Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No power steering while the car is at idle. I can keep my foot on throttle (and brake while getting out of parking space) , it works fine. The fluid is level, the belts are good..

I see there is a tsa for 05 and 06, but not for 07? anyone else have this problem with their 07? car has only 29k!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks txn. just saw that.. called honda earlier and they claimed there is none!! will find out more tomorrow at the dealership..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem on my 07 Touring

My 07 touring is hard to turn the steering wheel especially when trying to park. I'm also getting a low popping sound and when it was winter here, there was a whining sound. Dealer thinks it's the power steering pump and suspension problem. Any advice??

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's definitely the power steering pump, I had the same problem before. I got it replaced from the dealer under warranty, now I can parallel park with just one hand.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I had the exact same issue (whining noise) of PS, replaced the PS Reservoir and all is well now!

The problem is somehow the filter at the bottom of the reservoir becomes clogged with time. A new PS Reservoir is about $13 at dealer, very very easy to change.

If you replace the PS Reservoir ASAP, you can prevent further damage to the PS Pump b/c prolonged use of a PS system with clogged filter will kill the PS Pump.

The thread below is for PS Pump Replacement, I wrote PS Reservoir DIY ONLY (in my case I did not replace the PS Pump) in that thread. If you want to chnage ONLY the PS Reservoir, then just read threads #25 and #26:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/77121-power-steering-pump-replacement-diy.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 51,000 miles so I'm out of warranty. Dealer is saying around $650 to replace pump. I wish I could do it myself but unfortunately I wasn't given mechanical gifts. I appreciate all the feedback! At least I know their not trying to make up some bs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
at 51k miles (on our 2007 EXL) we had noticed the same issue. Luckily for us we had just purchased the car and it was covered under warranty. They had to replace the whole power steering pump and the cost would be more than $500.

If you can find an independent mechanic to do the job, you might save a bit on labor. The PS assembly would run in the $200- $300 ball park from Honda maybe cheaper if you look online.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have 51,000 miles so I'm out of warranty. Dealer is saying around $650 to replace pump. I wish I could do it myself but unfortunately I wasn't given mechanical gifts. I appreciate all the feedback! At least I know their not trying to make up some bs.
Why don't you start with the PS Reservoir first?

It is $13 and very very easy to do, see my post above.
Anyone can do this PS Reservoir replacement, even with no previous mechanical skills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I just picked up my van after replacing the ps pump and the knocking sound is still there!! WTF! I just spent $590 to get this fixed. What should I expect now? I notice it mostly makes the noise when I turn left...

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Ok so I just picked up my van after replacing the ps pump and the knocking sound is still there!! WTF! I just spent $590 to get this fixed. What should I expect now? I notice it mostly makes the noise when I turn left...
What knocking sound? Can you please describe it a bit better? Also, you should have pushed for goodwill assistance. Dealers don't usually just offer it. You have to ask for it. I would take it back now and say the issue is not resolved. Did you have any trouble turning the wheel at idle speed before? Was it very hard to turn like there is no power occasionally? If yes, is that problem now resolved?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts