Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >114k miles, Honda tow pkg.
631 Posts
I believe the product, and skill of the installer, are the exception here, not the rule.
Yeah in a former life I did stereo installs so I certainly appreciate quality components and clean installs. However no need for expensive bling at this point in my life - this was a relatively cheap unit and basic install... But I am impressed with the appearance and ease of installation.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It is our only car and we do a lot of driving with kids and dogs.
Take a look at the financial implications. About 4 years ago, our 2006 Odyssey needed a transmission rebuild (the actual repair was replacement with a rebuilt transmission). Cost of the repair was about $3,500 if I remember correctly, plus renting a car for a week. The car had 180K miles.

The calculation was actually pretty simple:

1) a 10 year old car with 180K miles and broken transmission is worth scrap value, around $500-1000
2) A car payment for a similarly equipped vehicle we estimated at $600 a month for 3-4 years.

So if you run the numbers, the fix deferred about 6 months of car payments. We sold the car 12 months later for $3,800. The net is that it avoided car payments for a new car for 6 months, we sold the car for the value of the fix, which netted us about $3,600, plus our new car was six months newer.

If you're willing to take on a 3-5 year car payment to avoid a $1,000 fix (which you admit you have no idea if you really need), then that's probably a choice you're comfortable with.

How much do you estimate the payment for a new(er) car will be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 Odyssey that has just over 100k miles on it. Today It wouldn't start. I got a jump and it started no problem, then promptly replaced the battery. It sat for a few hours, and did start back up, but struggled a bit. It's due for 100k-110k service, and may also need an alternator. It also has started making a clicking sound in the front end when turning.
Now the car is paid off, but with the milage and the cost of the potential repairs, is it worth fixing, (how much more time can i get out of it) or should I trade up?
I have a 2014 Odyssey that has just over 100k miles on it. Today It wouldn't start. I got a jump and it started no problem, then promptly replaced the battery. It sat for a few hours, and did start back up, but struggled a bit. It's due for 100k-110k service, and may also need an alternator. It also has started making a clicking sound in the front end when turning.
Now the car is paid off, but with the milage and the cost of the potential repairs, is it worth fixing, (how much more time can i get out of it) or should I trade up?
check alternate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on how you feel about taking on a new car payment! Sounds like you may have a couple thousand in repairs/maintenance with the timing belt service (typically $900-1200 at the dealer), and maybe some other repairs. In general, these vans are pretty reliable assuming you do the scheduled maintenance (including transmission fluid changes) and disable the VCM system. There are plenty of posters here with well over 150K reliable miles.

Was this your first new battery? Most only get 3-4 years out of one. Any other warning lights on the dash? Clicking while turning sounds like a bad CV joint or axle.
our 2007 Honda Odyssey Some times i

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jolene:

We have a 2014 Honda Odyssey and our van has about 112,000 miles. We replaced the timing belt ourselves ($380 for parts and some tools) and generally our van has been pretty reliable. I replaced front rotors and brakes ($150), solenoid valve ($120), one ignition coil ($48), and a battery ($90). We are on the third set of tires and I do the routing oil and transmission fluid changes. The dealership asked $1,680 for the timing belt, so if you want to keep the van, try to find a reputable local shop that will do the service for much less $$$. I have also installed a VCM disable kit ($100), and this is the only car we have kept for more than five years. I am done paying for a new car, that is what my wife said.

However, now the market is really strange. You can sell your van yourself for a very decent money. Used cars are going for top $$$. Initially, I wanted to sell my van and as soon as I posted for sale, three serious customers jumped on it. I asked $13,500, but my wife persuaded me to keep the van and do the service. My son is 15 years and I am a blind car enthusiast. We replaced the timing belt together. He was my eyes, and I was the brain. Anyhow, I hope you do the right decision.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Don't forget the much higher depreciation on a new vehicle.

If the decision is purely financial, it almost never pays to get a new vehicle over repairing the current one.

-Charlie
Anecdotally, one of those exceptions would be something like a 30 year old Italian car. An old Fiat or Alfa worth little, but a bottomless black hole of needs.

Reactions: Edward M McDowell

·
Registered
101 Posts
Let us know the answers to the following and we could give you better info.
Find out why the engine is cranking normally- new battery defective? starter problem?
How is this vehicle used? Primary vehicle for long distance? Local or secondary use?
Was the timing belt previously replaced? If not, that will be a fairly large expense.
What is the overall condition of the vehicle? Acceptable for intended use?
As others have pointed out, a new vehicle is a large expense. Sometimes it pays to have a newer
vehicle due to reliability, safety improvements and satisfaction of specific needs (such as needing the vehicle for
long distance driving where a break down could present greater difficulty than a local break down.)
Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
check alternate
our 2007 Honda Odyssey Some times i
check alternate
we have a 2007 Honda Odyssey- EX-L Some times I have to just Pull IT TO Neutral AND BACK INTO PARK And It Will Start Right Now The Alarm System Fuse Or AC Regulator Fuse Will Go OUT And The AC Will Not Come On And Stay On And You Push The Button And I Will Come On And off It's only The Regulator Fuse 8 Dollars Auto ZONE and if It's The Alarm TAKE THE CABLES Lose RUB THE CABLES Together Count TO 30 OR 60 And PUT THE CABLES BACK ON THE BATTERY AND IT WILL RESET ITS SELF AND START UP Honda Is A Amazing Automobile To Work On

·
Registered
33 Posts
99 Odyssey, 300K miles, 06 Odyssey, 160k miles no problems. Do regular maintenance and no car payments:eek:

·
Registered
2003 EX, 2012 EX
78 Posts
Get the alternator tested (and replaced if necessary) first, then the CV replaced second, then save up for the timing belt which can certainly wait till you have the cash.
I'd do the timing belt and alternator simultaneously. A decent independent mechanic would probably replace the alternator for the cost of the part alone if they were doing the timing belt at the same time, since they need to remove the accessory belt anyway. A dealer will probably charge book time for each job separately even if they are done together.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No one recommended replacing the plugs at the TB replacement time. Isn't that necessary? On our 2006 EX-L, we did plugs with the TB. Sold it in 2018 with over 300K miles. Plus replace the tensioner with the TB.

OP may have gotten an older battery off the shelf.

Also, we love our 2016 EX-L gen4. Lanewatch is awesome on the interstates. Beautiful car. all-around. Just wish it had built-in armrests on second row.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope that the new battery was fully charged before it was installed. They usually sit around in inventory for awhile and naturally lose charge on the shelf. Installing it, starting up the car, then letting it sit for a few hours didn't charge it. Get a quality charger and charge the battery before replacing the alternator.
My 2011 has the same clicking noise and there is a tsb about that. It is not necessarily the axles. especially if the boots are still good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
start here, by reading the god awful long list of TSB's

Read the forum. Spend some time here. Do your homework before spending $30k+ of your hard earned money. After many straight years on Consumer Reports "recommended" list, CU no longer recommends the Odyssey. On the other hand, if the Odyssey has something that is particularly special to you, maybe you might want to go ahead and buy it.

You will see that OdyClub contributors' faith in the Gen5 is waning. And the folks here are usually loyal to the Honda brand. That tells you something. For me, I'm not so concerned about warranty work or recalls, but I am concerned about out of pocket when the warranty expires. I have a 2016 Gen4 and it has never had any warranty issues of any kind, it's never been back to the dealer. There was a recall issue with the rear seat mounts, just one recall. My rear seats have always been stored in the garage, so that's OK for now. Gen5 has many different issues, mostly electrical in nature. Electrical issues can be very expensive to diagnose and fix.
Have the new battery load tested. I once, years ago, replaced an old battery and the new one failed in a few days. They replaced it no questions asked after a load test. It certainly isn't likely but it is possible.
Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and the store where you bought the battery usually do a battery test at no cost, and you might get your issue diagnosed at the same time. Maybe it's a loose or corroded connection between the battery and the starter, or possibly, a bad starter solenoid. A bad alternator will turn on a dashboard warning light, which you don't have, so look hard elsewhere for the issue before replacing the alternator.

In the back of their minds, many people think a car as something that has a useful life of a hundred thousand miles. Not true - it's two or three times that today, for many or even most cars. But there are maintenance items that will need fixing to get that mileage, like brakes, CV joints and batteries. And an occasional failed part as well. Especially with a vehicle with 100k on it, you will be ahead of the game to do what needs to be done to maintain an older vehicle. Same with us - as we age, our doctor bills will usually go up.

Always remember - you drive a car in to a shop, you can always drive it out - and think things over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just traded my 2014 EXL with 113k miles .. transmission seemed to slipping a little and the auto sliding doors would stick often, then pop open with a large bang. I took it to the dealer several times with video and they said the could never replicate it. Had a good friend who had the tranny go on his 2014 this summer with just over a 100k .. I guess this helped me decide to finally ditch it. Trade in value is a an all-time high also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m in agreement with repairs. Ask around and go with a local repair shop. Last year found a great independent mechanic and we will be keeping our ‘06 Odyssey for at least another 5 years. Personally I cannot justify buying a new van for 40,000+

·
Registered
719 Posts
Although I like Honda and have had many over the years including Acura's and yes even Toyota's.
I am in no way a fanboy, and try to remain objective and critical when required.

You ever try to have a critical conversation about Apple with an Apple fanboy?

I try not to be "That Guy"
😄

·
Registered
15 Posts
Repairs will be cheaper than a new van no matter how look at it. You probably have a parasitic draw on the battery that can be diagnosed, it's unlikely you actually need a new alternator, but check to see if there was recall on your model. As a general rule if repairs cost less than the yearly payments you would make, repairs make sense. Specially with Honda's, they are very reliable mechanically so you maintain them and drive them for many years. I'm driving a 2003 with 160k miles on it. I haven't spent more than $5k in parts and repairs over the last 17 years and I've never broken down on the road or been stranded. I do the work myself, but had I paid someone else I still wouldn't have spent more than $10k on repairs. A new van is what? $30k You'll want to do your timing belt in the next year or so, and make sure you have them change your transmission fluid if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you disable the VCM? I have 2014 with only 51000, but great automobile; love it and will drive until it's ready for parts. Did all scheduled maintenance and and on second battery.
Roger

21 - 40 of 41 Posts