Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever actually gotten into 10th gear?
I spent 3 hours driving with CC set to 85 downhill, and i even i tried to paddle shift to force it. it still would just flash 10 to taunt me and sets back at 9
Its a dumb annoyance and luckily about the only annoyance we have with our van, none of the other big issues

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
811 Posts
Lol. You may be actuality the first person to actually purposely try that.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,513 Posts
Darkhonda, is it possible that Honda created that 10th gear only for the few morons who want to try taking a family "station wagon" close to the red line of the engine? Now, you're talking more than 250 kph (150 mph). If true, that makes you out to be a very smart person :)!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Salesman told me you had to be going 70 for it to go into 10th gear but looks like you had that covered.

Challenge accepted.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm pretty sure 10 speed is not that easy to hit, 10 speed designed to shorten previous 9 speeds or whatever, and I hate it btw, too many shifts before you even hit 20 mph... especially when car is cold....

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 2018 EX-L with 9 speed doesn't shift into 9th gear until about 110 km/h (60mph).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think you had to be in the right situation for the load to be appropriate for the 10th gear. It’s very hard on the engine to be in 6th gear while going 25mph for example.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Try slowing down, if you need more power to maintain the speed the engine will shift down to make it.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,513 Posts
I was told by my service manager that ECON mode only works in town. At highway speeds, it kicks out. I have no idea what the threshold speed is.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Try slowing down, if you need more power to maintain the speed the engine will shift down to make it.
Exactly. The 10th gear is engaged only in a fairly narrow speed range, it will drop down to 9th at higher speed as it needs more power. When I cruise just above 70 mph the transmission stays in 10th gear at ~1600 rpm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I spent 3 hours driving with CC set to 85 downhill, and i even i tried to paddle shift to force it. it still would just flash 10 to taunt me and sets back at 9
Its a dumb annoyance and luckily about the only annoyance we have with our van, none of the other big issues
Same here. I figure it's a gear designed for efficiency only. We're lugging the engine trying to plow air with a big box at 85. Engine can't produce enough torque at 2000 RPM ± I get tenth all the time at 65+. Has anyone looked at that 10th sp gear ratio?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Same here. I figure it's a gear designed for efficiency only. We're lugging the engine trying to plow air with a big box at 85. Engine can't produce enough torque at 2000 RPM ± I get tenth all the time at 65+. Has anyone looked at that 10th sp gear ratio?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Final Reduction Ratio X Gear Ratio = how many engine RPMs it takes to rotate the drive wheels once. 9th gear in the 9-speed transmission requires 2.0784 RPMs per wheel rotation. 9th gear in the 10-speed transmission requires 2.0974 RPMs per wheel rotation. 10th gear in the 10-speed transmission requires only 1.86637 RPMs per wheel rotation. Since the engine has the same power in both the Touring/Elite and LX/EX-L, 10th gear gets used only when the conditions (rate of climb, wind, road surface) create less resistance. There is also a speed at which either Ody transmission will not shift into 9th or 8th or 7th, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Y’all know how gears work?

The pic above is perfect: if you’re going 75mph and its only at 1.8k rpm... let’s say that was 9th gear; you’re in the correct gear for the power needed and speed.

For more power for the van to accelerate, or maintain speed on a hill, the system would downshift to raise rpm to generate more torque to pull the load. if less power were needed, it would upshift.

if it’s not accessing 10th gear when you’re at max speed and let off the accelerator, there’s something very wrong. At the other end of the scale, you‘re driving up a hill at 80mph and it won’t shift to 10th at all. Somewhere in between (maybe 70mph on a downhill slope) is where you will find 10th gear - a formula for high speed level-ground cruising, but not power/acceleration.

Reactions: serega12

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, repeatedly!
Your mileage jumps from mid-20s into high-20s MPG when you can cruise in 10th gear (RPMS stay below 1,800).
I've even encountered low 30's MPG.

Depending on how strong front-facing winds are, and how level the road grade is, the max speed I've been able to maintain in 10th gear vary between 79-83 MPH.
83 MPH is the max, with tail winds and going level or slightly downhill.

anything under 80 and RPM are too low for 10th for sure.
That is INCORRECT.
You can cruise in 10th down to high 60's MPH, all else being equal (winds, road grade, throttle pressure, etc).

I was told by my service manager that ECON mode only works in town. At highway speeds, it kicks out. I have no idea what the threshold speed is.
That is INCORRECT as well.
ECON definitely works at highway speeds.

HTH,
a

1 - 20 of 33 Posts