Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided to change the plugs on the wife's 2002 Odyssey.

I took them out at about 70k and then at 120k to check them. At 150k+ I figured it was time to change them.

Can't really tell any difference in the way it drives though idle seems a little more smooth.

The gap was still @ 1.1 mm on all 6 and you can see the wear below. I spent the $60 and reinstalled the same NGK R PZFR5F-11.

This plug seemed to look the worse out of all of them.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I never understood the concept of owning a $25K + car and then penny pinching on $100 maintenance item. But that's just me I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who's penny pinching? I had no miss, no issues with fuel mileage, no major wear why fix something that isn't broken?

The timing belt on the other hand was changed when recommended and the brake system (master cylinder, hoses, calipers, rotors, pads) was completely replaced at 140k miles.

If the van needed it the van got it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you buy a 50k mile tire do you change them when they hit 50k miles or do you change them when their usefull life is up at possibly 70k miles?

I changed the timing belt at the recommended service interval because it can cause damage and can't be easily inspected for issues.

Spark plugs are not going to do damage as long as you are not running them to the point of misfires or complete failure. I inspected them, payed attention to what the van was doing and left them for a few more miles.

I mainly posted this up to show just how good the OEM plugs perform.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
psrumors said:
Spark plugs are not going to do damage as long as you are not running them to the point of misfires or complete failure. I inspected them, payed attention to what the van was doing and left them for a few more miles.
Are you sure about that? Did you happen to see the handful of threads where the sparkplug blew out of the engine and caused head damage? Its only $60 and just like the timing belt, the owner's manual says to replace at 105K so replace at 105K v/s trying to gamble on your good fortunes till now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dvpatel said:
Are you sure about that? Did you happen to see the handful of threads where the sparkplug blew out of the engine and caused head damage? Its only $60 and just like the timing belt, the owner's manual says to replace at 105K so replace at 105K v/s trying to gamble on your good fortunes till now.
And why did those plugs blow out of the head?

I saw several of the threads and some were low mileage engines which would be indicative of a bad head casting, poor installation of the plug by the factory or bad threads on the plug.

Also saw threads where people left the plug in for many miles, many years and the threads of the plug and the cylinder head fused together stripping the threads from the head upon removal.

So, if a plug is funtioning properly it will not do damage. Extenuating circumstances can damage the head.

·
Registered
309 Posts
150k is a long way for a platinum plug, I am sure at 120k they needed replaced (rounded edges are a sign)

NGK laser Iridiums would go longer, but they don't make them for the 2002. My 2007 will get these when needed.

The good news is the ignition system in the Ody is strong and it can jump the spark even on worn out plugs :)

I agree that you run little risk in damaging anything with old plugs if the engine doesn't miss or ping or drop off fuel economy, so probably not worth worrying about.

I still replace plugs on time, just like changing oil, it's a hobby and helps me sleep better at night :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand what you are saying Kenny. At 120k miles they still looked good. The last 30k took care of them.

Having vehicles with forced induction and nitrous I have "read" quite a few plugs. I was surprised that the plugs were still good at 70k and amazed at the shape they were in at 120k.

At 150k, yeah, they probably should have been changed when they were still looking good at 120k but now I know.

When the van hits 270k miles it may very well be time to change the plugs. Of course that is if the trans makes it that long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts