Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a certified pre-owned Odyssey two months ago. It has 44K miles on it. Last night I went to leave and it was dead. We jumped it but didn't let it charge very long. Hubby tried this morning and it was dead again. I just had my dad come over and jump and let it charge for half an hour. I have been reading some forums online and it seems this might be a common problem with Odysseys and I am concerned with how much runaround I am seeing them talk about with Honda. They aren't going in and simply getting "We've identified what this problem is" whether it be the alternator, bad cabling, etc. I am reading a lot of having to go back and forth 5+ times and keep draining batteries and getting stranded. Concerned of course because I bought a Honda because it is supposed to be reliable. Has anyone else had any issues with the battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had a similar problem with a dead battery in a 2007.
Autozone tested and confirmed no problem with the charging system, just a dead battery.
The original batteries tend to die in about three years.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Exact same thing happened to my 2007 Ody at 37K miles, which was out of the 3y/36K warranty period.

Go to Autozone and get a new battery. It has better warranty and there are tons of Autozone stores in the country.

Also, look up the Group Number (? I forgot but maybe group 47) pricing at local Walmart. In my case Walmart listed it for $77.

I told Autozone the $77 price and they price-matched it from their original price of $95 down to $77!

·
Registered
318 Posts
My Odyssey is at 79K, will turn 4 years old this coming April and the battery is still strong.

Could it be that the plates could have cracked due to shock ie. rough roads?

I'm not sure if this is true though... I heard that if the battery gets drained and if it gets boosted, their's a possibility that the plates can crack as well?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Anything over five years on a battery is pure luck. Make that over three years on a Honda battery. Have the battery and your charging system tested. Do you drive a lot of short trips? If so the battery will not recover and gradually be discharged. Honda uses a battery with too low a CCA number for all the power the van needs.
Something you need to do is check all the lights to make sure they aren't turned on. Also any after market attachments need to be checked. If they are wired to the hot side of the ignition switch they could drain the battery.

·
Registered
218 Posts
kjbesh said:
We just got a certified pre-owned Odyssey two months ago. It has 44K miles on it. Last night I went to leave and it was dead. We jumped it but didn't let it charge very long. Hubby tried this morning and it was dead again. I just had my dad come over and jump and let it charge for half an hour. I have been reading some forums online and it seems this might be a common problem with Odysseys and I am concerned with how much runaround I am seeing them talk about with Honda. They aren't going in and simply getting "We've identified what this problem is" whether it be the alternator, bad cabling, etc. I am reading a lot of having to go back and forth 5+ times and keep draining batteries and getting stranded. Concerned of course because I bought a Honda because it is supposed to be reliable. Has anyone else had any issues with t
he battery?
Battery life varies widely. Among the things that will kill it are deep discharge cycles - like from leaving the lights on. 3-4 of those, and the battery is toast.

Now, you could have a 'always on' circuit with excessive draw - an amp meter along with pulling of fuses will help diagnose; anything over 200 milliamps will kill the battery over a few days of the car being idle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not to sound like an advertisement, but I've been using a batteryminder charger on our '07 for the past couple of weeks. First time I've seen the green eye since the van was new. Starts better than new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dead battery

The battery in my 2005 kept dying. after doing some testing i found out that leaving the side doors open in the garage drained the battery even though i turned off the interior light switch on the dash. there is a sensor that draws power even though the switch is off. hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 07 ody (bought new in Dec. 06) dead in Jan, 11 with only 44K miles. I had 96 Accord and 97 CRV, both original batteries last for more than 8 years.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
My 07 ody (bought new in Dec. 06) dead in Jan, 11 with only 44K miles. I had 96 Accord and 97 CRV, both original batteries last for more than 8 years.
Given the number of electronics on the Ody vs those older vehicles...seems like it would make sense. Auto manufacturers are actually working with a limit...the 12v system on cars is barely able to keep up these days with NAV/DVD/sliding doors, seat heaters, etc. They've been toying with going to a higher power system but so far the cost/benefit doesn't work out. I can deal with a $100 battery every 3-4 years.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
We just got a certified pre-owned Odyssey two months ago. It has 44K miles on it.
Does the "certified pre-owned" vehicle come with a warranty? This should have been one of the checks. If it is not covered, is simple enough to go and get the battery replaced at your local parts place, sams club, bj's etc. It is worth it just for the piece of mind, not have to worry about getting stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Honda puts a marginal battery in the Odyssey. My Cobalt has a battery about the same size as the origonal Odyssey battery which was around 560 CCA and only lasted four years. First time I have ever had a battery die in sixty years of driving. One thing I do is replace the battery at five years to keep from having a dead battery in the middle of the night at zero degrees. I replaced it with one of 880 CCA. No more battery problems.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The battery in my 2005 kept dying. after doing some testing i found out that leaving the side doors open in the garage drained the battery even though i turned off the interior light switch on the dash. there is a sensor that draws power even though the switch is off. hope that helps.
This is good info. We always leave the sliding door opened because I was tired of waiting for veryone to get out (I don' shut off the engine when the sliding doors are operared to save the battery).

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I habitually use my trusty Batery Tender Plus and have had no battery problems on the either the OEM battery or its replaement, the Odysssey 1200MJT.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I habitually use my trusty Batery Tender Plus and have had no battery problems on the either the OEM battery or its replaement, the Odysssey 1200MJT.

07 with 42K, battery was deemed marginal at pre-purchase inspection and replaced by selling dealer.

Would love to see how you have that Odyssey battery mounted. Can you take a pic and put up here? Did it require any particular movement and orientation setup? Heck of a battery. How is their reputation?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife drives our 2008 Odyssey (52K) and reports that she's having an apparently totally dead battery (ie click-no start) more often these days.
So it's intermittent -- very annoying. I just called Honda and they were tepidly sympathetic and referred me to our (distinctly uncooperative) local Honda dealership. Battery not considered part of the drive train -- so a new battery's on me.
We have had the battery and alternator checked twice -- no problems found.
When jumped, the car starts every time. So questions:
1) So I'm confused -- if the battery is suspect -- I'm wondering why it always checks out OK? Could it be that we should just put in a hefty new battery?
2) Does anyone have a good guide to how to disable/minimize all those silly battery-draining extras (e.g. sliding doors -- is there a mode that enables us to use our own musculature to operate the doors rather than depend on Honda's under-designed technology?)
As I told Honda on the phone, I'm "Not a happy camper".

·
Registered
35 Posts
rdp2n, You most likely need to replace your battery. There are several threads on this forum that discuss the fact that Honda OEM batteries just don't last as long as expected. If I recall correctly, I had to replace the battery on my 2007 EXL at about 2.5 years and roughly the same mileage as yours.

As for this:
2) Does anyone have a good guide to how to disable/minimize all those silly battery-draining extras (e.g. sliding doors -- is there a mode that enables us to use our own musculature to operate the doors rather than depend on Honda's under-designed technology?)
Absolutely, just set the switch on the dash for the sliding doors to manual. (Although your wife will most likely quickly tire of manually opening and closing those doors.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the helpful response, wood712.
Replacing the battery will probably a useful and (relatively economical) first step. As with our other problem with this car (howling rear wheel bearings) -- I have no doubt that when I contact the dealer with this one, their reaction will be as though I am the first Odyssey owner ever to experience this problem. Don't know if they are willfully ignorant or just not on the ball. Thank goodness for sites like this one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would not recommend using Honda OEM batteries on Ody's no matter what year it is. They just suck (personal opinion). I have 05, had to change like 4 times (2 times due to some "factory" defect).

I will never buy Honda OEM batteries for all of my 3 hondas in the family. Honda may make great cars, but they sure don't know how to find a good battery mfg.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts