Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, new around here...

Help me decide! Honestly, im leaning more towards the Odyssey, but the wife likes the looks of the Quest better. They are willing to cut us a little better deal on the Honda.

Thoughts....anyone else checked out the new Quest yet and compared?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sat in the Quest, went to close the door and thought the panel was going to separate from the metal of the door, cheap as hell; strike one. Climbed into the 3rd row and felt like I was sitting on a park bench; strike two. Saw the same 10yr+ old 3.5l VQ had worse mileage and power than all others on the market, strike three.

Read some reviews in the comparison section here, it's clear the Nissan is barely better than the Chrysler and even then it struggles to compete. Nissan clearly threw this thing together fast to have something on the re surging mini-van market that Honda and Toyota are dominating.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
I sat in the Quest, went to close the door and thought the panel was going to separate from the metal of the door, cheap as hell; strike one.
Hmmm. Cntrlwnd here has pix and a large comparison thread and didn't mention this.

As to your comment about the 10+ year old VQ. Well. To each their own. I adore the VQ but then I haven't used a VQ based mini van so no comments but I would NOT discount that VQ just because its 10+ years old. The VQ if I am not mistaken is actually 17 years old. The Maxima came out with the VQ in the 1995 model year but I am not sure if Infiniti had it before 1995.

·
Registered
58 Posts
First off, didn't realize I was IN the comparison forum when I suggested visiting it!

I agree on the VQ, it's fantastic in a sedan etc. I was assuming the 3.5l that came around for 02 Maxima's as my 10yr guess. I know the 3.0 has been around for a while as well. All in all it's one of the best engine designs ever, still delivering amazing things in the Infinity line etc. To use it in a huge vehicle with no real tech advantages over the competition is what I'm criticizing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys....yea i thought the same thing Chase. Odyssey was roomier and the quality of the interior was better made.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
First off, didn't realize I was IN the comparison forum when I suggested visiting it!
Actually, I had moved the thread as this is the right place for it any way. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
As far as the 3rd row seat goes, it might not have as much legroom, but have you sat in the 3rd row of either the new Ody or Sienna? The Quest might not have as much legroom, but the Sienna and Ody both have major problems with their 3rd rows too. The Ody's comes from the arching roof line that makes the outboard seats feel very enclosed. The side windows are also very small. This is mainly because of the higher beltline and rounded off roof pillars.The sloping tailgate also doesn't help. The Sienna on the other hand has a very low ceiling. I walk around the interior of my Ody a lot and never really hit my head. My hair rubbed against the Sienna's roof several times in a few minutes. This was in an LE, which did not have a rear sunroof. The ceiling gets dropped another few inches when you add that option, and it comes standard on many of the higher end models. With that sunroof added, I can barely sit in the third row seat and run a finger between my hair and the roof. Also, the Sienna has problems with the side windows too. The problems here come from the door tracks that everybody keeps talking about. If you look inside the Quest, 3rd gen Ody, and even the 4th gen Ody, the 3rd row window's lower edge is about in line with the 2nd row. In the Sienna however, it sits a few inches higher than the 2nd row in order to accommodate those tracks that everyone is so happy to have incorporated into the beltline. This fact can be further supported by the window line in the Town & Country that also has the same issue. I don't like the way the 4th gen Ody's door tracks look, but I don't mind the 3rd gen's or really even the Quest's, but when given the option, I would pick 3rd row outward visibility over a door track built into the window line. This is also probably why the Sienna can't have the chrome lined windows. Those higher window's also make a frightening (at least for me) blind spot when changing lanes. Personally, I would ride in the back of the Quest before the Sienna or (new) Ody, simply because it isn't nearly as claustrophobic as the other two. I'm not saying the Quest has a superior 3rd row, but I can't really give Honda or Toyota all that much, if any, more credit on theirs.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Question, What are your wife's/your needs?

Are the looks and engine your only priority? What about requirements for space, car seats for the kids (if any), safety, entertainment? That can make a big difference, not all people haulers are created equal, even if they look somehow alike :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after debating some and thinking hard, the wife and I decided to buy and Ody last night.
Havent really had the chance to drive and play with the car much yet, but i love it so far.
My Wife liked the looks of the Quest the most. We never even looked at the Sienna because she
didnt like the looks of it, but says the Ody is growing on her. You can see what her priorities are. LOL
Ultimately we made the decision to go with the Ody because of quality, resale value and overall more roominess.
Pretty much the only ones who will sit in the 3rd row will be kids and for them it will be more than enough.
Also, i took the 2nd row middle seat out because we prefer the more "open" feel in the cabin.
We bought a Black EX-L model.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Congrats & enjoy your new car. I like the center isle too, do the one armrested captains chairs bother you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats & enjoy your new car. I like the center isle too, do the one armrested captains chairs bother you?
heh, i guess i never really realized it until now. Ill rarely sit back there..so no. :DD

I noticed even the 1st row center console can be removed as well. Creating a walkway that runs from the front to back. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmmm. Cntrlwnd here has pix and a large comparison thread and didn't mention this.

As to your comment about the 10+ year old VQ. Well. To each their own. I adore the VQ but then I haven't used a VQ based mini van so no comments but I would NOT discount that VQ just because its 10+ years old. The VQ if I am not mistaken is actually 17 years old. The Maxima came out with the VQ in the 1995 model year but I am not sure if Infiniti had it before 1995.
Agreed.. having owned a few Infiniti 3.5L VQ's over the past 10 yrs... they are better in my opinion then the Honda 3.5... more power, 300+ horse..etc..

·
Registered
427 Posts
As far as the 3rd row seat goes, it might not have as much legroom, but have you sat in the 3rd row of either the new Ody or Sienna? The Quest might not have as much legroom, but the Sienna and Ody both have major problems with their 3rd rows too. The Ody's comes from the arching roof line that makes the outboard seats feel very enclosed. The side windows are also very small. This is mainly because of the higher beltline and rounded off roof pillars.The sloping tailgate also doesn't help. The Sienna on the other hand has a very low ceiling. I walk around the interior of my Ody a lot and never really hit my head. My hair rubbed against the Sienna's roof several times in a few minutes. This was in an LE, which did not have a rear sunroof. The ceiling gets dropped another few inches when you add that option, and it comes standard on many of the higher end models. With that sunroof added, I can barely sit in the third row seat and run a finger between my hair and the roof. Also, the Sienna has problems with the side windows too. The problems here come from the door tracks that everybody keeps talking about. If you look inside the Quest, 3rd gen Ody, and even the 4th gen Ody, the 3rd row window's lower edge is about in line with the 2nd row. In the Sienna however, it sits a few inches higher than the 2nd row in order to accommodate those tracks that everyone is so happy to have incorporated into the beltline. This fact can be further supported by the window line in the Town & Country that also has the same issue. I don't like the way the 4th gen Ody's door tracks look, but I don't mind the 3rd gen's or really even the Quest's, but when given the option, I would pick 3rd row outward visibility over a door track built into the window line. This is also probably why the Sienna can't have the chrome lined windows. Those higher window's also make a frightening (at least for me) blind spot when changing lanes. Personally, I would ride in the back of the Quest before the Sienna or (new) Ody, simply because it isn't nearly as claustrophobic as the other two. I'm not saying the Quest has a superior 3rd row, but I can't really give Honda or Toyota all that much, if any, more credit on theirs.
Yes, sat in all 3rd rows.. the 2011 Oddy clearly has the most room back there and probably about the best comfort as well. Which is why you chose a 3rd row. Even indicated in the multitude of reviews. Claustrophobic? I disagree...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts