Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'll be going mid 70's down the highway in my 95 EX in 4th gear when out of the blue, the RPMs would pop up just a little and I would feel a very slight deceleration, as if I dropped from 4th gear to an imaginary 3.9th gear. It'll stay like this for the rest of the highway.

I'm not running the A/C and not making any large electrical changes. It's as if an overdrive dropped out or the only other thing I can imagine it that the ATF in my torque converter suddenly lost viscosity... It's a very slight difference but it is sudden enough to notice.

When the A/C compressor turned off and on while I'm driving I could feel it. It's similar to that but right now my compressor clutch is shot so I don't even bother.

Any ideas what it could be? I can't tell you how long it's been since the last trans fluid/filter(s?) change...

Thanks in advance!

--Darius in Florida

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your at the point where it probably doesn't matter what you do, because that vehicle is going to start sucking all your money away. If you feel putting money into a vehicle with that many miles on it is worth it then do it.

Regarding your problem: My parents have the exact same vehicle as yours but with only about 170,000 miles on it. Ironically, my dad mentioned he had the same problem as you are having. All we did to fix it for his van was changed the throttle to where the rpms at idle were about 500 more than normal. So, I believe he set it at 1500 rpms idle. It took care of the problem.

Concerning your gage jumping around: That happened in our 1984 Subaru GL back in the day when it crossed over about the same miles as you have on your van (That 84 Subaru made it to 258k before it just fell apart. Engine was still good though), and my dad just assumed the gage wore out. He went another almost 30,000 miles before the car's body gave out.

Personally, just take it in and see what they say.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts