Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will get winter tires for our new (to us) van and am leaning towards having steel wheels and I would prefer having TPMS sensors in them.

So, can I get Honda sensors and put them on non-Honda steel wheels, or do I need to go either all (sensors and wheels) Honda or all non-Honda?

If I need to go all non-Honda, does someone have experience with the Tirerack sensors.

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify: I want to know if Honda sensors can be installed on any non-Honda wheels, if they are physically compatible.

I have read in the dePax threads on here that some sensors are hard to fit on some wheels, so I just want to make sure...

Nicolas

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Try the search term TPMS and steel as there are a few threads where using steel wheels as winter tire was discussed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I DID search for similar terms, I swear... :)

The only mention I can find in the first page threads is this:

Well my local Honda Service could not put the TPM sensors on the 16" factory steel wheels for my Blizzaks. Next day lost 10lbs in two wheels. Going to just put the regular valve stems in. I
Sort of answers one part of the question although it does not say the origina of the TPMS sensors...

Nicolas

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Here, some one is eluding to the fact that if EX and LX sensors are interchangeable and if the LX has TPMS sensors, then the EX sensors should work on Honda steel wheels. Not al wheels will accept TPMS sensors so you have to find steel rims that will accept sensors. Perhaps you can ask a local tire shop for advise.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69405&highlight=TPMS+and+Steel

Perhaps this is an option for you?
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67664&highlight=TPMS+and+Steel

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw both threads.

The first thread is talking about all Honda solutions, which I would expect to work. :)

As to no TPMS, and so no VSA, I am trying to avoid that option but it could end up being the only practical one...

Thanks again.

Nicolas

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Ah well. Looks like you have done all you can on this site. Figuring out a rim that will accept the TPMS sensor is usually a trial and error for Honda rims as the sensors expect a thicker valve stem hole.

If you do come across a rim (they are not impossible to find) do post back on what rims you wound up buying as perhaps that will help the next guy in line who wants to do this for their winter rims. :)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You can ask this company if they make what you need and then ask for a distributor locally. Call them in Ohio, I once did and found them helpful.

http://www.orange-electronic.com/eng/06contact/

BTW, I think Honda steel OEM are cheap enough not to cross-shop, so I don't know if you want to bother with this much work. Try Magauto.com for best pricing, perhaps. Of course, CAN could be different - in fact, some used to post about steelies from Costco up there, something we can't get, but you have requirements for winter tires in some areas.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestion.

I called TireRack and their TPMS sensors are compatible with all TPMS-sensor compatible wheels... :-/ The area behind the valve, where the sensor is located, has to be flat, a security thing on the rim has to not be present in that area. (sorry, the nice guy at TR said what that thing was, but I forgot) I would guess newer steel wheels would be OK, but it's a bit of a roll of the dice.

I also checked into Honda and it is an OK deal: Wheels are 80$CAD on sale and sensors are 50$. The price for the wheels is close to other prices I've been given, and while sensors are more expensive, it's not too much more and I can make it up over time.

So I guess it'll be Honda-Honda.

:)

Nicolas

·
Registered
346 Posts
discounted retail in the States is under $35 each wheel plus shipping at Magauto.com. I bet TPMS run about US$14X for a set of four.

Canada gets shafted!! It's worth the drive across the border, get the wheels and Sensors shipped to a tire shop and buy the full set.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The price I was given are probably equivalent to US dealer prices, but two things hurt us canadians:

- The online options are not as developed, especially low price dealers (Bernardi, etc).

- We had a high US$ vs CA$ exchange rate (~1.30+ CA$ per US$) for a long time and prices have not adjusted to the current lower rate.

As for wheels and tires, shipping just kills most of the benefits, on top of the 2.5 hours drive to the US and back AND the possible customs trouble.

For example, the TPMS sensors are 165US$ shipped from Tire Rack, and that is without custom. For the 35$, which I will amortize over many years, I'd rather go to the local dealer.

So, it's not soooo bad... :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
346 Posts
On top of it all is that tax structure - not to mention all the bilingual business!! Seriously, your tire prices are much higher, too. A wheel/tire package costing $1000 there might be $700 here. It's why folks near GTA might even drive to Buffalo for tires, eh?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know this is an old thread but the Honda TPMS sensors will not properly fit a steel rim. I just found out the hard way since the stem will not tighten all the way. The Honda sensors appear to be made for thicker alloy rims and not the thin steel rims.

I have an 07 EX-l Odyssey.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I know this is an old thread but the Honda TPMS sensors will not properly fit a steel rim. I just found out the hard way since the stem will not tighten all the way. The Honda sensors appear to be made for thicker alloy rims and not the thin steel rims.

I have an 07 EX-l Odyssey.
That does NOT sound right. The TPMS system was standard in 2007 and in 2007, the LX was stell rims. If I am not mistaken, the LX, EX, EX-L all had the same TPMS part numbers. Perhaps there is some sort of a washer missing that would make the TPMS sensors fit?

·
Registered
318 Posts
You have a good point there dvpatel. This is the ebay listing that I got it from - when I contacted the seller of the issue when I was with my mechanic, he said it is for alloys only but nowhere in his listing stated that it's not meant for steelies. I assumed it will install with no issues similar to the dorman sensor that it's in my steel wheels at the moment.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221150488620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

History: The problem with my dorman sensors (worked for 2 years) is that the ATEQ trigger tool won't detect these. Apparently, with any TPMS sensors it uses a different protocol for sending signals to the TPMS Rx and another protocol for the triggering tool. It looks like Dorman did not follow the protocols.

In any case, you may be right with the missing washer or something.

I'm thinking perhaps I can use the dorman valve stems on to this Honda sensor, in theory it should work I think.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine too with Dormans until this fall where after I programmed the ECU with the winter set, the low pressure light (not the TPMS) just kept on blinking suggesting one or more of the sensors is not communicating with my TPMS receiver.

I thought I could get the OEM HOnda ones but apparently the stems won't tighten enough to the rim itself.

My 2008 EX-L has had tpms on all four steel wheels since 2009 and I have had no problems... For my winter tires of course ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
318 Posts
I called Honda about it and it appears that genuine Honda sensors will be a hit and miss on OEM steelies (non Honda steel rims). Some wheels will have the flat spot/divets to allow for the sensors to sit and mount the stems correctly. Darn it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts