Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It never gets cold and it never snows, I don't know what a cold start is. My main problem might be sand from the beach and a sun tan. Considering the above and 40 minute traffic jam twice a day I think 10W-40 keeps the viscosity high and the gas mileage acceptable and SPF 45 will do the job.

------------------
01SSLXPR
Mud Guards-Kenwood Speakers-Cargo Tray-VTEC Emblem

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Be advised that 10W-40 may also void your warranty, as it will on most of today's cars. The excessive viscosity enhancers needed to give the wide range of viscosity tend to gum up engines, reducing life. If you are concerned about viscosity at high temperatures, a synthetic 5W-30 would be a better choice and will not void your warranty. The synthetic base stock does not require the same enhancers to keep the oil stable over a wide range of temperatures, and it will also pump better during starts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't use 10-40... period. If you want to avoid the polymers that gunk the engine up, use Mobil (it doesn't use them in the synthetic). 10W-30 would be better suited for your climate... 5W-30 is for the "average" driver in the "average" climate. It is not intended to be the only oil used in new cars. One size does not fit all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This forum has proven one more time to be the best tool available for all the ODY owners. Thank you all for saving my warranty and my engine !

------------------
01SSLXPR
Mud Guards-Kenwood Speakers-Cargo Tray-VTEC Emblem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts