Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our new GG EX-L this week. Brought my 100 point checklist with all known issues etc. Tracks straight, wheel centered, no clunks, shifts smooth, no window rattle. everything functional. Perfect paint and perfect panel gaps. No cracked spoiler. This is by far the best built vehicle I have ever had the pleasure to scrutinize. And I've inspected hundreds as a car show judge and family/neighborhood car guy consultant. Eventually, I did find a partially loose seatback handle screw (It's crossthreaded and won't budge yet).

Now here's the BEEF. Those conflabin' interior lights turn off way too soon (3 min). This will suck for camping etc. And then the activated lights stay on until the battery is dead. So now whenever I want lights on or off I'm forced to use the master rockerswitch on the dash. My old Intrepid had a master timer for any interior or trunk light and turned them off in about an hour. That was nice. I hope when honda fixes this, that the parts will retrofit into my van

That goofy shift lever doesn't bother me, but the wimpy detents do. It always shoots from park to D3 or lower passing up D. when you shift it back up it passes D again and you are in N. Honda better work on this if they want to avoid being the "unintended accelleration Audi" of the new millenium.

Final beef is the front seatbelt female buckles (in the center). When you are just hanging out in the van (not wearing belt and sitting sideways) that buckle jams into your buttockular area. why can't it just rotate down a little further. I fixed it a little bit by just bending it down by standing on it.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the functionality of this van. But I AM still trying to fit it in my garage.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken W:
Now here's the BEEF. Those conflabin' interior lights turn off way too soon (3 min). This will suck for camping etc. And then the activated lights stay on until the battery is dead. So now whenever I want lights on or off I'm forced to use the master rockerswitch on the dash. My old Intrepid had a master timer for any interior or trunk light and turned them off in about an hour. That was nice. I hope when honda fixes this, that the parts will retrofit into my van

That goofy shift lever doesn't bother me, but the wimpy detents do. It always shoots from park to D3 or lower passing up D. when you shift it back up it passes D again and you are in N. Honda better work on this if they want to avoid being the "unintended accelleration Audi" of the new millenium.
</font>
Ken,
I have to agree with you on the lights. There is a thread on the site that discusses this. http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000142.html

Regarding the shifter, I also had a problem finding "D". The key is to pull the shifter towards you and down at the same time. As long as you do this it will not shoot pass "D" in to "D3". Check out this thread for a discussion. http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000431.html

I hope this helps,
Steve

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah, the lights are an annoyance all right! A couple of others on my list:
1. The "head-bashing" rear door for anyone over 6 ft. tall (when open).
2. Poor location for the power outlet up front on the floor.
3. Rattling center tray on those bumpy So. Cal. freeways
All in all, still very happy with Ody after 7,500 miles in 4 months! Very well thought out for the most part, IMO.

------------------
'02 RP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also wish I could walk under the open rear hatch without bumping my head, but then I'd never be able to open the hatch in my garage (with the garage door open). I think Honda did right by not allowing it to open further.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by herschelgoodnight:
Ken,

Where can I find your "100 point checklist with all known issues etc."?
</font>
The checklist is under the "Links" section (in the top menu of this forum). Just scroll down about half way. It is referred to as the "Odyssey Pre-Delivery Chrecklist."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rattling center tray on those bumpy So. Cal. freeways

Ody et al,

See Chuck's excellent center tray rattle fix in the Tech Section.

Michael
Friday Harbor

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think the hatch should go up any higher either. If it did, it would be one majorly dented part of the vehicle in my garage. If it went up any higher it would hit the lock on my garage door - when the door is open. Thank you Honda for not raising it any higher! By the way....my husband is over 6 feet tall and has gotten used to ducking in just a couple of weeks!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Certek:

Regarding the shifter, I also had a problem finding "D". The key is to pull the shifter towards you and down at the same time. As long as you do this it will not shoot pass "D" in to "D3". Check out this thread for a discussion. http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000431.html
</font>
I have been annoyed by this easy drop down into D3 also. I don't believe that keeping the lever pulled towards the driver is an acceptable option. Let me explain...

When shifting from P to D, I agree that one has to pull the shift lever towards the driver to release from P; it is easy to hold it there on the way to D. However, more than half of the times I am not shifting from P to D, but from R to D. I'm usually backing up first. To release from R, one does not have to pull the shift lever. If I put my hand on the shift lever and push down, it is easy to go straight into D3. This is a design limitation. It should not be so easy to go into D3 from R. Same in going back up to N. I agree with Ken W on this.

Bryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts