Honda Odyssey Forum banner

07 EX-L power sliding door problem - and solution

16K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jbuddy 
#1 ·
I'm posting this in case another Ody owner encounters the same problem and is in need of a solution...

Problem
This starts as an intermittent problem. When doors are unlocked and an attempt is made to open the door (via remote, dash, or handle), the power sliding door will make a sound like the motor is trying to open the door, but the door will not open, and the alarm will sound. After repeated attempts, the door will work a few times before the problem occurs again. Sometimes the 'motor sound' will occur, and the door will violently jerk open or closed.

The problem also occasionally occurs when the door is in the open position (and won't close).

Solution
The cause of the problem was the "Crank Assembly Release Motor" inside the door.

After I showed the Honda technician the problem, he removed the door panel to observe what was happening, and discovered that the Crank Assembly Release Motor was freewheeling, and that the violent motion was from when the motor would finally catch. The solution was to replace the motor (an $85 part).

Hopefully this will help anyone searching for a solution to this same problem...

See less See more
#3 ·
Take a look at my video. Is this what was happening to you?

2006 Odyssey has gone through a slew of weird behavior, all kinds of noises, seen by a dealer who thought it was a problem with a little rubber bumper. It never got any better. Door ultimately became DEAD, no action at all. Couldn't open close manually or with power. Found a thread on another board advising fuse pull to reset some codes, and door became operational, but with repetitive loud clicking on trying to open it. With a little nudge of help, it opens. Same pounding/clicking when trying to close it. I have attached a youtube video to see if anyone finds this familiar. Any help appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDovspDoLAE

#4 ·
Thanks for posting this Jethro70. My 06 has been doing for this for awhile now and the wife is not happy about. Same thing - dealer couldn't replicate initially but now over a year later the door jammed completely which was a different problem (rear roller). This time tech noticed the popping once and recommended the crank motor replacement if it got worse. Well, I'm now thinking about having it done to make peace in the house. Just wondering if anyone has tried to replace it themselves. Doesn't look too hard in the service manual but sometimes you never know what could bite you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.