Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife brought in our Odyssey at a dealer for a scheduled 15k service. The dealer was trying to sell us a fuel cleaning and a wheel alignment at $100 a piece. I told her not to do it was I think they are trying to add services that are really not needed.

Did I do the right thing?

·
Registered
483 Posts
You definitely & absolutely did the right thing. At 15k miles, what the heck is there to clean. Also, wheel alignment should not be done unless you are experiencing vibration in your steering wheel at certain speeds or if you banged up you wheels on a curb. And at 15k miles, geez! They want your money really bad.

One experiment you can try is not have them do it at all. Then bring it yourself and see what they say. We should set up a dealer database here so that we know which dealers to avoid. It will be for the benefit of everybody. We have to document what they said/have done so that we can refer to it at a later date.

In fairness to other dealers, there are good ones out there. We just have to know who they are.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by takeshi brock:
For those who wanted to know that dealer is Capitol Honda in San Jose, California.
</font>
What did they offer to do for 15k service, besides oil and filter change? How much did you pay?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

[This message has been edited by bjk2001 (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could anyone inform a future Ody owner how often the regularly scheduled maintenance is (in terms of time and mileage)and what is the usual cost?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Regular scheduled maintenance work are all outlined in your manual. This normally tells you what needs to be done depending on mileage and weather/driving conditions. However, some of them you may not want the dealer to do 'coz they always are after your money. The question "Would this void my warranty?" now begs to be answered. There are a lot of guys here that can answer that so I leave it to them.

As for my experience, I usually do my oil changes every 3000 to 3500 miles. I do keep my receipts for oil and OEM Honda filter purchases. I change(swap) my tires during the spring & fall and rotate them mid summer.

Hopefully, this helps you a bit but I'm sure some of the knowledgable guys would reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts