Honda Odyssey Forum banner

07 EX-L, Power sliding door won't open

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  LAJOHN 
#1 ·
Problem: My passenger side slider will close perfectly, but it won't open with the dash or key fob buttons. It will open fine, when you use the inside or outside door handle.

Yes, I've search and read endless threads on this issue.

I've tried cleaning and greasing the tracks, adjusting the door to make it fit better and operate smoother. I've tried the fuse trick combined with disconnecting the battery for good measure. Nothing works.

What I have determined, is that the door latches are not disengaging the front and rear strikers automatically. I figured this out, by removing them both, and then operating the door remotely. It works perfectly when both strikers are removed, but if either the front or rear striker are installed, the latches do not disengage automatically, so the winch tries to pull the door open (which won't work with the latches engaged), and then gives me 3 error beeps.

When I use the door handle (inside or out), it mechanically releases the latches, so the door works fine this way.

Any ideas what would cause the latches to not disengage?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Yes, I fixed it. It was extremely easy to fix, but very difficult to find the problem. It will also be very difficult to explain without pictures.

With the panel and plastic off the door, looking at all the mechanism, you'll see a clockwork of cables and switches and motors. After opening and closing the door 50 times or more, I was able to locate the cables that were supposed to unlatch the door. These cables were not moving for some reason, so when the winch tries to open door, it stays shut, and you get a fault (3 beeps).

I was able to track down a broken metal post, about the size of a small bolt, that was responsible for one or two cables not actuating. The mechanism was on the lower left portion of the door, and was responsible to unlatching the forward latch. On my door, the rear latch was working, only the front latch was the issue. I just replaced the missing metal post with a spare bolt and nut, and it worked perfectly afterwards. Total cost... $0.00.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't recall, but I have the next best thing.

This procedure will get you in the door:
Power door lock actuator on 2005 Odyssey drivers side sliding door - JustAnswer

The mechanism I fixed is shown in this picture. There is a portion that rotates and slides onto a small metal pole, which then activates a portion of the mechanism that pulls on the cables. Like brakes on a bike. Hard to see in this picture.

Text Auto part Font Diagram Line art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.