Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have an 08 Odyssey with 36k miles on it which I recently purchased. I was going through the super long thread on Transmission judder/shudder which talks about the TSB A09-053 which had an update to the software and then eventual Torque Converter failure which necessitated the TC to be replaced.

I am not sure if the software update has been updated on my vehicle. I checked the engine bay VIN and it does not have a center punch mark above the 3rd letter of the VIN. Also the carfax history of the car did not show any entry for "software update".

Per the TSB - it is applicable for all 2007 and 2008 Odysseys. So does it mean that I will run into this issue sooner or later?

AFter buying the Ody the first thing I did was to do a quick drain and refil of the ATF (using Honda DW-1). I guess there was no ATF refill done on this vehicle ever which was evident from the brown colored ATF. I plan to do a repeat ATF drain and refill after 200 mi or so.

I am not having any judder/shudder as described in the mentioned thread but I did have 1 incident where the whole vehicle was vibrating quite a bit at partial throttle and I had to accelerate to get rid of it. This was before the ATF refill and just happened once.

So again, my concern is that will I run into the TC issue sooner or later and any ideas on why has the software update not been done on this vehicle. I checked the Honda Owner link and for my VIN it does not show this TSB in the recall section. But thats maybe because this was not a recall

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just call your local dealer and ask them if its been done... FYI I had the software update done on mine and it made it worse. If yours is running fine I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hmm..since I don't want to get hammered for starting a new thread...related question:
My dealer when I went there for the master cylinder recall was pretty eager to do the judder recall, but I told them it was not a problem...yet. We then later got that letter from Honda saying the warranty had been extended on the transmission or torque converter (don't have it in front of me). I drive the van a lot but wife says, "yea, it sort of does that..." and yet I have not noticed it. I was a bit flabbergasted as she is the type who doesn't notice a low tire or other stuff but said she noticed that and I had not?
Its been months and I have not yet noticed it. We are still in this extended warranty period the letter provided. The dealer was very cooperative about doing warranty work, had not seen a dealer so good, but then again they are paid for it.

Question: Should I pretend I need the recall done so its done during the warranty when it hasn't been a problem?

I have done drain/fills with DW1 during some oil changes now fluid looks good, and don't have a heavy foot, maybe just wait and see what happens? Ij ust don't want to get stuck with the bill.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
...We then later got that letter from Honda saying the warranty had been extended on the transmission or torque converter (don't have it in front of me).
08's have an extended warranty on the trans? I don't recall ever getting notice of that.

I used to get erratic torque converter lock/unlocking during low RPM, lower speed, hilly situations, but changing out the factory ATF with Valvoline Maxlife ATF years ago eliminated that.

Some time after I did the first drain/fill of the trans I went to the dealer for power steering noise. They did the trans TSB along with replacing the PS fluid reservoir and suction hose.

Joel

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mine is 06, not 08 but I was stealing the thread...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts