Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to figure this one out. Yesterday we were going to take the family for some ice cream and bam limp mode kicked on before I even left the yard. Rough idle, doesn't go over 5k, and at first, it had two pending codes (p0300 and p0301). Next thing I rescaned I get P0300, 301, 304, 306. Clear again I get 301 only pending. I pulled the coil packs and front bank all have noticeable changes and when i pull no changes on the idle on all three rear.

I'm thinking and after reading that the timing is going to be most likely the issue if a whole bank of coils is out. Is that pretty much the case? i can't do the timing d/t hand injuries, but i'm looking for anything else I might be able to look into because I also just bled my savings on another huge bill and really would rather keep it simple.

cliff:
Limp mode (no go over 5k)
Rear bank of coils pulled no change on idle of engine
front pull any and engine changes.

Happy to post videos or what ever

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just answered similar thread.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
from what i read VCM adding now is moot its preventative but not procedural post misfire codes. I'll be getting one or making one, yet i'll be pulling the plugs tomorrow with a jacked hand. It just seems out of sorts that 1-2-3 packs would all be out at the same time, no previous issues, yet bought used so hx unknown.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you swap the back coils with the fronts? Doing a cylinder drop test alone wouldn't be enough to condemn all 3 rear coils. Adding the VCMuzzler did stop oil consumption for one member here. Certainly not a guarantee, but worth a try. Real fix is to replace the piston rings on the rear cylinders.

Shortly after purchasing our van, got the misfire codes. Disabled VCM and haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
First, it would be really helpful to know your mileage and trim level. Only the EX-L and the Touring in that year had VCM so if your van is an LX or EX then your issue is not VCM related because it doesn't have it. If you have an EX-L or Touring then, most likely, it's a VCM related issue and caused by oil fouling of the rear plugs. The piston rings can also get dirty, caused by VCM, and stick, causing lower compression in those rear cylinders. Many times installing the Muzzler will cause these cylinders to fire all the time and they will clean themselves out.

If your vehicle has VCM then I'd order the Muzzler for sure. Then I'd pull the plugs and inspect them for fouling. That will determine the direction you're going to go. If they're fouled then replace them with new NGK replacements and see how it runs. If it still has a misfire after than then you're going to have to go deeper.

Misfire codes can often be deceiving. They are not always accurate so you can't go simply by codes.

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
You mentioned "jumped timing" in the thread title. Had you just replaced the timing belt?

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts