Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Odyssey - 170k in excellent condition. What should I ask?

Looking to trade up [in size] to 2nd generation. Or should I go for 3rd? IF I was to sell ol'reliable, what do these things go for? I've found no local examples online. Whad'ya think?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Assuming you can write up a decent CL ad and take good pics, and live near enough a population center to have a decent market, I would start at $3,500 and see how many responses I got. You can always write a new ad and reduce the price until sold.

I bought my '98 with 120k in 2009 for $4,200. I think it is in very good condition (a 7 out of 10). I have seen very few cars that are more than 10 years old that I would describe as excellent condition.

That being said, I think the newer Odys are heavy, complicated, and some years are more trouble prone. I think the simplicity of having two back doors that swing out is an advantage. I just took 5 people skiing for two days, and got all the gear, skis etc. in the car with room to spare. It drives great in snow (within reason) and got 26 MPG in mountain driving. As I understand it, the '96 and '97 are even more bullet proof, and get as good or better MPG, than my '98, which has been almost problem free.

But you have enough late '90s Hondas to know if you like them or not, so I'll get off my soapbox. Good luck with your sale, and your next ride.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I love the '1996 and yes, they are very bullet proof. Simple to work on. Unfortunately, we've literally outgrown it. ONLY wanting to upgrade for size. 1st gen with "zero+" cargo just doesn't work anymore, especially on those 10+ hour drives home to visit with 3 kids.

I'm looking at 2001's now, only because in my immediate [small] area there just happens to be a number of 2001 Odys. Mileage running between 90k&110k on that year it seems. Price range 7k-9k. Anxious about the move away from the simplicity of the 1st gen, but evolve we must.

Never seen a '98. Sure they are around, but seems I've only seen a lot of 96-97 [like mine], then a jump up to 2000s.

Maybe I'll just keep the 96 Ody and chunk my 98 Accord. Wonder how many kayaks I could pile on the roof of my Ody? :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glancing through the specs, the 2nd gen Ody is heavier (2000 lbs). One out fo three local ads I looked at said rebuilt transmission, at 130k miles. The timing belt should be changed according to its interval, which may be right around 90k. I'm not sure what Honda's position is on valve adjustments for the 3.5L engine. I know a lot of CRV engines have been damaged because of tight valves. I adjusted valves on my '98 in a couple of hours (did it twice to make sure). On a V6, it may take several hours for a technician.

On the upside, you will get lots more room and all the new stuff like side airbags, power everything, etc. I think you will spend more than the 1st gen, but your sanity is worth something also. And we all will have to move up eventually.

I only have two kids so the size issue is not as bad, so far. We can pack Grandma in the middle seat, put the cooler in the other middle seat, and the kids ride in the back. I have to enforce tight rules on bringing stuff, but I like it better that way anyway. I have a 2" receiver hitch, so a hitch rack is an option. With Grandma in the back I hit the right rear bump stop on big freeway dips, so I am working on a set of air bags for the rear coil springs. And a small enclosed trailer could be in our future as well. Good luck with your search, and if you upgrade let us know how you like it.

Ody Cargo pic.jpg EnclosedSportSmall.png

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We looked at "5" 2nd Gen Odys today. 2001x3, 2002x1, and my favorite was a 2003ex with 101k on it. The 2003 is practically perfect but a special situation has the owner only having it 6 months with no knowledge of maintenance. Consequently, he doesn't know if the timing belt was done, so I assume not. Still, it has a clear title, no leans, and an owner in financial distress_so possibly a fair deal even if I immediately do the timing belt. Again, it is the cleanest I've seen.

With a 2nd Gen I realize the transmission is more a documented issue. Every one I've looked at [all five today] have no record of getting a new transmission and all have between 90k & 120k miles. I look at it this way. I take my chances regardless. Even on my old 1996, I remember reading of all types of problems that I never had. On the 2nd Gen you read of folks going through 3-4 transmissions and then you read of those at 170k with the original. Who knows right?

I plan to research the transmissions issues. If I do purchase a 2nd gen and research says the trans issues are most likely 'heat' related, then I'll install a trans cooler and pray for the best. We live in a very mild climate, so maybe that'll help.

Decided for sure to keep the 1st Gen [even if we buy a 2nd Gen] at this point. Too tough a little van to toss. I'll sell my Accord instead. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts