Honda Odyssey Forum banner

10 Speed Transmission Surging

3877 12
I have a 2018 Touring Elite with 25,000 miles and the 10-speed transmission. Recently, it is surging at the beginning of the first drive of the day for about the first 5 minutes at low speeds. I can watch the RPM pulse from around 1500 to 2000 when it is happening and I would say it's around 2-3 gear. No fluid changes have shown up for the transmission maintenance minder and I haven't gotten any related warnings. On my 2018 Ridgeline with the 6-speed transmission I had a similar issue and it was burnt transmission fluid from a software error that basically let the transmission fluid overheat under some conditions. Although the behavior is similar here, I don't want to assume the same cause. Reading other threads I see I cannot check the fluid to see what it looks like, so I guess I'm going into the dealer but wanted to see if anyone had any similar experience or advice. Also looking underneath the car there is a small amount of seepage in front of the transmission drain bolt where the transmission case comes together, but there has never been any that collected in the pan/brush guard below there or dripped in the driveway, so I don't think that's losing very much, but who knows. Pictures attached.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
I would think the factory warranty should apply to this low level weeping leak. I haven't checked it myself but I am sure there should be a transmission dipstick somewhere you can check. That drain bolt may not be torqued to the correct spec.

From post experiences with transmissions in Honda V6. I normally have the fluid changed yearly and do not follow the recommended longer interval. I would say check yourself first in case the fluid is too low and burnt as a byproduct of not enough fluid but then go to dealer to have them check. Automatic transmissions have become way more complex and I bet way more expensive to repair as a result. Just my opinion. Good luck and keep us updated.

· Registered
272 Posts
What’s worst is the process to go through and change the fluid. You need scan tools that can read the exact temperature of the fluid and such due to very high volume expansion rate of the new transmission fluids. A few degrees change can result in a large volumn of fluid expansion, hence the removal of the dipstick because the readings would fluctuate greatly depending on the temp of the fluid.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Touring Elite with 25,000 miles and the 10-speed transmission. Recently, it is surging at the beginning of the first drive of the day for about the first 5 minutes at low speeds. I can watch the RPM pulse from around 1500 to 2000 when it is happening and I would say it's around 2-3 gear. No fluid changes have shown up for the transmission maintenance minder and I haven't gotten any related warnings. On my 2018 Ridgeline with the 6-speed transmission I had a similar issue and it was burnt transmission fluid from a software error that basically let the transmission fluid overheat under some conditions. Although the behavior is similar here, I don't want to assume the same cause. Reading other threads I see I cannot check the fluid to see what it looks like, so I guess I'm going into the dealer but wanted to see if anyone had any similar experience or advice. Also looking underneath the car there is a small amount of seepage in front of the transmission drain bolt where the transmission case comes together, but there has never been any that collected in the pan/brush guard below there or dripped in the driveway, so I don't think that's losing very much, but who knows. Pictures attached.

View attachment 152153
View attachment 152154 View attachment 152155
Did you take your van in? What did they say? I have noticed pulsing of the transmission at low RPM after starting. You can watch the tachometer tick ever so slightly, and you can kind of feel it also. Mine happens in first gear i think. I mostly notice it when I am stopped or backing out of garage. I have a 2019 Elite.

· Registered
2018 EX
2,515 Posts
If you're seeing even a small amount of fluid on the bottom as shown in your pic, that's definitely a warranty issue. I believe surging RPMs can be an indication of low fluid. It wouldn't surprise me that with even a small quantitiy of fluid missing, you could have problems with slippage because they build things to such tight tolerances these days.

Also, isn't it possible for air to be sucked into that leaky area when the van is running? If so, that can't be doing the situation any good either. The fluid would foam, which reduces viscosity.

· Registered
2019 Elite
608 Posts
There is no dipstick in these transmissions, you measure the level in the transmission by keeping the van level and filling the transmission with fluid, till the fluid runs out of the hole.

@masonboswell : What was the prognosis on this? As far as your G2 Ridgeline, hope you had some answers on ROC.

· Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
649 Posts
Hey guys, first post here ... I'm in the market for a 2018-2020 Odyssey and was researching about the transmission issues with the 10 speeds...

I just test drove a 2018 and noticed that it jerked a little on down shifts... I'm really curious now if there are any evidences of leaks from the case or plug area.

Time to get it on the lift and check... it's either this used 18 or a new 20 ...

· Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Hey guys, first post here ... I'm in the market for a 2018-2020 Odyssey and was researching about the transmission issues with the 10 speeds...

I just test drove a 2018 and noticed that it jerked a little on down shifts... I'm really curious now if there are any evidences of leaks from the case or plug area.

Time to get it on the lift and check... it's either this used 18 or a new 20 ...
I have not seen a drop of transmission fluid out of my Elite or any wet looking areas on the transmission. It is a 2018 with roughly 24k on it.

· Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
649 Posts
I have not seen a drop of transmission fluid out of my Elite or any wet looking areas on the transmission. It is a 2018 with roughly 24k on it.
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Are you in a hot climate by any chance? I've been researching the transmission issues on the 18-20 Ody's and a common factor seems to be with those in hotter climates are experiencing more issues... which makes sense with the heat.

One issue with the push button gear shifts on the Ody that worries me is it going into P when driving and grinding up the gears. That's frightening. Even though it doesn't cause harm to the driver and passengers, the damage done to the gears is permanent. Hmmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.