Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Odyssey Touring
At 50700 kms or 31687 miles I need a new transmission!!!! Anyone else having similar problems?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
810 Posts
2018 Odyssey Touring
At 50700 kms or 31687 miles I need a new transmission!!!! Anyone else having similar problems?
Are they replacing it under power train warranty? Most people have issues with 9 speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is covered but the aggravation factor is not. I bought an extended warranty through Honda that gives me five days of car rental. The first dealer I went to said that they could appeal to Honda but the dealership itself would not commit to providing a courtesy car if the transmission didn't arrive on a timely basis or it was back ordered. I told them that if they wanted the warranty work I needed a car. Bad business decision on their part because they have lost my business for good. I am having it towed to another dealership tomorrow who have committed to putting me in a vehicle for as long as they need my van after they do their own diagnosis and agree it needs a new transmission.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes it is covered but the aggravation factor is not. I bought an extended warranty through Honda that gives me five days of car rental. The first dealer I went to said that they could appeal to Honda but the dealership itself would not commit to providing a courtesy car if the transmission didn't arrive on a timely basis or it was back ordered. I told them that if they wanted the warranty work I needed a car. Bad business decision on their part because they have lost my business for good. I am having it towed to another dealership tomorrow who have committed to putting me in a vehicle for as long as they need my van after they do their own diagnosis and agree it needs a new transmission.
Thats horsh*t if the repair is needed during the original warranty period, you get a car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree but I was dealing with their service manager. Like I said, stupid decision on their part. I am guessing that they don't pay for the new transmission but they certainly get paid for the installation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to devote any more time to this. Sure, I could call corporate and be told that they would open a case file -- don't like BS!

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's why I said call corporate. The dealership will give you hell about these things. Might get better results by going straight to the top.
Except he didn’t mention the rental car in the first post. Just his frustration that,it had to be done! 😬

·
Registered
752 Posts
Could be wrong. But I think I heard "some where", Dealers do not like doing warranty work, because they get "paid",
at a lower rate? Any Mechanic's out there? Who can clarify this. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, you are correct. I mentioned it in my second post. In any case I appreciate your time and input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite and the transmission went out this past July. I had a shifting issue in April but that was a 3 day fix. The Honda dealer replaced my transmission under warranty no problem but they only have 4 loaner cars and only gave me a loaner for 2 weeks. The fix took almost a month even though they said 20 days. Now I realized the power sliding doors are scraping the paint off so I have to take it back again. I have had no more transmission issues though after the replacement transmission.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,508 Posts
Just curious, 18Od. Do you have a copy of the extended warranty? If so, wouldn't the matter of a free rental car be covered in the wording? If the free rental car is covered or mentioned, they have no choice but to cough up a car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Should your vehicle experience a covered Mechanical Breakdown that requires more than five hours of repair time,or due to non-availability of parts from Honda Canada, you will be reimbursed $45 per day, up to a maximum of five days towards the cost of a rental".
In my case the first dealer I went to kept my car for a full day called me to pick it up and said everything was okay. Driving off the lot it was exactly the same as when I brought it in. Delivered it back the next morning and after many phone calls I was told it needed a new transmission and that I should consider using those five days when the new transmission arrived. It could be two days, five days or a month or more depending on it's availability and where it was coming from. Bottom line is that I was without a vehicle for the two days they needed to figure out it needed a new transmission, they had no idea when a new one would arrive and if like Mary they kept my van for a month to fix it I could now be looking at one, two or more months without a car but as compensation I would be reimbursed $45/day to a maximum of five days. The icing on the cake was that the dealer was worried that if they ordered a new transmission and I then decided not to let them do the work, they would have to pay a 6% restocking fee to Honda!!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like you made the right decision and went to a dealer who goes above and beyond for the customer. The first dealership didn't do anything wrong as they were following the guidance of the extended policy, but lost a customer for only doing the minimum. Mind you, Honda is not required to give you a loaner for any warranty work if you do not have an extended warranty...even if the vehicle was bought yesterday and only has 10 miles on it. When you buy the vehicle, you agree to that contract. Usually dealers will have a few vehicles dedicated as service loaners but are not required to.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,508 Posts
Sounds like you made the right decision and went to a dealer who goes above and beyond for the customer. The first dealership didn't do anything wrong as they were following the guidance of the extended policy, but lost a customer for only doing the minimum. Mind you, Honda is not required to give you a loaner for any warranty work if you do not have an extended warranty...even if the vehicle was bought yesterday and only has 10 miles on it. When you buy the vehicle, you agree to that contract. Usually dealers will have a few vehicles dedicated as service loaners but are not required to.
Fully agreed. What's sad is the inconsistent attitude among dealers. Some will go to the horizon for you while others require that you contribute to the their favorite charity entitled, "Honda dealers without yachts!" The only consistency is that dealer service will vary :D!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, shit happens, but I think that Honda should be aghast to have such information about their vehicles and/or their dealers in the public domain - but that is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts