Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,120 Posts
Does anyone with the 10 speed transmission touring/elite trims notice that you can feel the downshifting at slow speeds? I can really notice the 2nd to 1st gear downshift almost feels like a manual sometimes.
Is this your first Ody or Honda? Compared to other makes Honda tends to have more noticeable downshifts. Not saying there is no issue, but it was one of the first things I noticed in our first Ody. So used to it now I never even notice it.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
You might try swapping the fluid out. The OEM Honda fluid isn't the best - I did this on my 2011 6 speed with Amsoil synth fluid and it made a very noticeable difference

· Registered
246 Posts
I have the same problem on an Elite 10-speed - shift between 1st and 2nd at low speed has a 10% chance of making the van feel like its completely out of any gear...in effect, it stumbles or hesitates so badly it feels like you're idling in no gear. Pressing the gas pedal doesn't help; the trans will eventually shift and you're good to go. Rather disconcerting situation - not to mention a SAFETY ISSUE when you're making a left turn from a stop in the face of oncoming traffic and other situations. Dealer - of course - found no error codes and never heard of the issue. Whatta surprise.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this your first Ody or Honda? Compared to other makes Honda tends to have more noticeable downshifts. Not saying there is no issue, but it was one of the first things I noticed in our first Ody. So used to it now I never even notice it.
I've owned 4 other hondas 3 of them where manual though so you can't compare. But since you mention that Honda's seems to have a more noticeable downshifting my 2012 mdx that I traded in for my odyssey, did this bump everytime you came to a stop. It was so annoying but I just got use to it. The issue with the rough downshifting on my oddy is internment so I highly doubt the dealer will be able to duplicate. Would have thought that after all these years honda would able to be able to make a smooth transmission.

· Registered
388 Posts
Notice it too.

I notice it when not coming to a complete stop from Reverse, and I mean no rolling at all, and then pushing the Drive button too quickly after the stop.

It's almost like brake assist is on....

Once the van comes to a complete stop, then the gears seems to engage properly.

Weird.

Does anyone with the 10 speed transmission touring/elite trims notice that you can feel the downshifting at slow speeds? I can really notice the 2nd to 1st gear downshift almost feels like a manual sometimes.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm at 29,500 miles with my 2018 Oddy Touring. The 10-speed seems to be getting more temperamental with time. There's uneven power delivery (surging and light bucking) observed while gently accelerating from 0 up to about 29 mph. Normal, per dealer. There's also aggressive engine braking (unnecessary downshift) when coasting toward a stop, mainly travelling at relaxed neighborhood speeds. If driven aggressively, power delivery is smooth and shifts are on point. But I drive GENTLY, and the 10 speed/throttle performance is wonky. Normal, per dealer.

· Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
649 Posts
Just test drove a 2018 Ody and it had some rough downshifts coming off of the freeway. Odd for sure..

It is true..the stock Honda ATF isn't that good. That's the first thing that I will replace with Amsoil ATF when picking up my Ody here in a few days...

Reactions: Boris22Ody

· Registered
10 Posts
Bought brand new 2022 Honda Odyssey EXL, currently 3k miles on it. This is my first Honda product, after having Toyotas for a long time. Noticed from a 1st day kind of braking (rough) downshifting around 20-30 mph. It's not to bad, but it's noticeable, did not had that feeling on my previous Toyota Highlander. Odyssey is brand new, hopping it will get smother after break in period up to 5-10k miles. At the same time knowing Honda had transmission problems before it makes me very nervous, + VCM problems and Carbon Buildup with Direct Injection, did I made a good choice switching to Honda?

· Registered
3,120 Posts
Bought brand new 2022 Honda Odyssey EXL, currently 3k miles on it. This is my first Honda product, after having Toyotas for a long time. Noticed from a 1st day kind of braking (rough) downshifting around 20-30 mph. It's not to bad, but it's noticeable, did not had that feeling on my previous Toyota Highlander. Odyssey is brand new, hopping it will get smother after break in period up to 5-10k miles. At the same time knowing Honda had transmission problems before it makes me very nervous, + VCM problems and Carbon Buildup with Direct Injection, did I made a good choice switching to Honda?
Pronounced downshifts have been a Honda trait for a long time. They used to call it Grade Logic and it was designed to reduce the amount of braking needed when descending hills or approaching a stop.

Reactions: Boris22Ody

· Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for clarification, that's explains the downshifting. I theory it's great, I hope it is not putting extra stress on transmission and torque converter on this downshifting events.
Pronounced downshifts have been a Honda trait for a long time. They used to call it Grade Logic and it was designed to reduce the amount of braking needed when descending hills or approaching a stop.

· Registered
3,120 Posts
Thank you for clarification, that's explains the downshifting. I theory it's great, I hope it is not putting extra stress on transmission and torque converter on this downshifting events.
My ‘07 is at 260K and still shifts the same as it did new. The 10 speed hasn’t been problematic in the grand scheme. Individual issues sure, but overall low failure rate. What you’re describing wouldn’t alarm me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts