Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased on 08 Touring and had it shipped (so no test drive till it got here). And when I engage the Park sensor button it gives me the 'CHECK PARKING SENSOR SYSTEM" message. Now I know they re painted the front and rear bumper, however, upon inspection the sensors (from the outside) look to be fine. I checked the fuses, and I unhooked the battery for an hour--which fixes alot of things--but not this?? It is certified, however, the Honda dealer here says if it has had body work they won't fix it under the certification????? Does anyone know how I can check to see if one is broke or not hooked up?? Thanks for ANY help!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring parking sensors. Display shows "Check Parking Sensor System" and lights up all 5 sensors. No exterior damage - just started issuing alarm message one day. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
How do you get the switches out? I'm not seeing that in the video

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
They have those tabs on the back side. The best way is to see if you can reach up in there. I think the book says to remove drivers switch panel but that requires removing the lower dash panel, then remove the steering hangar beam. Then push the tabs in to push the switch out. You just need to gain access to squeeze those tabs on the top and bottom.

What's interesting is that the manual describes how to change the bulbs but there is no mention that a burned out bulb will cause the system to fail. In fact, the wiring diagram indicates that it shouldn't matter since the indicator light has its own ground and is simply powered when the switch is pushed. The control unit could be no good...or even removed and the light would come on if you push the button. In other words, the light only indicates that you've pushed the button...not that the system is working. The only thing that would explain it is if the control unit can sense the fact that the bulb is not drawing current.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the same problem. Yes, I believe that the ECU interprets the bulb being burned out just like it does for other lamps in the vehicle. When I consulted the factory service manual on this error, it did indicate to do a continuity test on the indicator bulb. My theory on why it causes the "check parking sensor system" error on the dash is that Honda is trying to avoid being responsible for the driver not being aware of whether the system is on or off if the bulb is burned out. If there was no warning on the dash to check the system and the switch just operated as usual, the driver could think that his parking sensor system is on (knowing that the indicator bulb is burned out) and inadvertently hit an object because they thought they would get a warning first. I think Honda is just trying to ensure that they cover themselves so that you always have the indicator light showing whether the sensor system is on or off.

My bulb cost about $7 Canadian. It is well worth checking because out of all the times I've heard this warning going off, the vast majority are due to this little indicator bulb being burned out.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I had the same problem. Yes, I believe that the ECU interprets the bulb being burned out just like it does for other lamps in the vehicle. When I consulted the factory service manual on this error, it did indicate to do a continuity test on the indicator bulb. My theory on why it causes the "check parking sensor system" error on the dash is that Honda is trying to avoid being responsible for the driver not being aware of whether the system is on or off if the bulb is burned out. If there was no warning on the dash to check the system and the switch just operated as usual, the driver could think that his parking sensor system is on (knowing that the indicator bulb is burned out) and inadvertently hit an object because they thought they would get a warning first. I think Honda is just trying to ensure that they cover themselves so that you always have the indicator light showing whether the sensor system is on or off.

My bulb cost about $7 Canadian. It is well worth checking because out of all the times I've heard this warning going off, the vast majority are due to this little indicator bulb being burned out.
I looked in my FSM for any mention of checking the bulb for that warning indication and couldn't find it. There is a procedure for changing the bulb but I couldn't find anything about checking it for that error. I'll have to have another look.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's in my 2012 FSM. Not sure about the '08 Ody FSM.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I've looked again and there is nothing in my FSM about the bulb causing the system to fault.

One interesting thing about the system is that it says that if there is a failed sensor you'll get the "Check Parking Sensor System" message and the beeps but that the system will return to it's normal state. However, the failed sensor will continue to be displayed and the MID will show "Warning Approaching Object" even when there is no object nearby. So, that means if you get the "Check Parking Sensor System" message but no "Warning Approaching Object" message then theoretically you can assume your sensors are fine and it's something else other than the sensors.

While the 07-10 FSM gives no indication that the bulb could cause this problem it does say this in the switch testing/replacement section:

Check for continuity between the terminals in each switch position according to the table. If the continuity check is not as specified replace the illumination bulbs or the switch.

What's interesting is according to the wiring diagram the indicator light is not wired in series with the power to the control unit. I guess that makes sense because the system would just turn off if the light was wired in series. The control unit somehow knows when that bulb is burned out, though. It must know the voltage and current conditions that bulb adds based on comparing the two power inputs to the the Power supply Circuit Control Area Network Controller. One power input goes directly to the controller and the other feeds the switch and the light. Pretty fancy!

Bottom line, if you get this message just look at your switch and if the indicator light doesn't work you can assume that's the problem.

Screenshot 2016-09-23 09.05.51.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts