jackrabbit000 said:
One of the sales guys asked me what I was checking out and I told him about the problem and he said that it's the first time he has heard of it.
Seems like they're trained to say that. Everything they hear, they hear it for the first time so it seems.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
mattd said:
Was thinking of doing the adhesive/glue thing on mine too...
If you don't yet have a big gap, I'd hold off. If you stick it, if you were to have a rock hit the windshield (Odys are rock magnets so it seems), they would need to replace the cowl along with the windshield as I am pretty sure it would crack when they try to remove it...

Just a thought... :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
It looks like more of a ripple, but I have that windshield whistle thing going on too. And I had the piece of trim replaced that runs from the top of the windshield to the bottom on the driver side, and the whistle remained, so I am thinking it is coming from the cowl. But I have been living with it...

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
The right fix would be to replace the deformed cowl. But that would be a $150+ affair. :(

Also, body parts are not covered under HondaCare so now that I am beyond my 3 years (no where near 36K yet), if this happens to me, I'd have to fork over the money to replace the darn cowl which will warp again.

Sigh... Ah the joys of owning a Honda.

I do remember some one saying they put on Duct tape and that fixed the whisteling noise. Perhaps a black duct tape is better as at least you can remove it if you need your windshield replaced?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will have to take mine out and look at it closely at some point; just a busy month and weather is turning wet for the most part. Failing anything else, I think some clear silicone will seal it up and hold it, yet still remain flexible enough.

I do also want to look at the foam strip that runs along the edge (windshield side) and see if that needs replacing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Had the same problem with the warped cowl, used a piece of the black adhesive (rope) that is used to hold the windshield on, slipped it between cowl and the glass and it fixed the problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts