Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All...'07 Odyssey. Previously had two key/remote combos plus one standard (non-remote) transponder key (at least I think it's a transponder).

Here's what happened:

1. Lost one of the key/remote combos years ago.

2. Recently allowed the battery in key/remote combo #2 to run all the way down. It was also slightly damaged and a bit loose.

3. In order to not damage key/remote combo further, we used non-remote/transponder key for about a week.

4. Ordered new fob case for key/remote combo. Bought a new battery for it.

5. Received new case for key. Put it all together with new battery (using the old combo's guts).

6. Tried the newly refurbished key and it would not work. Wouldn't lock/unlock anything. Will allow me to attempt to turn the car over but ignition will not catch and car won't start.

7. Non-remote key still works fine. Car starts without difficulty.

8. Followed instructions to reprogram key/remote combo, and it will now unlock/lock all doors. But it still won't start the engine! Non-remote key is the only way to drive the car.

Any thoughts on how to get the refurbished key/remote combo to fully turn the vehicle on???

Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I guess I'm not quite following what you did.

I have an '07 Touring which came with 2 black keys, each with a separate keyless entry fob to Lock/Unlock doors, open and close the sliding doors and lift gate, and has a panic button to manually sound the horn. The key and fob are only together in that they are on a key ring - the keyless entry fob has nothing to do with starting the engine.

It also came with a grey valet key which I believe allows someone to open the door from the lock manually and start the vehicle, but not lock / unlock the glove box or under floor storage (this is my assumption though as I've never used this key). This sounds like what you are now using to drive your Ody.

The keys themselves have a chip which allows them to start the car. You can't see the chip unless you open the cover which isn't recommended. If you need to replace a key a dealer or locksmith with special equipment needs to not only cut it, but also program it to work with the vehicle.

I would have thought if you were having a problem with your keyless entry fob you would just order a new fob, program it like it appears you did successfully, and place it on the key ring with the original key.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts