Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have an 06 EX-L R&N with 103k and the transmission shifts a bit weird now. I have drained and refilled twice, first at 45k then at 85k. I read about the pressure switches on these things acting up and mine cause a hard shift from time to time. So my question is whether or not to get a flush so the residual fluid in Torque Converter is changed AND should I just go ahead and change out pressure switches or any other parts for that matter? Maybe a BG Products Trans Flush? Any and all HELP appreciated. Charles

·
Registered
193 Posts
Describe "shifts a bit weird"? It sounds like you are used to the van and this is a change. Is it at certain gears, 1-2, 2-3, ect..?

The first step is to be absolutely sure you have a correct fluid level. Trans up to temp, level surface, and engine off (different than my ATs). Check level and condition.

With the drain and fills at 45k and 85k I doubt you have a fluid problem. At this point the fluid in the TC is the same as everywhere else. Another drain and fill with the new DW1 couldn't hurt. Cooler line fluid exchanges are my preference and pretty easy to do on the Ody.

I would avoid anything involving a chemical flush or any fluid other than ATF in the transmission.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Describe "shifts a bit weird"? It sounds like you are used to the van and this is a change. Is it at certain gears, 1-2, 2-3, ect..?

The first step is to be absolutely sure you have a correct fluid level. Trans up to temp, level surface, and engine off (different than my ATs). Check level and condition.

With the drain and fills at 45k and 85k I doubt you have a fluid problem. At this point the fluid in the TC is the same as everywhere else. Another drain and fill with the new DW1 couldn't hurt. Cooler line fluid exchanges are my preference and pretty easy to do on the Ody.

I would avoid anything involving a chemical flush or any fluid other than ATF in the transmission.
The shifts weird thing is the transmission's tendency to shift harder in some gears than others 1-2 and 3-4, but not all of the time. Most prevalent when we accelerate hard. Also the DW-1 is the new fluid, but is it really better? Another fluid change is on the to-do list. They are pretty expensive to do often and I do have a cooler installed. I have heard of some issues with the pressure switches and just figured I would change them all out since it seems like they are what might cause the hard shifts, if that is what the problem might be?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The shifts weird thing is the transmission's tendency to shift harder in some gears than others 1-2 and 3-4, but not all of the time. Most prevalent when we accelerate hard. Also the DW-1 is the new fluid, but is it really better? Another fluid change is on the to-do list. They are pretty expensive to do often and I do have a cooler installed. I have heard of some issues with the pressure switches and just figured I would change them all out since it seems like they are what might cause the hard shifts, if that is what the problem might be?
Try 3.2 qts est. of this,,, yes you can mix it,,

AMSOIL - Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree Amsoil is great, but I think it is more a pressure switch issue. Has anypne used the amsoil trans fluid? I also revert back to original post for advice. Thx

·
Registered
186 Posts
:D
I agree Amsoil is great, but I think it is more a pressure switch issue. Has anypne used the amsoil trans fluid? I also revert back to original post for advice. Thx
The pressure switch is a DIY easiy replacement,, just replace it,, I have used this trans fluid in all my (4) honda products. :D

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I think you are referring to the solenoids. Most folks have just removed them and cleaned the screens. Replacing them is probably overkill. Cleaning the screens is definitely good, but the real problem is the debris that clogged the screens in the first place. This is often worn clutch pack material floating in the ATF.

You should first install a Magnefine filter so this debris doesn't cause any more problems, like clogging the solenoid screens. After that, cleaning the screens is DIY.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are referring to the solenoids. Most folks have just removed them and cleaned the screens. Replacing them is probably overkill. Cleaning the screens is definitely good, but the real problem is the debris that clogged the screens in the first place. This is often worn clutch pack material floating in the ATF.

You should first install a Magnefine filter so this debris doesn't cause any more problems, like clogging the solenoid screens. After that, cleaning the screens is DIY.
Thanks Dave!!! I did not know they could be cleaned. Is there a thread that has info about this and the magnafine filter install??? Thx again

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks!! filter will be installed, but what about the cleaning the trans gear solenoids/switches?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts