Honda Odyssey Forum banner

'07 Touring with 18" MDX Wheels. The cure for PAX!

955K views 2K replies 366 participants last post by  WamboJambo 
#1 ·
Replaced the PAX tire/wheel combo on our '07 Touring. Used the '07 Acura MDX Sport package wheels 18"X8". Tires are from an '07 Acura RDX, Michelin 235/55/18. The standard MDX tires are 255/55/18 which are too wide for the fenders on the Odyssey, some rubbing will occur, especially when fully loaded. Tire pressure sensors were also replaced with the correct ones for the Odyssey, part number:06421-S3V-A04.

'07 MDX Sport Package Wheels

Perfect fitment and wheel offset.

Ride is quieter than the Michelin PAX and not as rough over small road imperfections.

Notice the width of the stock 255's on the MDX, compared to the 235's mounted on the Odyssey.

Replaced the MDX Tire pressure sensors, with the Odyssey's TPMS.

This is the correct TPMS for the swap. Note the part number.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks VERY nice! Much better than EX-L's wheels !

#3 ·
And the total price of this setup comes to......?
Of coure I don't need the TPMS, but would like to upgrade rims when the OEM tires wear out. That setup looks very nice!

#4 ·
Agreed, a very attractive solution. Someone might want to send these photos to Honda. Normally I'd say they won't use Acura wheels on a Honda, but the Accord EX V6's wheels do strongly resemble those on the Gen2 TL Type-S...

#6 ·
Did you happen to try to use the Acura sensors before you replaced them with the Honda sensors? I have read somewhere before that the Acura ones worked. These wheels do look very nice on your Ody.

When I had my PAX wheel next to my Acura 17" RL wheel, I couldn't believe the difference in weight. The new wheel felt like it weighed half as much and that seriously translated to improved off the line acceleration and improved fuel economy. Even though there is a difference in diameter (speedometer effect) I still got 31 MPG on my first 100 mile drive with the new wheels. I am sure you will have the same gains.

Congrats on the upgrade.

#7 ·
The Acura MDX sensors will not link to the Ody's You will get an error.

Reactions: BergerKing
#10 ·
jcody07 said:
Looks very :cool: !

The turn signal side marker also looks very clean. What kind did you use and how easy or difficult was that to install?
Ditto here... Please let us know what turn signal you've used (manufacturer/part#), as well as how it wired... looks clean, european-style. Was it from a BMW ?

#12 ·
mkaresh said:
Agreed, a very attractive solution. Someone might want to send these photos to Honda. Normally I'd say they won't use Acura wheels on a Honda, but the Accord EX V6's wheels do strongly resemble those on the Gen2 TL Type-S...
In fact, they are the Gen 2 TL Type S wheels.

#13 ·
So in fact, just about any of the MDX wheels for the new gen (2) should work on the Odyssey?

#17 ·
hardcore!
very2 nice
why dont you get the rear and side bodykit too?

i was just thinking yesterday since you work at acura dealer
do you think MDX 07 mirror fit to odyssey ?I been wanting to have signal in my mirror

#19 ·
smartmansbimmer said:
When I had my PAX wheel next to my Acura 17" RL wheel, I couldn't believe the difference in weight.
It's the PAX tire that's heavy isn't? Is the actual wheel different than a regular wheel, too?

Anyone with weight measurements without the tires?

#20 ·
I'm sure he's refering to the wheel tire combo weight. Yes the PAX tire and inner ring is what causes all that extra weight. The actual rim itself weighs about the same. Unfortunatly, because of the odd size of the Touring's rim, you cannot get a regular tire to mount up to it.

#21 ·
sega626 said:
And the total price of this setup comes to......?
Of coure I don't need the TPMS, but would like to upgrade rims when the OEM tires wear out. That setup looks very nice!
You can look for a set of take off's, you can usually find them at your local dealer, just ask the part's department manager. They are usually looking to unload them cheap because they take up alot of space.
Stargazer said:
Looks good! I wonder how much more the 18" rims weigh?
Actually, the 18" wheel/tire combo is lighter than the original PAX combo. The PAX weighs about 75lbs each!

jcody07 said:
Looks very :cool: !

The turn signal side marker also looks very clean. What kind did you use and how easy or difficult was that to install?
Thanks!, The side markers are actually a generic brand you can find at any automotive parts store. I found these at PepBoys they are about $19 and install is very easy. It just involves a small hole for the light, and the wiring is just a simple two wire setup. Just tap into your front turn signal's wiring.

epi79 said:
hardcore!
very2 nice
why dont you get the rear and side bodykit too?

i was just thinking yesterday since you work at acura dealer
do you think MDX 07 mirror fit to odyssey ?I been wanting to have signal in my mirror
Side and rear bodykit are on order, staytuned!
MDX mirrors have a slightly different sized base. So some modification will be necessary, I'm sure it can be done!

PNWTouring said:
Sweet! Have you noticed any improvement in performance or handling from not having so much unsprung weight in the corners?
The off the line response is greatly improved! YES! the ride is much improved, less shaking and jarring over bumps. It just feels lighter. I'm waiting to see how much the gas mileage improves.

#22 ·
SellnACURA said:
Actually, the 18" wheel/tire combo is lighter than the original PAX combo. The PAX weighs about 75lbs each!
Thanks for the info. I'm in Canada so I don't have PAX tires on my Touring. I guess there may not be any weight savings at all over a 16" wheel unless I find something that's forged or light-weight cast.

Those sure look good, though!

#23 ·
This leads to the next question...will the larger Acura front brake rotors fit the Ody (I am not sure if they use the same caliper or whether that would need to be done also) - I have been looking at ways to improve the braking, especially when trailering.

#24 ·
Got Price?

I didn't see an answer posted to the ‘what did all this cost’ question. As an owner of a '06 Ody Touring and a '07 MDX Sport/Ent I appreciate that someone found a way to work around PAX and still maintain TPMS functions, bravo. Without giving any indication of price though implies it may be cheaper to stick with fresh PAX at about a grand. I don't find the PAX ride harsh or disconcerting and the spares proliferation is comforting. With 26K on our Ody in 20 months our PAX are about 3/4 gone. The fact that they’ll last about 75 percent as long compared to conventional tires is not great but no one should sue over it if they weren’t told of this in advance as I was.

Going this creative route (MDX rims, RDX tires) is an attractive option but I can't put a dollar figure on the peace of mind the opinion polarizing PAX tires offer. I respect the hatem' crowd if you respect the lovem' crowd.

The MDX Sport rims have the best finish I've seen. Their Titanium richness has a deep shine; pewter luster with polish is probably a good term. They're not high gloss yet have unique warmth. Best of all, these five-spokers are the easiest rims to keep clean ever! Would the ‘regular’ ’07 MDX 18” rims (ugly but cheaper) fit too?

The Ody Touring's turbine looking clear-coated PAX rims create the idea that with Honda more spokes are better but on the premium Acura brand less is better. This is a contradiction in design of vehicles that should show lineage with varying degrees of class. The Touring rims are also at the other end of the cleaning ease spectrum as the finlike spokes act as brake dust showcases.

Let's see the overall dollar figures of the MDX/RDX configuration so the PAX hatems' can see what they're up against. Then we can make an informed decision on this (warranty voiding) but smart looking mod. Anyone that does this should order the Acura SH-AWD badge. Super Handling All Wheel Drive on the MDX gives it exceptional cornering ability by varying the power front to rear and left and right rear, effectively accelerating an outside wheel around corners. Anyone who has driven one hard can attest it’s more than hype and can out corner most sports sedans. Implying an Ody has this incredible feature would certainly raise eyebrows from the well informed.

Last I checked, Acura parts weren't cheaper than Honda and my guess is total cost is around 3,500. ;)

Figure out a way to drop in the MDX throaty 300HP engine and I'm in at any price!

#25 ·
Re: Got Price?

Odypain said:

The Ody Touring's turbine looking clear-coated PAX rims create the idea that with Honda more spokes are better but on the premium Acura brand less is better.
More spokes imply luxury which is probably what Honda would like people to think about their top-of-the-line Odyssey.

Fewer spokes (specifically 5-spokes) imply sportiness, which Acura would like people to think about their SUVs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.