Honda Odyssey Forum banner

13" flip down LCD

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  finalcutjoe 
#1 ·
I'd like to thank the people who created this forum, and everyone else for keeping it going.
I am expecting my EX-L navi in a couple of days. First thing I am planning to do is to add a DVD system. I favor the larger screens because they reduce eye-strain, specially when you're moving. So I found this 13" flip down screen made by Pyle. This is selling for $549.00 at Etronics.com Not a bad price for a huge LCD. The only drawback is the lack of S-video input and 16:9 aspect ratio, but then again at 13", even with the bars on top and bottom, you have a respectable size picture.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/items/detail.asp?prodID=PLVW1330M

Does anyone have experience with Pyle? If so can you please comment on the quality, performance, etc.

Also has anyone installed a DVD system in a Ody with Nav? Whats the best place to mount the DVD player?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by sgoyal (edited 02-12-2002).]

#2 ·
Never seen the Pyle unit. I've heard that brightness (lack of, that is) is a problem with the larger LCDs. Be wary of that. Take a look if you can, check specs..

As far as DVD location, it depends on which unit you get. You could put a DIN model in the cupholder area or go under a front seat. Those would be the obvious places to consider. Most mobile DVD players have a remote eye option to mounting out of sight is no problem.

Good Luck! Let us know what you end up deciding!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

#4 ·
Yes, I agree that 13" is probably going overboard. 10" is probably an ideal size in my view, but I haven't seen that yet.

Am I the only one who thinks 7-8" screens cause eye strain in a moving vehicle? I don't have first hand experience, just speculating. Please share your experience in this regard.

#5 ·
We bought our EX-L Navi about a month and a half ago and are having our aftermarket DVD player relocated on Friday. We originally wanted it in the dash area, but the dealer said we couldn't. So the guy installed a self contained unit under one of the two rear captain's chairs. Well, after we told the guy that we weren't real happy with the install (for a couple of reasons), he mentioned that he could pull out the current one and mount a new one in the dash! So anyways, we're giving him back the under seat DVD player and having him install a Pioneer unit in the cupholder area. You can't install a DVD unit under a front seat because the Navi unit is already under the front passenger seat. I'm guessing the driver's side is electronic control (like ours) so there's no room there either. Yeah, you lose two cupholders by putting the DVD there, but the pull up tray is really nice and it really makes up for it.
As far as the screen goes, we have a 10" FlexVision screen and we're totally happy. I've heard that anything bigger than that really blocks your view... ours definitely hampers it. We really like the FlexVision because it's super bright and crisp.
Good luck and have fun.

#6 ·
We've got a roof mount Jensen 6.8 inch unit mounted just forward of the front seats. With the screen in the "down" position, you can just barely see underneath it with the rear view mirror, but at least you can see. I'm sure with a 13" screen, it will totally block your rear view vision, however, its not illegal to drive this way if you have side mirrors, you are legal.

While I don't often sit in the back to watch the video, the kids do, and they aren't complaining at all about the screen size. It's large enough for them to see it, even from the rear seats. However, a 13" unit would really be cool, although I suspect a little overkill for most.

By the way, another thing to consider is that you are going to have a fairly large size screen hanging down, which will not only block you view, will also cause you to be banging your head, arms, shoulders, etc., into it. I've whacked my head a few times on the Jensen unit...

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Dashtopper, Zaino'd

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GaussianRule:
You can't install a DVD unit under a front seat because the Navi unit is already under the front passenger seat. I'm guessing the driver's side is electronic control (like ours) so there's no room there either.</font>
Tight, check Videonavi's pics in the Gallery. He has a VCR under the driver's facing rear. He has Navi.

------------------
-Shin John

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 02-13-2002).]

#8 ·
GaussianRule,
The 10" screen sounds like what I want. Do you mind telling what you paid for it? Absolute Sound in the LA area wants $1K for the screen alone.

I have 2 more questions: When watching wide-screen movies, how high are the black bars at the top and bottom of screen? I am wondering since 90% of DVDs are 16:9 aspect ratio, would it better to just get a 16:9 aspect 8" rather than a 4:3 10"?

Would you be willing to put up some pictures of your install? Both of the in-dash unit and
of the screen.

Thanks for your help.

#9 ·
I think 10 inch is an overkill, I looked at one today.plus I don't think it is worth investing heavily in a video system for a car. one gets carried away for a new car, but it is a depriciating asset, I rather spend the big bucks in a Home Theatre. My opinion not to spend then more than $800 bucks on after market system. Plus these electronic shops push the products that gives them maximum profit. I was inquring about Icon TV. One dealer who sells them sang praises another who did'nt said it not that great, same story for panasonic.

#10 ·
sgoyal,

I'm not really sure how much we paid for the screen because we just bought the system as an aftermarket add-on to our purchase price (DVD, screen, and AUX jacks). But when I jokingly made references to the installer the other day about how they made some real money off of us (we paid $2K for the labor, screen, and DVD) he said 'not really.' The DVD unit was relatively cheap (maybe $350) but he basically told me the screen was over a grand by itself. The other nice thing about the screen is that it has a built in TV tuner so you can watch local stations. They don't come in the greatest, but it will come in handy at tail gate parties I hope!!! If you're like us and willing to spend a little extra, then you've got the right screen. We're in love and I can guarantee there will be no squinting from the back rows to see the movies!
Don't know what to tell you about the aspect ratios. I'll find some time either today or tomorrow to mess around with the screen a bit (haven't had the time yet) and I'll see what I can find out. I'll also take some digital photos and post them.
As an aside, the new in-dash DVD we just had installed (a Pioneer) remembers where you leave off on a movie... even when the car is turned off. I don't know about you, but with the other DVD unit we had it didn't do this, and my wife must have watched the beginning of Dumbo like a hundred times.

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
GaussianRule, Ok I am almost convinced I want to go with the 10" screen and the Flexvision unit looks good. We would be watching a lot of Indian DVDs and many are still 4:3 format.

Any chance of seeing some pictures of your screen and dvd player? I am just curious how the big screen looks hanging down in the Ody.

Thanks again

#12 ·
i have a flexvision 6.8 screen in my van. i do not have rear vision problems because is did not use the ugly plastic mounting pod that came with the screen. i have the screen mounted flush to the headliner and it looks great. i bought a digital camera today and have taken photos of the install. i just need to figure out how to post them on this site.

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

#13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fordsdad:
i bought a digital camera today and have taken photos of the install. i just need to figure out how to post them on this site.
</font>
First, you'll need a place to host your pics. If your ISP gives you webspace, that' the perfect place to put them. Then you can show them on this forum by linking in the image location. Or, as many others in this forum have done, use a 3rd party image hosting service like Fototime, Yahoo, Ofoto, etc...

Need more help on the nuts and bolts, let us know. Worst comes to worst, if you only have a couple of pics, email them to me and I'll put them up for you on my website.

------------------
-Shin John

#15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fordsdad:
...i just need to figure out how to post them on this site.</font>
It appears that you use Telus.net as your ISP.<ul>[*]Create your "<a href="http://www.telus.net/newebspace/edit/">Telus Webspace</a>."[*]Use the Telus <a href="http://www3.telus.net/cgi-bin/filemgr2/filemgr">file manager</a> to upload your pictures to your webspace.[*]Post the link to your images here using <a href="http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/ubbcode.html">UBB code</a> or html.[/list]

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

#16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shareef:
shinjohn:

just out of curiousity do you get enough ad. revenue to keep this site running.
</font>
Shinjohn owns this site ? Huh, Shinjohn ? HUH, HUH ?
(jk)

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

#17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shareef:
shinjohn:

just out of curiousity do you get enough ad. revenue to keep this site running.
</font>
Well, aside financing my South American drug ring and money laundering operations, there's a little left over for this website... (hee, hee)

OK, seriously, this non-profit site is actually owned by a Mr. Jim F. who has been running it from the start. I just help out a little by contributing specifically to the A/V, security and Nav forum.

In speaking of "my website" for picture posting, I was refering to my own personal webspace, where I've posted things for people in the past. That webspace being hosted by an ISP, completely separate from Odyclub.com.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:
Shinjohn owns this site ? Huh, Shinjohn ? HUH, HUH ?
(jk)
</font>
Man, I really am moving up in this world, huh? First moderator, and now this. Thanks Jim!

------------------
-Shin John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.