Honda Odyssey Forum banner

07 EXL sliding door alarm

33K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  thscott 
#1 ·
Just started today-if you have the sliding door switch on if the van is in gear it has a continuous alarm. Only goes off if you switch the switch off. Little history-we bought the van and the fuze was bad for the doors so they weren't working which also affected the door lock remotes. But everything is now working as it was recently fixed. Doors open and close fine with the switch on. No dash lights are on-just the alarm. Any tips on where to look.

#2 ·
Any help would be appreciated. The door once in a while seems to fully seat and the alarm stops. But that happens less and less. Door functions normally when Park without any alarms. But when driving you need to turn the doors off or the alarm wills stay on. It is only the right door that does this. Where is the switch causing this so I can possibly spray some contact cleaner as I think it is just sticky.

#3 ·
How cold was it when this happened? I posted about a similar "continuous alarm" symptom in this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/218258-sliding-doors-frozen-shut.html

Even when the doors appear to be fully closed and the interior lights are off and there is no "Open Door" indicator on the dash, the alarm sounds when the van is put into gear. I have to wait until the van interior warms up enough to fully open the sliders and then close them in order for them to latch completely and silence the alarm.

Was it cold enough that perhaps the slider didn't close enough to turn off the alarm?

#4 ·
I only had the sliding doors working for about a week as they weren't working since I bought. Then the dealer found it was just a fuze that didn't allow the sliders, interior lights, lock remotes, etc to not work. So I can't fully say it is the cold. I park in my garage which is averaging 45 degrees at night and it still is making the alarm. I will look at your thread see if anything relates between the two. Could be the cold but I haven't had it working enough to relate it to anything.

#5 ·
I only had the sliding doors working for about a week as they weren't working since I bought. Then the dealer found it was just a fuze that didn't allow the sliders, interior lights, lock remotes, etc to not work.
The fuse didn't allow them to not work? That's a double negative meaning that they worked. :D :D

So I can't fully say it is the cold. I park in my garage which is averaging 45 degrees at night and it still is making the alarm. I will look at your thread see if anything relates between the two. Could be the cold but I haven't had it working enough to relate it to anything.
45 is too warm for the problem to be caused by the cold. You need freezing temps for the moisture on the doors seals and/or rollers to freeze. It looks like your search must go on. :(

#7 ·
Well I am not finding the issue. It is temp related. The only issue is it alarms but everything else works. It latches, it doesn't have the light come on that the door is open, it doesn't drain the battery. The dealer looked at it Wednesday charging 1/2 hour labor. Did everything they could thing of (with the oil change tech) and resetting the computer "fixed it". Two miles down the road once I was back in the cold I tested and it alarmed again. So they refunded my money. Going to check a different dealer next week while I am in a different town. But would love to fix on my own. Where is the sensor/switch causing this noise?

#8 ·
I also have the same problem and I'm in California. I don't think it is a temp problem, Mine just happened last week. right sliding door if you are driving the car. when you put it on D or R the beeeep goes on and when you put it on P no beep. The beep indicates that your sliding door is still open but I know it is close cause my lights goes off when the doors are shut. I tried closing and opening it at one time and the beep disappears but when you open it again the beep comes back. Anyone out there can help let us know.. coalminer16 Please let me know if you ever find the problem. thank you.

#9 ·
Still working on it. Mine is temp related forsure. The temps here have been bouncing back warm enough to were it depends on the day on if I get it. It is the right door that is doing it as well. No light on the dash-just the alarm. Don't really want to take the door apart blindly until I know which part to focus on.

#10 ·
I had basically the same thing on mine last week. On mine the door closer latch gets a little corroded and does not work quite right. There is another thread on here about taking the door closer apart to free up a slightly corroded pawl. All I did was shoot some penetrating oil into the latch and worked the latch a few times with the dash switch off and voila, all fixed. Not temp related.

#11 ·
Similar to my situation...well actually my wife. She called me while I was on my to work this morning. A continuous alarm came on as she started to back up from the parking. She got all confused and finally she found out it was coming from the left sliding door. Wouldn't shut properly. Temp this morning was -10degrees celsius or 14degrees fahrenheit. Was raining yesterday so the door or some ice froze off the mechanism of the sliding. Will update you guys if everything is okay when I have a check tonight.

#13 ·
Anyone figured this out? Old post.
My 2005 just started with the open door alarm while in drive or reverse. Would also love to just be able to kill the alarm at the source if repair is spendy with new sensors etc. If it is a sensor, would love to know what one and where it is?
I did the number 8 fuse (back up) in the drivers kick panel to reset the doors and that works for a while but it seems to act up again after a short while.
Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

#16 ·
I just had this problem. If you check my thread for "High pitch noise in reverse", posted a few days back. The problem stems from upper "stopper" for sliding door either damaged or missing. You can also search forum with "continuous beep" keywords. Good luck!

#14 ·
It's likely just ice getting in the wrong places. You can try taking a blow dryer to the rear of the door to melt the ice - especially the rear latch, since there are several little switches in there that tell the computer what the door is doing.

Otherwise, just turn off the power door switch beside the steering wheel until it warms up outside enough to melt the ice.

#15 ·
This is a common issue, and there are at least 2 recent threads on here about it. But, there is no permanent fix or solution yet. Until you can find a fix, try this.

- Turn the sliding door switch to OFF if the alarm is going off.
- Turn the sliding door switch to ON to open either door (if you don't want to open them manually)
- To close the troubled door, be sure the switch is OFF then shut it manually and give it an extra push at the end. This worked for me when the RH sliding door was giving me the same issue in 0 degree F weather.

#18 · (Edited)
2005 power door alarm problem

This is a common issue, and there are at least 2 recent threads on here about it. But, there is no permanent fix or solution yet. Until you can find a fix, try this.

- Turn the sliding door switch to OFF if the alarm is going off.
- Turn the sliding door switch to ON to open either door (if you don't want to open them manually)
- To close the troubled door, be sure the switch is OFF then shut it manually and give it an extra push at the end. This worked for me when the RH sliding door was giving me the same issue in 0 degree F weather.
Yes, yet another 2005 Ody owner here that is getting the EXACT same problem as you described. I called Honda Corp and they were no help.

Is this a debris and dirt in the contacts problem? Or is it something else?

#17 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 and did the same thing as Motoman... copious WD40 sprayed at force into the latches on front of door and rear of door, trying to blow out as much dirt and crud as possible, while working the latches. Cleared up the continuous alarm problem (for now).

Originally seemed to be temperature related (<10F) but then started coming on other times. Then this week at 35-40F just came on permanently and nothing I did would help.

BTW - yes, turning off the electric doors at the driver's console will eliminate the alarm, giving sanity until you can deal with the originating problem (apparently filth and debris in the sensing mechanisms of the door latches).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.