Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ouch! I hope everything is ok with the wife once recovery is done. Looks like the Ody did it's job and kept her alive, that was a solid looking hit.

·
Registered
511 Posts
wow. i'm speechless just looking at the damage. I'm glad your wife is alive and you're right, it definitely could have been worse. Here's some mojo for your wife's speedy recovery.

~Mindoro

·
Registered
21 Posts
WOW. That is a big hit. I have an F 250 crew cab and a 2009 Odyssey. One of the main reasons we bought the Ody was the 5 Star crash safety rating.

I wish your wife a speed recovery and thank God she is still alive after a crash like that.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Prayers sent.

OF

·
Registered
389 Posts
Glad to hear your wife came out relatively ok considering the seriousness of the hit. Kudos to Honda safety. Are you gonna get another?

·
Registered
606 Posts
cars can be replaced

Wow, big hit, ditto on hoping she recovers rapidly! The Oddy is the least of your worries, it can be replaced obviously. I know things are not looking that good right now, but actually some luck in that the truck hit her behind the seat or the outcome looks like it would have been worse.

My wife also narrowly avoided a direct side impact to her body when her Prelude entered an intersection and was struck by a red light running semi, but it hit the front wheel area and her car spun and dissipated the impact force. If it had hit square...

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Hoping for a speedy recovery for your wife. I agree with others that this was a big hit. Glad the Oddy did its job protecting your wife as best as it could.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some better pictures today of both vehicles. My poor oddy never stood a chance. Somehow, by some miracle, the driver's seat was spared. Everything else, is just gone...

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Your signature for the 09 should read "KIA...Wife OK!"

Prayers sent, again.

OF

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's some scary damage; glad there was nobody in the drivers side second row.

Getting broadsided by a truck that size is going to total pretty much anything.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Wow, those pictures are gut wrenching. My thoughts and prayers to your wife for a quick recovery.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily we have new car replacement on our insurance, and I will be getting myself a 2010 Odyssey EX-L in Dark Cherry Metallic

I thought about the accident a little more and I realize now what happened exactly. She pulled out, the truck hit her, sent the van across the road about 30-40 feet, the van bounced off the guard rail, then back about 20-30 feet back into the road. I think my wife sustained all the injuries because of the multiple impacts she suffered. A witness said the van was actually airborn after it was hit.

I truly believe the only reason my wife is alive is because of the car she was in. Anything smaller or without side curtain airbags and she wouldn't be with us.

·
Registered
664 Posts
She was lucky to be alive after that. I think just about any minivan would have done that well. Glad she's likely to recover and I hope your new car never needs to be tested like your old one.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That second row seat gives me the creeps....glad nobody was sitting there when this happened. Looks like the 3rd row would have been a bad spot to be as well.....

I don't care what anybody says...bigger is better particularly in a side impact. She's certainly lucky to have been hit behind the driver door.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it turns out this "new car replacement" thing isn't as cut and dry as you would think. They will pay for my new car of the same type, BUT no one right now has a 2010 Odyssey EX-L with no RES/ NO NAV in stock. My dealer tells me that because of the Honda year end deals, the Odyssey is selling well and no one wants to give up their inventory without a fight. So now I am left with a big decision... Spend a little more for a 2010 with the NAV and/or RES, OR wait for the 2011 to come out.

Anyone know when the 2011 will be hitting the dealerships?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Use your insurance agcency to get the car. Tell them that you cannot find a replacement near by and ask them to locate one. You'll find that they will probably be very willing to help find one rather than wait and pay for a 2011. They'll save money doing it now with the discounts and they have more pull than you will.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Greg, that sounds like a good idea. I'd hate to have to settle for a different color, or even worse..... a Sienna.....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
thejon said:
Thanks Greg, that sounds like a good idea. I'd hate to have to settle for a different color, or even worse..... a Sienna.....
You can't go to a sienna, the ody gave it lifes to save your wifes so that means you have to replace it with another ody. Have you seen the pics of the new ody? You might just want to buy a 2010.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kscha41 said:
You can't go to a sienna, the ody gave it lifes to save your wifes so that means you have to replace it with another ody. Have you seen the pics of the new ody? You might just want to buy a 2010.
Yes I have seen the 2011, and it is terrible looking. I'm really hoping that somehow I can find a 2010 EX-L in Dark Cherry before they are all sold. If I can't, I may go toyota just because they look better and we can get 0% financing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts