Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 EX-L with the XM activated. More frequently, my steering wheel radio controls will go haywire:

- Volume down turns up the volume
- Volume up makes the channel go up
- Channel down makes the channel go up
- Channel up makes the channel go down

The controls on the unit work fine when this happens.

I can find no way to fix it. It just starts working properly on its own again.

Any ideas? I'll have the dealer look at it with the next service/recall repair.

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Does the issue happen when the steering wheel is straight or when you turn the steering wheel?

Does the issue happen more frequently when the steering wheel position is set a certain way (tilt and telescopic)?

Some older model Hondas and Acuras had grounding issues with the steering shaft and steering column bearing.

I'd have the dealer check the wiring harness under the steering wheel to start.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Are you out of warrenty? Anyway Not sure how they do it on the 09 but the way the control works is: It is a resister bank feeding a variable voltage on one wire from the steering wheel control to the radio. Each button when pressed has a different resistance causing a different voltage in the line. The radio decodes the voltage and determines what to do. If you get a loose, coroded connection the functions will be decoded wrong. Anyway there is nothing you can do unless you want to tear into the steering column. If under warrenty take it in. They should have enough common sence to fix the problem even if it doesn't fail fot them as it has been going on since 99.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
My 04 has been fixed 3 x for this. What they do is only a temporary band-aid to get you out of warranty period

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have anymore information or a fix for this? My 2007 just started doing the same thing. Steering wheel column position never gets adjusted. Just started doing this a few days ago. I'm guessing I'm out of luck but do enjoy the controls and would like to fix it.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
The steering wheel has to come off...I had not intention of messing with that.....Mine quit working for the 4th time in 50K miles and that is when we traded it in. They mess with a copper ring that is in there and get it to make adequate contact again so that it appears fixed...but it is only temporary. It needed replaced......they waited long enough that I was out of my Honda Care coverage. Glad I will never have to deal with Honda Service Depts anymore.

Good luck....It is a pain in the anus problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I also have no intentions of paying several hundred for a temporary fix. That is only problem we've had with this thing, so I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. If I knew they replaced whatever the problem was, I'd consider. Not an adjustment though.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I am sure they will replace it if you want to pay for the parts.....Do you have a private Mechanic you trust? I am sure someone other than Honda would be much cheaper....But make shre they know WTF they are doing. Not that Honda does..lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts