Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solved

Hi y'all,
I have an 07 odyssey, that's never given me one bit of trouble. have about 75k on it.

Today, since Atlanta is defrosting I attempted to start the van and no luck.

It turns over very strongly, and even seems to "catch" but wont run.

I've checked the fuel pump fuse (you can hear it kick back in when i put the fuse back in the slot)
checked the ignition fuse under the hood and in the car.

Any ideas?

thanks so much for y'alls help.

·
Administrator
14,480 Posts
Its either a weak battery or the immobilizer. Is the key icon blinking? If yes, it might be the security system. I get that its turning strong but that still is not a conclusive test for a weak battery. I would still try to jump it. Let the battery charge a few mins after you connect it to another car by keeping the other car running for a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DVpatel,
I tried jumping it, but will gladly try again.

The key icon only blinks when I pull the key out, it was my first through also. I also tried another key that we have.

Can you tell me exactly how the immobilizer would let me know that its the wrong key?

dvpatel said:
Its either a weak battery or the immobilizer. Is the key icon blinking? I would still try to jump it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went through and checked all the fuses. All were ok that I could pull. The set in the drivers kickpanel and the set on the passengers engine back. The right part of the black box.

The green key symbol only turns on for a second and then goes out with the rest of the error lights.

Engine seems to catch but wont run.

Do these motors have a ambient air temp sensor that could be bad?

I'm hoping its something much easier....

Thanks again!!

·
Administrator
14,480 Posts
If the immobilizer is preventing the start then the key icon should keep blinking. Since you only get a short blink time, the security system seems to be fine. I don't know of an ambient temp sensor that would prevent the van from starting. Hope someone else has more ideas as I am all out of 'em.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Okay a silly suggestion but do is your tranny set at P for park? When was the last time that the van started?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great question!

I put it in the neutral also, to see if it would start in that position.

Car was last time started and driven Sunday night (4 days ago).

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming, we'll get it soon :D

roadcarver said:
Okay a silly suggestion but do is your tranny set at P for park? When was the last time that the van started?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did you try to boost it?

Anything stuck in the air intake or exhaust pipe?

Are all the spark plug wires connected to the spark plug?

The following suggestion may or may not work. I did this to my 98 Altima before.

I depressed the gas pedal all the way down and cranked it. After one or two crank, it worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
This is from the owner's manual under the main menu Driving section, then Starting the Engine section:

1. Apply the parking brake.

2. In cold weather, turn off all
electrical accessories to reduce
the drain on the battery.

3. Make sure the shift lever is in
Park. Press on the brake pedal.

4. Without touching the accelerator
pedal, turn the ignition key to the
START (III) position. Do not hold
the key in the START (III)
position for more than 15 seconds
at a time. If the engine does not
start right away, pause for at least
10 seconds before trying again.

5. If the engine does not start within
15 seconds, or starts but stalls
right away, repeat step 4 with the
accelerator pedal pressed halfway
down. If the engine starts, release
pressure on the accelerator pedal
so the engine does not race.

6. If the engine fails to start, press
the accelerator pedal all the way
down, and hold it there while
starting to clear flooding. If the
engine still does not start, return
to step 5.

Hopefully performing steps 5 or 6 will help get the engine started.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had high hopes for that, as I didn't try different pedals positions (I thought that would only work with a carbed engine). Thank you for the great post.

However, no luck....

Are there any relays that I should look at?

EE4Life said:
This is from the owner's manual under the main menu Driving section, then Starting the Engine section:

1. Apply the parking brake.

2. In cold weather, turn off all
electrical accessories to reduce
the drain on the battery.

3. Make sure the shift lever is in
Park. Press on the brake pedal.

4. Without touching the accelerator
pedal, turn the ignition key to the
START (III) position. Do not hold
the key in the START (III)
position for more than 15 seconds
at a time. If the engine does not
start right away, pause for at least
10 seconds before trying again.

5. If the engine does not start within
15 seconds, or starts but stalls
right away, repeat step 4 with the
accelerator pedal pressed halfway
down. If the engine starts, release
pressure on the accelerator pedal
so the engine does not race.

6. If the engine fails to start, press
the accelerator pedal all the way
down, and hold it there while
starting to clear flooding. If the
engine still does not start, return
to step 5.

Hopefully performing steps 5 or 6 will help get the engine started.

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
Check and test the fuel pump relay:

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

2. Remove the left front door sill trim and the left kick
panel.

3. Locate PGM-FI Main Relay 2 (Fuel Pump) in the
under-dash fuse/relay box. It may likely be blue and say "Relay Denso" on it.

4. Remove and test it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great question! I do, however have gas in the car. I even checke to make sure the cap was on all the way, thought maybe a lot of water had gotten in there, but everthing was on tight.

I also tried to start the car in N and ran through the gears a bunch just to see if that would help.

Still nothing but cranking....
roadcarver said:
BTW, another silly question. Do you have gas in the tank? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I will definitely do this in the AM. Its getting very cold (for atlanta) and completely dark.

I will report back on this.

Just as a side note, I do hear a very fair whining when i insert back the fuelpump fuse, would that mean the relay is good?

I will check it either way.

Thanks!
EE4Life said:
Check and test the fuel pump relay:

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

2. Remove the left front door sill trim and the left kick
panel.

3. Locate PGM-FI Main Relay 2 (Fuel Pump) in the
under-dash fuse/relay box. It may likely be blue and say "Relay Denso" on it.

4. Remove and test it.

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
ZK_Vannin said:
Ok I will definitely do this in the AM. Its getting very cold (for atlanta) and completely dark.

I will report back on this.

Just as a side note, I do hear a very fair whining when i insert back the fuelpump fuse, would that mean the relay is good?

I will check it either way.

Thanks!
When you turn the ignition to the ON position, without starting it, you should hear a short whining/buzzing for a second or two and then stop. That is the fuel pump operating. If you are hearing it, and it sounds like you are when you re-inserted the fuel pump fuse, then the relay is likely fine.

Perhaps you have a frozen fuel line? Have you tried something like HEET? I normally do not recommend using it, but perhaps it will work.

Is your Ody outside? If so, try moving it indoors and allowing the fuel system to thaw for awhile.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The was a recall for the fuel pump relay on a lot of Honda/Acura vehicles around that time. As mentioned, it is a blue relay in the lower driver side panel. Pull the cover off and it is marked Denso or ???, can't recall. Try swapping with a similar relay and see if it starts.
Have somebody turn the key to run and crawl under the rear by the fuel tank. Does the pump hum?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will listen for the whine tomorrow, but the thawing advice is good. Only problem is I have a big v8 MB in the garage and have no interest trying to back it up the steep and icy driveway to put the ody inside....This will have to wait till it gets above freezing tomorrow(hopefully).

I wonder though, how would fuel freeze. I pretty much exclusively use costco gas.

EE4Life said:
When you turn the ignition to the ON position, without starting it, you should hear a short whining/buzzing for a second or two and then stop. That is the fuel pump operating. If you are hearing it, and it sounds like you are when you re-inserted the fuel pump fuse, then the relay is likely fine.

Perhaps you have a frozen fuel line? Have you tried something like HEET? I normally do not recommend using it, but perhaps it will work.

Is your Ody outside? If so, try moving it indoors and allowing the fuel system to thaw for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
mjody said:
The was a recall for the fuel pump relay on a lot of Honda/Acura vehicles around that time. As mentioned, it is a blue relay in the lower driver side panel. Pull the cover off and it is marked Denso or ???, can't recall. Try swapping with a similar relay and see if it starts.
Have somebody turn the key to run and crawl under the rear by the fuel tank. Does the pump hum?
That recall applied to some 2005 Ody VINs. I just checked the TSB (07-020) and there were no updates or Ody VINs/years added.

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
ZK_Vannin said:
I will listen for the whine tomorrow, but the thawing advice is good. Only problem is I have a big v8 MB in the garage and have no interest trying to back it up the steep and icy driveway to put the ody inside....This will have to wait till it gets above freezing tomorrow(hopefully).

I wonder though, how would fuel freeze. I pretty much exclusively use costco gas.
Fuel shouldn't freeze nowadays with the additives they put in it, but it was just a suggestion. Thawing out the Ody will do the same thing. Hopefully warmer temps will fix the issue.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts