Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I don't own an '11 Ody

Votes: 4 21.1%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody else notice this van recommends 0W-20 motor oil?

I usually stock up on the gallon jugs of 5W-20 when they're on sale because my '05 Odyssey and '05 Accord both take that weight. Guess I'll have to start buying TWO different viscosities. Not really a big deal. Just an observation.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC, 0W-20 is the oil that Honda uses in their Civic Hybrids. A Honda dealership saying they don't know what 0W-20 is, well... a little scary.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It doesn't really matter if you put 0w-20 in your 05 accord. 0w-20 just operates better in the cold weather. I might not be right on this but I remember seeing this info online at a cr-v forum.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on sticking with what the owner's manual states for both vehicles. 0W-20 for the Ody and 5W-20 for the Accord.

I also noticed, my '05 Ody required 5.5 quarts at oil/filter change. The '11 only requires 4.5 quarts. Awesome!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't have an '11, but I saw this, which may be helpful to some.

·
Registered
45 Posts
lots of chatter about this on the driveraccord.net forum as well as bobistheoilguy fourm. two reasons for the change to 0w-20. One is for CAFE and mpg gains and the other is for better cold starts. The 0w versus 5w only matters as the engine starts when it is cold. Once the engine is at operating temps, the 20 is what matters.

If you use Mobil 1 synthetic, they now carry the 0w-20 at walmart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts