Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked but haven't seen anything does anyone know if you can turn off the ECO? I was hoping it would stop the chatter if it was disabled. thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I really don't think the VCM does a thing for increased gas mileage just causes me more grief than it's worth. Wish the EXL didn't come with it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
jackrabbit000 said:
I have been wondering the same thing. I really don't think the VCM does a thing for increased gas mileage just causes me more grief than it's worth. Wish the EXL didn't come with it.
It actually does a little bit. I had a p0420 which is a code for the cat converter, which causes the vcm to not operate till the code is cleared, dropped my mpg on the highway about 2-3mpg the other day. I was very surprised.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What is the chatter you hear? I don't hear anything when ECO lights up.

Nicolas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's actually more of a shutter throughout the vehicle when it hits 40-50 mph. I have seen many mentions of it on the forum but nobody seems to have found a fix. Just lots of mentioning of taking it to the dealer and the dealer says nothings wrong. Seems to be a problem with Ody's first come out with ECO.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That sounds a little like the transmission judder that gets all the software updates attention these days...

Did you get the recall notice for that?

Nicolas

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love my ECO mode. If you are getting the chatter/shudder that could be the active motor mount or a trans problem. Lots of info in the forums for that.

I ran the 65 mph speed limit on the way home from work (38.3 miles) last night. Must have been a tail wind because I stayed in ECO most of the way. Tickled 32.4 mpg until I got off the freeway. Check out the final mileage in the attached picture.

Rich

ordy73 said:
Looked but haven't seen anything does anyone know if you can turn off the ECO? I was hoping it would stop the chatter if it was disabled. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
the ECO mode is when ou are only using 3 cylenders instead of 6 its a gas milage saver.... why would you want to do that, and I dont think it is possible...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought our 2008 EX-L RES last December precisely because I thought we would get better mileage than our 99 Ody. As it turns out, the mileage is a lot worse. I am only getting just under 15 mpg around town.

·
Registered
513 Posts
blueblueody said:
I bought our 2008 EX-L RES last December precisely because I thought we would get better mileage than our 99 Ody. As it turns out, the mileage is a lot worse. I am only getting just under 15 mpg around town.
That's a common thing: we went from a 4 cylinders Subaru to our 07 EX-L and gas cost has increased a lot more than the EPA rating would suggest. There are probably a few hundreds discussions on how the EPA rating is gamed by manufacturers on the Web... :-/

BTW, if you want to compare real world numbers you can go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/: While the EPA numbers for 1999 and 2008 make the 08 look good, the real world numbers put the 1999 on top.

Nicolas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts