Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 Odyssey and all has been working good for the most part. However, I have a question regarding its battery/electrical system.

Several times over the last few years, I have apparently been in circumstances that have accidentally drained the vehicle's main battery. In all cases, they involved either leaving the DVD player running or external XM radio running (& plugged in via 12V port) with the engine turned off. A simple jump from one of our other vehicles has then gotten it back to normal and all continued to work good. In all of these cases though, it involved the device (XM radio and/or OEM DVD player) running for only about 5-10mins before the car becomes disabled and needs a jump.

The latest occurrence happened this morning when the wife put our son in the car in the garage and was letting him briefly watch a DVD for about 10mins with the engine off while she was gathering other things inside the house. When she came out & tried to fully start the car, it would not turn over. She will be able to use another vehicle until I can get home and do the jump, but is this 10min time frame normal before the battery needs to be jumped?

I have an old '94 Nissan truck and I have left the radio on for 45-60mins before and am easily able to start the vehicle without any issues. Is this maybe some kind of Honda safety issue or something? Like I said, once we jump it, all works great and continues to do so for months at time before this accident may happen again.

Just curious about this situation and while we TRY not to let this happen too often, I'm sure it may again.

:p

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I'd suggest it is just the battery needs replacing. Batteries do not last long in the Odyssey especially with all the electronics draining the life out of them. 3-5 years is the normal OEM battery lifespan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
I'd suggest it is just the battery needs replacing. Batteries do not last long in the Odyssey especially with all the electronics draining the life out of them. 3-5 years is the normal OEM battery lifespan.
Same thing happened to me, and I just had to replaced the battery. I got my replacement battery at Costco. I've been very happy with the battery performance. Never going back to OEM battery as I have not been happy with the HONDA battery (I am sure someone else makes the battery for them, but I have no idea who the mfg is for Honda batteries)

Since then, it would just work great without any problems.

Not only DVDs and XM drains the battery, but everytime you open and close your sliding door, it uses the battery.

Check the battery connection area for any excessive corrosions, as you might have to clean that up before. I always check the terminal to make sure area is clean.

One thing I hate about OEM battery is that it does not have any type of handle to lift the battery out. I sure had hard time getting the battery out.

I hope that is your problem, and it should be a easy fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm thinking maybe the battery just needs replacement too. We have a family member taking the vehicle to a Honda dealer right now cause they said since its less than 3yrs (we got it in 11/07), then they would fully replace the battery if needed. They'll do a test and we'll see.

If for some reason they won't replace it, I plan to get a new battery at my local Kauffman Tires. Honda dealer wants $99 for a 3yr warranty battery. Kaufmann wants $109 for a 6yr warranty battery. And kaufmann's is a FULL replacement warranty. No prorated stuff like other places (Advanced, Autozone, etc.). If it fails in the 6yrs, they'll give you a new battery at no charge.

I've gotten a battery from them for another vehicle and have been happy with it along with their other services we routinely get from them. Same thing too in that my other vehicle's battery from them has a FULL 6yr replacement warranty so might as well stick with what works :p

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Keep in mind that people sometimes buy from a place that has many stores in many locations - so that when the battery does leave you stranded, you can readily exercise the warranty.

A long warranty is no good if you are not near the store you bought from.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yea, I have thought about the same thing, but Kaufmann has been good in this area too. I got my tires from them. We are in the Atlanta area & went on vacation to the Biloxi area a few months ago. We got a flat tire down there & there are no Kaufmanns down there. It couldn't simply be repaired either, but rather, it had to be fully replaced. I called my local Kaufmann and they said their tires have full replacement warranties.

All I had to do was get the same tire (or equivalent) at any local tire place in Biloxi and they would then refund me the total price for it when I returned. I was skeptical, but didn't have much of a choice since I was down there. The local mom & pop tire place got an exact replacement & it took about 1 day to get. We chilled at the beach in the meantime. They then mounted the new tire and all was good.

I returned to the Atlanta area & gave them the receipt for the tire. They then gave me the full price back on my credit card. No questions asked. They didn't even need the old tire so I didn't have to worry about hauling that thing all the way back.

Kaufmann just told me too that they deal with NAPA batteries so they are all over the place and getting a replacement if needed shouldn't be too hard since Napa stores are nationwide like Advanced and Autozone.

Due to that kind of outstanding performance & customer service (I wish more places were like this), I have even more of a reason to stay with them and feel confident in their service.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's a common problem for Van onwers who obviously buy the van (with many electronics gadgets) because of Kids and their daily short distanted activities where the van isn't driven long enough to recharge the battery. I don't turn off the engine until all kids got out and close the powered sliding doors. Priority Start is the another choice if you want to feel comfortable letting your kids watch a movie while waiting your spouse in the market or shopping mall.

Sellers who offer warranty for van onwer will be loosing money. May be that's why my local Costco don't sell battery for our Odyssey anymore :D

Don't forget that every time you let the battery go completely dead, you shorten the life of the battery quite a bit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
From what I hear, if you have accidentally drained the batteries and give it a boost, there is a chance that it could crack the plates inside, causing it not to retain 100% power.

If this is the case where you are using an electronic gizmo while the engine is off, and it kills the battery, this means that the battery is dying.

Its better to replace now than causing it to also kill your alternator.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, since the battery was still under warranty (till 11/10), we took it to a local Honda dealer and they tested it. They said it tested fine and all was good.

When the warranty is up, I will probably just go ahead and replace it at Kaufmann like I mentioned so won't have to worry about it possibly dying on my wife when its least expected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just found out the '07 van we bought a few months ago had a bad battery. The one that is in it has a sticker that says it's date of 5/09. Can't believe it's bad already! But I guess there's no warranty with this battery cause we are the 2nd owners and I can't find any paperwork to go with it.

We are going with the Honda replacement battery from the dealer this time. We'll see how that goes. Supposed to be a 6 year battery. Will let you all know how it turns out, but being stranded isn't much fun. So will be nice to have that problem fixed.

BTW, the price for the dealer installed factory replacement is $109.

UPDATE: Turns out the AC clutch relay was bad. Apparently it's very common for those to kill a battery in these vans. We ended up with the 100 month factory replacement battery. Entire bill was $170 today.

·
Registered
250 Posts
russ668 said:
Just found out the '07 van we bought a few months ago had a bad battery. The one that is in it has a sticker that says it's date of 5/09. Can't believe it's bad already! But I guess there's no warranty with this battery cause we are the 2nd owners and I can't find any paperwork to go with it.

We are going with the Honda replacement battery from the dealer this time. We'll see how that goes. Supposed to be a 6 year battery. Will let you all know how it turns out, but being stranded isn't much fun. So will be nice to have that problem fixed.

BTW, the price for the dealer installed factory replacement is $109.

UPDATE: Turns out the AC clutch relay was bad. Apparently it's very common for those to kill a battery in these vans. We ended up with the 100 month factory replacement battery. Entire bill was $170 today.
that sure is one expensive battery. Gone thru 4 OEM batteries for my 05, and I will never go back to OEM batteries. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
achung73 said:
that sure is one expensive battery. Gone thru 4 OEM batteries for my 05, and I will never go back to OEM batteries. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, it included the labor to "test" for the thing that was draining the battery. The battery itself was $109. Also had the expense of the clutch relay switch which was about $10.

·
Registered
250 Posts
russ668 said:
Yeah, it included the labor to "test" for the thing that was draining the battery. The battery itself was $109. Also had the expense of the clutch relay switch which was about $10.
According to you math, to test the battery, it was $50. I would've just skip the testing of battery, and pay exta $20 or so to get a new battery. Just saying...

Like previous posters, look for better batteries at Autozone, Costco (my choice), K-man tire locations...for future reference.

Dealer is not a dealer...they are STealers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
achung73 said:
If you had to go through 4 in that time, I suggest it's more than just the battery quality. You may have a current draw somewhere.

·
Registered
250 Posts
whoa said:
If you had to go through 4 in that time, I suggest it's more than just the battery quality. You may have a current draw somewhere.
yeah, I did...from RES system...STealer could not locate until they were on to 3rd battery.

Long story, but everything is fine now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts