Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched a ton of threads on door issues, but I don't see any with details on the cable itself being replaceable or not? Looks like you have to buy the whole motor assy just to fix a cut cable?

Pic attached shows the issue. Rollers are all fine, motor functions as it should.

We were leaving on a 2000 mile trip and I "hastily" pulled the door shut too hard and heard some funny noises. Long story short, went to the dealer on the way out of town and they got the door to close but looks like they cut the cable to do so.

I took the trim/tailight off and see both ends of the cable, but was really hoping to avoid a $250 motor for just a cable. Am I correct to assume there isn't one of those quick, simple internet Forum fixes that have saved so much headache in the past?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't upload a pic. Is this a noob thing? Never had a problem before. Will have to dig deeper I guess

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I can't upload a pic. Is this a noob thing? Never had a problem before. Will have to dig deeper I guess
Uploads are broken on the site for the time being. Last message from Administrator was that it was sent to their tech dept.

I believe I remember reading in the prior gen that the cable itself was not replaceable and whole motor assly needs to be replaced.

Could the dealer have just turned the power switch off and closed the door for ya? Perhaps you can open it up a bit more and check? Till we see the picture, the jury is out.

People host pix on imageshack and post the link to the actual picture on here as well if you can swing that one as uploads are broken right now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Thought I was losing my mind for a bit there on the pictures. :)

The cable is definitely cut. I took the door trim piece off and saw the "innard"s of the door roller mechanism. Was just hoping for some reason that you could take the motor out and just replace a cable. Sure doesn't sound like by all the searching I've done, but that's what these wonderful Internet Forums are for. Finding those little known "fixes" that cost $15 instead of $250. :)

Maybe I'll take the old motor apart and play with it while I wait for a new one to get here. Maybe between the old one, and junk yard parts to source another cable from, you could piece it back together? Who knows. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brian,

Did you end up finding a fix for the cable? I saw a post on here from someone in the last year or so that patched their cable or installed a new DIY cable, but provided no details. I'd be interested to hear if you had any luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't even touched it since I posted. Just been using it as a manual door but kind of sick of it. Spend that kind of money on a van with power sliding doors, then still have to heave the thing open. Just no time to play around with it with 5 kids running every direction. I'll let you know when I tear into it again. Thanks.

Brian

·
Registered
403 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts