Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '07 Ody which is my wife's. She has babied this van since she got it 9 years ago (slightly used). She has fixed every problem and had oil changes every 3k miles for the last 250k miles (it is at 278k now). Last summer she ran over a dead dear or elk travelling across Wyoming and did a small jump over the animal before landing again on the road and then coasting off the exit to a stop at a gas station. she had to restart the car as it died after she had the accident. She also had no brakes because part of the animal had severed the rear brake line. Anyway.... on the the point of my post.

The insurance company says that there is no way that this accident could have damaged the engine, but just after it began to leak fairly substantially from the front of the engine. After 2 trips to the insurance adjuster/shop, they returned it and said the leaks are all because it is old and has so many miles on it. I brought it home, used degreaser to get rid of the residual oil and looked for the leak. The leak is coming from the front of the engine and drips immediately down on what I think is the exhaust manifold because it starts smoking immediately (slight burnt oil smell), even before the car has warmed up.

My question is... Is there anything on the front of the engine that could be damaged and cause an immediate leak like this? I see normal weapage out of all of the gaskets, but they are just damp.... they are not like this leak that leaves spots on the driveway. My father was a Toyota dealership mechanic for 30 years so I know my way around an engine, I'm just not as familiar with a Honda engine and don't know what could be causing this besides a bad gasket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
I doubt the accident caused anything to leak, unless the oil pan got damaged but it sounds like it's coming from higher up than that. Valve cover gaskets and vtec valve gaskets are what come to mind first in this case.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
picture would be useful for identification purpose, since you already know the area the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would post pictures, but would need to take some things apart. The smoke comes from just below the heat shield directly in front and it starts as soon as the engine is turned on, even when cold. It is just a drop or two at a time and it does not lose more than 1 qt over 2000 miles, but the smoke coming from the area makes my wife decide that she will not drive it any longer (it comes in the cabin when she has the AC on any time it is off of recirc. I'll see if I can get some pictures... wondering if I will see exactly where the leak is once I get the heat shield and everything else off the front. Will try this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I don't get it, do you visually see where the oil is coming from?
Don't bother with heat shields on the catalytic converter, thats unnecessarily complicated.

The engine is stacked up from the bottom to the top as below.
valve cover
head
bottom end
oil pan

There would be either rubber, steel or silicone gaskets where each piece joints another.
I dont recall any sensors right in the front near front cat.
Get a mechanics mirror, articulating on a magnet and see whats leaking.
If the car was fixed up by a shop after collision, bring it back there and make them determine if the cause
was collision or normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
First, all front wheel drive vehicles have pretty much the same layout. That said, a Honda engine may have weak points where it tends to leak.

Second, how much oil are we talking about? Are you leaving puddles on the ground, or do you just see oil on the engine?

Finally, if you're going to make an insurance claim, you've got to find physical damage, and certainly if the engine was pushed upwards and shifted, you could certainly have damage where you can't see.

You probably need to pay someone to spend a little time and just look around, and the reality is, this shouldn't be big money for either you or the insurance company.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why waste time on a car with over 250K miles. Just tape a big sanitary napkin where the oil leak at and change it once a month.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Why waste time on a car with over 250K miles. Just tape a big sanitary napkin where the oil leak at and change it once a month.
why stop there? you can squeeze the oil out of it once a month and put it right back into crankcase? :DD:DD:DD:DD:DD:DD
or even better, create a rube goldberg machine that will automatically recycle the oil right back into the car

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
There are vtec solenoids on the side of each cylinder head and sometimes they leak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a similar leak onto my front headers that smoked like crazy. Front valve cover seals were bad. I don't think the crash would have caused it. If they are as bad as mine, they are going to be glued to your valve covers. Get some razor blades and a hammer and tap them into the gasket to free the valve cover. Be VERY CAREFUL, your entire engine is alu and even razor blades will put pretty decent gouges into your valve covers.

Additionally, you may notice your rear valve covers aren't nearly as bad as your fwd covers. Allegedly the fwd ones get gummed up when your PCV goes bad so do yourself a favor and get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7RUY0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The valve cover kits I used (you can get knock offs for cheaper):
Fwd Valve Cover
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-12030-RGL-A01-Cover-Gasket/dp/B00E5O58JK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489436032&vehicle=2007-59-756-------------0&sr=1-1&ymm=2007:honda:odyssey&keywords=Genuine+2007+Honda+Odyssey+Valve+cover+gasket+kit

Rear valve cover:
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-12050-RGM-A00-Cover-Gasket/dp/B00E5O5958/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1489436032&vehicle=2007-59-756-------------0&sr=1-2&ymm=2007:honda:odyssey&keywords=Genuine+2007+Honda+Odyssey+Valve+cover+gasket+kit

On your rear valve cover note the two spots on each side of the "hump" that require RTV.

For the bolts, cut the old rubber grommets off. Soak the new grommets in hot water and get some dish soap. Soap up the new grommet (after its heated) and slide it over the bolt. If you can separate the rubber from the metal it makes things easier. You'll understand when you see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a bit old, but did you ever resolve this issue?

This EXACT same thing just started on our 2006 EX-L. Going to try to begin ripping it down this week to diagnose it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My oil leak experience. 2005 Odyssey, 144k mi, slow drip been growing over the year, wet on oil pan drain bolt, wet by some of the oil pan screw closer to the passenger side, replaced oil filter base gasket (3 bolts 16 ftlb torque) and seemed to mitigate the issue.

Genuine Honda (15302-RDV-J00) Oil Filter Base Gasket Amazon.com: Genuine Honda (15302-RDV-J00) Oil Filter Base Gasket: Automotive (~$16)

Good youtube videos on the replacement.

This one is for 2004 Ody but the replacement is 99.9% the same (there is no electrical connector to remove on a 2005 (and I am assuming 2005-2010 models):

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
This one is for 2004 Ody but the replacement is 99.9% the same (there is no electrical connector to remove on a 2005 (and I am assuming 2005-2010 models):
the presence of electrical connector depends if you have a6 or a7 engine. VCM engine does not have it, while I believe non VCM engine does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts